as David Byrne sez... still waiting.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Virgil-TB2, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Isn't anyone else kind of miffed a bit at the lack of mac pro upgrades? I was waiting as well, but decided to wait some more as this is probably the most expensive computer I will ever buy in my life.

I keep thinking they must do a serious upgrade on this thing soon as the value equation is seriously lacking.

- It currently prices out at about 400 dollars more than a similar spec Windows PC (not that I want a WinPC anyway), and the Windows PC comes with a monitor.

- The only upgrade in almost a year is a different processor option for the high end models.

- The new iMac has double the memory and double the HDD of the Pro.

I *really* want this thing but it's just such a bad deal right now I can't believe it. IMO they should at least bring it up to 2Gig RAM and 500 Gig HD for the same price to make it competitive.

2. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Are you kidding???? Read the threads in this forum man, there are PLENTY of us who are miffed at Apple foresaking the Mac Pro and continuing to sell 2006 parts at 2006 prices, the video card being probably the biggest sticking point for me. There are quite a few of us waiting, but some have caved and bought. Can't really blame them though, as many of us have been waiting a long long time.

By the way, do Apple Store gift cards expire?? I got some for Christmas, expecting a Mac Pro update at MacWorld which we all know didn't happen...

3. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

No they do not! That would suck.

"Does the Apple Gift Card expire?
    Apple does not place an expiration date on Apple Gift Cards. However, there may be rules defined by the laws of your state that require Apple to terminate your right to use your Apple Gift Card if you have not used it within a specified number of years. Under those laws, Apple is required to attempt to contact you before terminating your right to use your card."

http://www.apple.com/go/giftcards/faqs.html

4. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

settle down..the apple store is down and i bet the Mac Pros are being updated..I HOPE>>but i doupt it.

Brad

5. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Stupid Apple Store and putting up or taking off third party stuff. Or the guy watching the site for hacks or something went to the bathroom.

Yea, I'm waiting for the updated MacPro. Makes sense too. Old video cards. Old chips. Old prices. Newer and better stuff are out now. It'll so be worth it all in the end.

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

The chips are NOT old...Jeez man. Matter of fact, only very recently Intel put the X5365 chips, which were Apple exclusive, on the market.

The motherboard is not "old" either.

The ONLY old (but does not matter for me) part is the video card, which I don't give a crap about anyway. By the time I will need a new card, the 8800GTX (Or better) will work on the Apple, so I'll grab it and flash it with an Apple firmware.

7. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Please tell me you are kidding. Every other chip in the Mac Pro besides the one added as an OPTION is old. Clovertown costs the same. Harpertown will be cheaper than that.

Step out of the RDF.

If you buy the eight-core, excluding GPUs and the chipset, you are getting a decent deal. If not, you are getting ripped off. Thats all there is to it.

8. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

I sure am getting really sick of this same old crap. The mac pro is not old. It was a year ahead of its time when it was released. PERIOD.

9. Zel macrumors regular

I dont think there is a faster processor from intel right now in production than the 3.0ghz quadcores that are used in the current powermac.

I agree with SDAVE, the only thing old about them is the videocard, which shouldnt matter to non-gamers using a professional workstation anyway.

10. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Hmm yeah. Using current processors, chipsets, and GPUs from a year ago made it ahead of its time... Hardly. I guess you would say the same thing about the iMac as well huh?

It was not a year ahead of its time. I will admit it was a great value when it was released. However it is not using current parts and thus old. This isn't hard to understand. And adding "PERIOD" to your statement does not make you any more correct.

I give up. If you can't take the time to see what is available... wow.

11. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Please tell me folks. WHAT are you waiting for EXACTLY? What chipset? What CPU, WHat video card? Cause I tell you, the 45nm cpu has NOT been released yet and neither has the stoakly platform. Want a price break? Apple does NOT do that so forget about it. ;)

12. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I'd be happy if they just made a 500GB hard drive standard, 2GB RAM and a better stock video card. Really that's all they need to do to bring the Mac Pro back to the decent value proposition that it once was.

It makes no sense that the MacBook Pro comes with more RAM and a better video card than the Mac Pros.

Hopefully we don't have to wait until MacWorld 2008 for Apple to do something.

13. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I heard they are updating the Mac Pro as we speak.

14. olemed macrumors member

olemed

I feel for those of you who are waiting. I've been waiting too. I wanted the Mac Pro when it first came out but decided to wait a while because I did not need it just yet. Well, my 6 1/2 year old PowerMac just isn't cutting it for me so I caved it and bought the Mac Pro during last weekend's tax free weekend in Massachusetts. And with my educational discount, it was a nice deal after all. Added BT and wireless so it should be here next week. In any event, I'm happy and I'm sure I'll be very happy when it arrives. I really did need a new machine and I just could not wait any more. For those still waiting - I'm sure you won't be disappointed but I do feel your pain.

15. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

November 11. Harpertown, SS. What video card? I don't know. Whatever Apple puts in really. Something better than the crap they have now.

I don't know if you can't read or what. But we are all we aware that Xeon Penryns have not been released. Same with SS. You aren't telling us something we don't know. I and others are waiting.

I don't care about a price break. I haven't seen anyone ask. We would of course prefer a hardware update. But, it doesn't matter. No matter what I say you will still respond with the same garbage.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Still waiting for the best value...

How many of these waiting threads do we have now? Who's still ignoring macenforcer?

$700 gaming rig you tempt me so but I invested in Sims 2 for OS X. I love it to death so no MacBook or Mac mini for me. :D

A video card update would make us ecstatic.

17. Virgil-TB2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

reasons to wait

Since I foolishly started this thread, I will answer.

Personally I would have been more or less happy to buy the Pro at the current spec although I was waiting for a possible upgrade at the last event when the iMacs were released. My main thing here is that (for me) this is a gigantic purchase and I just don't want to be stuck looking like an idiot if they release a new model a week after I buy.

Problem is, now that they have released an iMac with better specs than the Pro, I just *can't* buy it. I couldn't live with myself. I would not be buying it because it's the best machine or the best deal, I would be buying it for all those "fan-boy" reasons that the Windows guys are always talking about. Besides which, my wife would probably raise her eyebrow subtly every time she walked past the thing. The shame would be crippling.

The main other thing (the thing I was originally waiting for), is for a new motherboard revision to address the memory bandwidth issue. As far as I recall Apple has never released the motherboards as upgrades, so if one was to buy one now, and they fix that with a new MB a month or two later, you are going to be stuck with a machine that is almost identical but performs significantly worse.

18. Amethyst macrumors 6502

I hope we will get new pro before 11 Nov may be 25 sept

from apple-intel history

Mac get Intel Core Duo before the other ~ 1 month
    Mac pro get 3 GHz Quad Xeon berfore other ~ 2-3 month
    and now Intel Core 2 Extreme 2.8 GHz in imac ~ 1 month

19. Virgil-TB2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Sorry.
    I looked around in the Hardware/MacPro forum and didn't see anything but the one about how everyone had *stopped* waiting, so I started this one.

As for the "macenforcer" guy, being as I am new here I have to assume that he has some awesome intelligence/knowledge that allows him to get away with being a bit crabby? No? (crosses fingers)

Remember not everyone with a bad attitude is useless, just those with a bad attitude and nothing else to offer. Thomas Alva Edison was a pugilistic jerk, and an IP thief. He also insisted on spitting gobs of brown goo on the floor of every house he was ever invited to (including the White House), after loudly commenting on how it was his "god given right" to do so. But he did get things done and was by all accounts reasonably entertaining to talk to.

Here's hoping that macenforcer has that "something else." He sure wouldn't survive on slashdot.

20. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

What these technology freaks don't understand is that something better comes out every 3 months! Especially with Apples move to Intel, it now has to play catch up with the PC market. With PowerPC processors, it didn't have to.

This suneohair guy is going to have major problems if a new Mac comes out after he buys his shiny 45nm Core'd Mac. Which will be only a few months after he buys it. He will come here and cry a river.

Wtf? How the worlds (current) fastest computer become "crap"? Seriously, I think you're a huge nerd.

21. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Your point? Does that mean Apple doesn't need to move forward with technology? I know Macs aren't updated as frequently as the tech, but a year?

When I buy my shiny 45nm eight-core mac Pro I will be using it. If a new one comes out. Oh well. I will not cry. I bought when I wanted to. Just like you buy when you want to. It honestly sounds like you are the one who has a problem with a new one coming out.

Worlds fastest computer? Your delusions run deeper than I originally thought. And thanks, I am in fact a nerd and I quite like myself. And your post is being reported.

22. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

you guys realize that even if you get a current Mac Pro, there's an update option right off the menu bar.

Attached Files:

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Post of the day quality.

I don't really see a reason to continue fighting over buying a current Mac Pro or waiting. If you need one then you have to get one.

Some of us just don't see it as the best value for us.

24. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

To each his own.

Since I ditched my Pentium4 XP machine and bought a Mac Pro, I've earned enough money to pay for the machine, on top of what I normally do. The new machine is so much faster and easier to work on, combined with my excitement to use it, has essentially netted me a FREE mac pro in the last month (since I wouldn't have earned nearly as much on the old pentium).

So, not only do I have a sweet machine, I'm ahead of where I would be if I had waited. So if they do release a Mac Pro 2.0 monster for Christmas, I can buy it and STILL be ahead financially than if I had stuck with the pentium 4.

If it don't make dollars, then it don't make cents.

25. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My iMac Core Duo paid back a significant amount of its purchase value ($600) in the time I saved using dual core Vs. my old G5. I'm not in that predicament right now since I have my work Mac mini to use if I'm tight on processing power.

I find it perfectly understandable in your situation. It's just that the Mac Pro isn't the best value for me in my situation. If a project comes up and I need the Mac Pro, I'll be joining you too. :D