As an emerging gaming platform, iOS needs...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sentinelsx, Aug 5, 2011.

1. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

...a game pad accessory.

Seriously, with Steve and co. touting iPod touch and iPhone as mobile gaming replacements to the likes of the PSP, I would at least expect them to allow the manufacture of an apple certified game pad add-on if not a sliding one a la xperia play. After a two month hiatus with iPhone RPGs and fps games I decided to get silent ops today.

The graphics are good, the game is decent, but after just 10 mins of gameplay I realize why I need to dump it ASAP. The touch controls frustrate to no end. You think you have pressed an action button after taping furiously or swipe to move camera and walk at same time, and then you almost want to pull your hair out.

Same reason I dumped black Pegasus eventually. Amazing game and nice auto- aim but quickly becomes a control fight.

Maybe it's my big hands and iPhone's small screen. But without a gaming pad all I can see myself play rail-based games (I.e. Infinity blade) or angry birds type ones which bore me after a few mins and I delete them.

I find it sad people say PSP sales are declining due to the iOS gaming. Because people love to be masochists? I think one of the better wish list items for iPhone 5 is a gamepad accessory. I mean what are you going to do with the A5, place calls and send texts a fraction of a second faster?

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

The iPhone is just that; a phone. It's not meant to be a PSP, leave gaming to computers and consoles. The logistics of implementing a game-pad case to the phone would require apps to be updated to be able to use the buttons, and even then I can see a lot of developers simply ignoring it as most people probably wouldn't buy the game-pad anyway. Also, the iPhone has a far greater range of uses than simply gaming, the A5 is not only put there for gaming improvements.

I advise you to look at getting a DS, a PS Vita, or maybe even an Xperia Play, as the iPhone doesn't seem to suit your needs.

3. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

It could be done, but apple won't make it. It would need to be done by a third party, and apps would have to be coded to support it.

At the end of the day, it would be easier and faster to just buy a psp or something.

4. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I brought this up when someone in another thread said 'the iphone is a tool, not something meant for games' (paraphrasing).

"iOS is the WORLDS most popular gaming platform."

Straight from the iOS 5 video on Apple.com. You kind of contradict yourself, saying "..it's just that, a phone." and then continue with it "has a far greater range of uses". Which is it; just a phone, or a device with a wide range of uses?

Anyway, consider Apples touting of being the most popular gaming platform, I'd think something like this wouldn't be completely out of the question.

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

By gaming I meant serious gaming (think Elder Scrolls, COD, Portal) as it seems to be the sort of experience the OP is looking for. I play lots of games on my phone, but I never expect the sort of experience I'd get from a console.

I'm not saying it'll never happen, I'm just saying it's pretty unlikely, and that for what the OP wants he should look at a portable console to fill the gap.

6. ap3604 macrumors 68000

"As an emerging gaming platform, iOS needs a game pad accessory"

I agree :)

An official Apple gamepad would such a big hit I don't know why they dot make it.

You can still use wiimote and icontrolpad for physical controls with the jailbreak game emulators at least :)

Apple needs to get off it's ads though and take over the gaming market! ;)

7. sentinelsx thread starter macrumors 68010

Well it suits my other needs very well hence my refrain from an xperia play. Guess this is one area I have to compromise and buy a separate console despite almost every console/console-copy game available on app store.

My point is simply it's only going to make things better. Sure you need some coding and what not but people adapt. Apple has made tons of changes and added functionality in the past people said was impossible and this is one of the long overlooked features.

Also according to many reviews gaming apps are the biggest percentage of installed apps. There are mmorpgs which remind you of and play like big titles such as WoW. And the fact that gameloft etc are making RPGs/fps games every month means people do buy those and could greatly benefit from a gamepad.

There are unofficial gamepads for older iOS versions which work for only emulators and in jailbroken state. Apple can definitely come up with a cheap solution, my understanding is they are probably fearing a patent fight over controller design lol.

8. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

I really don't see the iPhone as a 'gaming device' to be honest. From an owner of a 2 PS3s, 360, DS Lite, PSP etc. I always have something to use when out and about and when out it's usually the PSP, people can call it old and stuff but to be fair I find the find the games and actual buttons a lot better on it despite it coming up to being 7 years old. Can't wait for the Vita too, you should consider that OP.

9. Skika macrumors 68030

I would love an gamepad accessory for the iPhone. Or dual shock support for the iPad.

10. Paradoxpm macrumors member

I think half of the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad gaming experience comes from the touch interface. Don't know how useful it'd be to have physical buttons.
    "What if you think of a new feature 6 months from now?"

11. sentinelsx thread starter macrumors 68010

The best touch based experience requires that the character be moved around by the game itself/by the user by pointing to moving markers and the user taps the screen for certain actions only. Such as infinity blade or rage HD. The concept is nice. If most RPG/FPS games can adopt this model while incorporating a few cutscenes etc it wouldn't be so bad.

But 90%+ of them are using the on screen moving D-pad with additional controls for other actions. In addition to that you have the swipe to move camera as well. This is where a gaming pad is desirable.

Look at real racing/ real racing 2 touch controls (i hate tilt controls btw) and NFS games controls. There is world of difference. The way real racing touch controls are laid out and their sensitivity makes the game far more fun to enjoy compared to almost all NFS titles I have tried on the phone. The newest unleashed 2 copies the layout but fails to deliver.

Another good example (a non-iOS one btw) is The Harvest (WP7). You can tap anywhere on screen to move and just tap at anything to interact or tap an enemy to shoot, instead of Zenonia where the d-pad is the only way to move around.

If Apple is not going to make an accessory in the near future maybe the developers could abandon the third-person point of view altogether and go for a first person and allow the game to be responsible for character movement. In other words, we need them to switch to tap friendly interfaces instead of sliding fingers across the screen all the time or lobby Apple for a game pad. One of two would be nice :)

12. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

As a hardcore gamer I would like to say that an iOS device would never take the place of my PS3 or PC. End of story.

13. ESPN macrumors regular

Thank you , truly entertaining post especially at the end.

I still don't see iOS taking over gaming, whether its super mario or call of duty, it just can't be replicated to succeed on iOS.

14. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I've alway supported a gamepad-like accessory, but I don't think it will ever work out. First, Apple won't make it. That leaves a third party in a risky spot. Then you need lots of developer to alter their app or make new app just for your controller. Most won't even think about it. Most people won't use the controller and everyone on iOS has the touch screen. Developers will just use a touch screen interface. a controller could make a lot more games such as FPS work in iPhone, but probably won't happen.

15. sentinelsx thread starter macrumors 68010

PS3 or PC are not mobile gaming platforms. Try PSP or DS.

16. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I'm with ya, brother. Even attempting an iPhone/iPad game that needs a game controller is an exercise in frustration. I've all but given up any kind of deeper game on iOS and stuck with simple ones like angry birds or doodle jump. My friends keeps trying to get me to play RPGs and FPS's but everyone I tried is a joke control wise. Thank god for PC games.

17. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

iOS still can't replace my PSP or DS either. Gaming on a mobile device just sucks compared to what handheld consoles can do. And when we consider what handheld gaming will become with the PS Vita there's no way iOS could replace that. What I'm saying is gaming on a mobile device is made for 'time wasting' rather than actual gaming but that's expected and iOS does a great job of that which is why I don't see any need for a game pad accessory.