As much as I love my Mac and OS X...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kendo, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I find that a good portion of my love is due to the design and appeal of Apple culture. Can it be agreed that 90% of Mac users utilize their Macs in the same way that 90% of Windows users utilize Windows? In the sense that 90% of us use our computers for the Internet, YouTube, movies, music, and games?

In that case, is there much of a difference between firing up a browser or iTunes through the Dock instead of the Start menu? Or hitting Ctrl-C to copy instead of Command-Q?

I see a lot of posts where the user dreads going back to a Windows PC, but is it really that justified? Just to be clear, I love both operating systems but prefer Macs because they are so beautifully designed. I just don't get all the posts about "OMG I have to use Windows for school or work" when most of the time, they are only utilizing them for certain programs or term papers at school and MS Excel at the office.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I use Win7 at work on a Dell laptop/external monitor
    And it is a much different user experience for me

3. Liquinn Suspended

Not sure. It's funny. Ever since I got my Mac, I have loved it. Even though it's only a base Mac Mini; I find it a pleasure to use and it just works and it saddens me when I have to not use it and go back to Windows for an hour or so. It just works, no problems or anything.

I find Windows machines to be a different experience as well, I just love how all of my Apple products go together and OSX looks amazing on my 3 year od 24" Samsung monitor, it's awesome. :)

4. TennisandMusic

Yeah this is absolutely true, which is why Windows machines trounce Macs in sales. They are cheaper, much more selection, far less restrictions etc...

For some of us, we greatly prefer working in OSX, or we want to use Xcode. Of course there are things the pure mac user misses out on as well, so it cuts both ways.

But you are correct, the notion that some put forth that Windows is "oh so bad" is pretty much pure rubbish.

5. simsaladimbamba

For me it is Spaces and Exposé and how it allows me to have multiple applications "scattered" in different Spaces and how I can switch to them. While ALT+TAB or CMD+TAB are viable ways to switch between applications, it can be hard with 10 to 20 or 30 applications open, thus Spaces + Exposé are very good methods for switching between them.

It is also how the GUI is designed, Windows is much to busy for my tastes, Mac OS X is much calmer in that regard and I find thinks easier, except in System Preferences, which is a very good administrative application, but I still have to look for the Sound or some other preference, even after almost eight years of using it. I guess I am just too accustomed to Control Panel from Windows 2000, but as of now, I just Alfred to open any application or preference pane, much quicker.

And while I agree, that probably most users of Mac OS X only use it to check the internet, I am one of them currently, there are still a lot of users, who actually work with them, I am currently one of them, and multi tasking is much better in Mac OS X, before Lion came around and iOSified the whole OS with its Mission Control, which is fine for most consumers, but using 12 Spaces within Mission Control is a pain in the arse, thus I stay with the last good Mac OS X version I can use.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The problem is that most people never have that experience. I use a Dell, customized to my liking, with Zune, a Windows Phone, and a 360. Everything "just works", in the same way that iTunes, my iPod, and OS X "just worked" when I used a MBP.

However, most people don't have that. They have a $400 PC that needs a RAM upgrade desperately, download all sorts of software that leads to Windows running like crap, and then blame the OS when really it's the user bewhind the keyboard. Or worse yet, they ARE tech savvy, and are forced into using a computer that's locked down tight by their IT department.

Either way, it's a bad Windows experience. Then you get a mac, because it "just works", and guess what - it does just that. Nevermind a $1000 PC with a 360 instead of an Apple TV, and a WP7 instead of an iPhone, would work as well.....

7. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Percentages are probably even higher than that but sure ... agreed.

Regardless of platform the vast majority of us use our home machines for simple stuff.

There is a small percentage of professionals using our machines as dual purpose entities ( development and/or business apps and/or professional photographers/videographers ) ... so obviously some of the details of which pro quality apps are used depends on the platform.

Wish Oracle would get a nice recent high quality supported database release out on mac os x instead of the now you see it now you don't ... but that's just the grumblings of a grumpy old dab!

8. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

why is this in the MBP section of the forums? has nothing to do with a macbook, only the OS.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

10. timotay89 macrumors regular

I prefer it because (at least from my experience) it's a low more difficult for someone to "mess up" a Mac then a PC. My family got a middle of the road PC a year or so ago, about a year after I got my MBP. It already runs a lot slower than my laptop does (and it does have better specs). I dread using it because of that. With the Mac, there's no pop-up permission things all the time, and I know when something will be installed, because I have to give permission. I've only used Mac stuff for less than 4 years, but I'd never go back because for me, PC just didn't work.

Even just installing a wireless printer was a pain on every PC in my house. The printer was two clicks and it was installed on mine. NONE of the PCs found it until I downloaded Boujour on them and then two clicks and good to go.

Plus, the massive amount of crap that comes on PCs because of the manufacture is happily missing from my laptop.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This is the other piece that is missing from most people's experience, and at least for me, one of the main reasons Apple "wins".

The default hardware configurations and software settings are (for the most part) good enough. This is generally not the case with Windows. I have a laundry list of things I do on a new Windows box to make me not curse at it.

For me, Mac OS X, is lower maintenance. My W7 and WHS boxes still require more effort than the Macs.

B

12. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

In 2008 i made the change to Apple with the introduction of the 13" unibody macbooks and I have been using OSX as my default OS ever since for personal use. For work I use Windows XP and 7 and would consider myself a intermediate user.

I think OSX is in many ways much simpler and better to use, however I must admit that I think finder is way behind the functionality of Windows 7 explorer.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm on a windows PC for my job, I also support windows servers and there are things in windows that I like that I wished OSX had, and there are things in OSX that I wished windows had.

To put it another way, both operating systems have their own strengths and weaknesses. For me, OSX strengths allow me to work the way I want too and the weaknesses of the OS does not interfere with my work

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The same here. Unfortunately, I had to do a similar thing on my Mac after upgrading to Lion. :D

15. yitwail macrumors newbie

On the other hand, you can launch Terminal, then "su root" and thoroughly mess things up. :D

This is an old thread but I was feeling affection for my MBPro. So to add to what's already been said, being able to run windows concurrently with OS X--I use Parallels desktop, which works pretty well if you have 8gb RAM--gives you the best of both worlds, and that's not possible in windows because Apple won't allow it. Getting a legal copy of windows is tough when you're on a budget--I'm currently running a windows 8 preview.

Another blessing of macs is the apparent immunity to viruses. Whereas windows machines need constant updates, not necessarily virus/security related I guess, but annoying when it'll install an update unless you ask to postpone it, and once it starts you cant shut off the machine till its finished.

Lastly, I'm a programmer/web developer, so I'm not in the 90% non-tech user group and I love that OS X has Linux under the hood. Even though OS X omits some features usually found in Linux, it's fairly easy to add them. Before I had a mac, I installed cygwin, a Linux emulator, in my windows laptop so I could at least have some of the command line features that are built in to OS X.

16. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Yeah, same.

I'm not going to bash windows but most issue with it is poor hardware. Oh and it wanting to restart of every little update can be massively annoying.

17. thenightwatch macrumors newbie

OS X is just a better looking chick!

You know, I think that it's something else. Ya'll might think I'm crazy but I've been using Macs since System 6, and ever since OS X came out with Display Postscript and it's vector based graphics vs whatever Windows used, OS X looks so much more high-def. I've always found the Windows GUI to be "boxy" and pixelated, and looked liked the GUI was designed by a coder, and not a graphic artist (I'm stretching the analogy to make a point). Windows GUI looks like it was designed in Word. OS X in Photoshop. Apple has been very strict about it's AHIG (Apple Human Interface Guidelines) and that's paid off). Too bad they don't always follow it themselves in their own apps. And that analogy goes all the way through the whole Apple eco-system. Some people like that, some don't, but I think people pick up on that. OS X is just a better looking chick!

Not to mention that as a former IT admin, OS X machines took on average about 10 percent of the time it took to troubleshoot and repair a Windows PC. And that was in an equally mixed environment with both OS X and Windows IT admins. Users feel that same frustration when an IT guy can fix a Mac box in 5 minutes vs a Windows box in 30. Things may have changed for the better in Windows 7 (I've been out of the business for a few years, but that was the case then).

Some days I was like the Maytag repair man. Macs just didn't crash. And when they did it was usually a small handful of the same things. One reason I left the IT world was because it was so boring.

Just my two cents. But I think the beautiful Display Postscript GUI and the Finder being consistent since 1984 helps too.

18. thenightwatch macrumors newbie

The Finder, in a way, IS the Mac experience

I agree. But old school Mac users, who were loyal to the company in the bad years (when Steve Jobs came back), would have revolted if they had abandoned the Finder. Seriously. I was at Apple and I remember the pressure at Apple to keep the Finder look. Yeah, it's antiquated but I think Apple is doing all it can to add new workflows (gestures, Spaces, magic track pad, Notifications, Launchpad, iOS features, the Side Bar, Spotlight, and other customizable Finder window features, the Dock, etc etc...)

The Finder, in a way, IS the Mac experience. Even though I think too, that it's out of date, it would be Pro User suicide for Apple if they scrapped the Finder. That's why I'm glad they didn't buy Be inc. and use the BeOS in 97'. It was a great multi-threading OS (I owned a Be Box), but the interface sucked IMO.

Once the iOS/OS X integration is complete (which it almost is), I hope they keep evolving the Finder. Things like hand gestures performed in the air in front of the monitor (easily done with interactive infrared beams like the Roland D Beam - some systems are already out there), improvements in Siri (if voice ever catches on), and continuous innovations and variations added to the Finder could help.

19. tastytraci macrumors newbie

I Love MY New Macbook Pro

I have only had my macbook pro for two weeks and I love it. I also have HP Touch as well as Toshiba gaming laptop. I must say that I truly love this machine and hate using my other devices because ,I have feel in love with the mac book keys and track pad. The rumors are true macs just works. I have been bragging to everyone that mac are well worth the money.I think this forum is great and I am glad that I found it.:)

20. SolarYoda macrumors newbie

I just very happily went back to PC after a year on a brand new MacBook pro with top-notch specs. I will never use Mac again, because my productivity declined massively due to Mac OS X's limited file management, window switching, and general file creation and sorting features (I don't game, do graphics design, or program). I think Win 8 and previous versions are real working OSs. While the Mac OS X may be more stable, I have never had a crash on my PC since the very early days of PCs (I used notebooks throughout high school). I think there is a huge difference between:
    - hardware (Mac beats PCs in general, but you can find really attractive PC notebooks such as VAIOs)
    - software (Windows beats OS X hands down; Office for Mac is a shadow of Office for Windows)

21. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Yeah, but for how much longer...? ;)

22. 2Turbo macrumors 6502

2Turbo

Good one! :D

----------

Can you be a little more specific? Window snapping can be down with Better Touch Tool. Limited file management? General file creation and sorting features? How so?

I agree Explorer is much better than Finder. I always wish they'd implement an advanced merge/copy confirmation like Windows has. Simple cut/paste.