Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
I recently got a rMBP and I have an old Dell lappy the I strictly use for playing with my car. Can I simply pull out the drive and pop it in an enclosure and boot from that on my Mac?

Just setting up the Dell with my car programming applications took over a week as it is a major PITA and I'm not keen on doing it again.

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
I recently got a rMBP and I have an old Dell lappy the I strictly use for playing with my car. Can I simply pull out the drive and pop it in an enclosure and boot from that on my Mac?

Just setting up the Dell with my car programming applications took over a week as it is a major PITA and I'm not keen on doing it again.

You cannot.

Main reason: Windows boots from internal drives only. Other reasons: Device drivers and licensing. Nothing wrong to keep the old Dell for playing with the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingdLo

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
You cannot.

Main reason: Windows boots from internal drives only. Other reasons: Device drivers and licensing. Nothing wrong to keep the old Dell for playing with the car.
Thank you.

Only problem with the Dell is the battery dies in an hour and sometimes it freezes up 5 minutes after a fresh boot. Once restarted its fine for hours.

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
Thank you.

Only problem with the Dell is the battery dies in an hour and sometimes it freezes up 5 minutes after a fresh boot. Once restarted its fine for hours.

Buy a cheap 12V DC -> 110/220V AC converter to provide power for the Dell. Worked for me ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.