As a seller, I got scammed on eBay/Paypal.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aaquib, Aug 22, 2009.

1. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

So I sold a Blackberry Bold on eBay for $490 shipped. Everything went well, the buyer paid and it was in my Paypal. Then 2 weeks later, Paypal just holds the funds and I see a negative $200 balance in my Paypal (I had $290 in there already). I call Paypal today and they say that the buyer's funding source (a credit card) had been stolen and so it's under Payment Review. However, the buyer opted for the shipping without tracking. Apparently, if there isn't tracking, Paypal doesn't have any Seller Protection and now I'm out $490.

What do I do now? Do I have any further options or things I can do? The buyer is in Vietnam and there is no way for me to contact him/her. This is really disappointing, and the buyer is no longer even registered on eBay. :(

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Ouch, major suckage. You didn't get dinner, a movie, dancing, or flowers... but you sure enough got the shaft.

Did Paypal really tell you that you had no options? Callous, even for them. I cannot believe you would be held for that -- they are the clearinghouse, after all. ????

You're a brave man, shipping to 'nam. Did you know that's where it was going?

Sorry...

4. iGary Guest

iGary

5. aaquib thread starter macrumors 65816

aaquib

I knew it was going to Vietnam, but I've shipped to Singapore (on eBay) before without problems so assumed everything would go smoothly. I've only heard of Nigerian scammers. I just figured since the advertise their seller protection so much that I'd be covered. The gentlemen I spoke to on the phone was very rude considering I just got nearly $500. He basically just said "sucks for you, next time get a tracking #."

6. Surely Guest

Surely

Agreed. I stopped buying stuff from there after the last couple of experiences I had. Too many scumbags.

Sorry OP, that really sucks. I'd give paypal another call, and ask to speak with a supervisor- someone who may have more experience with this kind of stuff. Tell them that you are considering to close up your account if this isn't remedied.

7. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

1. Why did you mail such an expensive item outside canada/us.

2. No tracking (how were you going to prove item was ever delivered, plus paypal requires signature confirmation on all items over $250 to be elligible for paypal protection)

I hate paypal/ebay as much as the next guy but if you are going to be using their services why not stay informed and try and protect yourself.

8. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Nice quote. :)

OP sorry to hear of your eBay woes.

Seems like eBay is getting risker to use ... unfortunately. Great idea, but too many scumbags trying to rip folks off.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Here is what I don't get. You scam a store like this the police are on it. You scam an independent seller and no one cares.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

This.

It pisses some people off, but you have to take certain steps to protect yourself. (Not that there are no scammers in CONUS, but it lessens the risk.)

12. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Singapore is literally a different world than Vietnam. I don't want to re-start a political argument, but it appears a Canadian would have a different view of Vietnam than would an American.. at least one my age.

Maybe Jimmy Carter could negotiate something for you. Otherwise, you are boned for sure.

13. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

CONUS - (CON)tinental (U)nited (S)tates. I know what you meant, North America. But CONUS excludes Canada by very definition.

14. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Singapore and Vietnam are alike in the same way that Miami and Nicaragua are alike.

15. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Never deal with international buyers, like said before, plain and simple. This way has worked for me all the time, with no issues (since 2002).

16. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

Well you can trust the Canadians. They're the friendly neighbors up north. Haha. Not so sure about the people down south.