As a new Mac user, turn me into a power user!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nightmarerecon, Sep 5, 2014.

1. nightmarerecon macrumors newbie

Like many people, I was a lifetime Windows users for the close to 17 years now. I considered getting a Mac a few years ago, but the specs were underwhelming, the prices were still high, and support was limited. But after breaking my old laptop a year ago, I needed one as I am starting the joy that is law school. I found that MBA was actually one of the best values on the market.

Are there any good guide for become a Mac Power User quickly? Particularly for a past Windows user.

I want to understand everything from OSX to iTunes or iCloud to the Terminal to all the utilities, Everything Possible. Integrate me completely into the community.

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Your local library might be a good place to start; there are many books out there beyond the obvious 'Macs for Dummies', that are specifically aimed at Mac novices coming from the PC world.

Also forums like these are excellent places to post practical questions about any specific problems you may encounter during your inevitable 'learning curve'. I've found from experience that there are a good many very knowledgeable forum members on this particular site that will be more than happy to share their knowledge with you. Best of Luck!!

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I think the best book when switching from Windows is David Pogue's "Switching to the Mac". It provides translation between the Windows way and the Mac way.

4. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

+1 for Pogue's Switching to the Mac. It’s what I used when I made the switch.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree... then for more advanced info get Pogue's Missing Manual book.

Apple has some good "switching" info at this page.

For Terminal, here is a "man" (manual) page with Terminal commands and how to use them.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Besides terminal all the other software things are more or less intuitive nowadays.

7. satcomer, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Plus if you have an older NAS CIFS have and want use Time Machine on that NAS I have a hack to use the CIFS for Time Machine. Just follow the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app commands on the blog Configuring OS X Mountain Lion Time Machine to Work With CIFS (SMB) Share (don't worry this still works on 10.9.X). The Terminal is just a little better than the Windows command line.

Plus there is also another way to backup a Mac as with a clone that you can boot a Mac from is clone. IMHO the best cloning software for a Mac is Carbon Copy Cloner!