As my PowerBook gets slower the hard drive gets louder

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WalnutSpice, Jan 11, 2016.

1. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

In the past week (mostly) and the previous two months I've been using my PowerBook daily, all it's really needed was a new PRAM battery. Now I notice the hard drive is running noticeably loud and starting to crunch. I'm still running the original 80GB and it seems 11 years is doing it in. When it gets to unbearable I plan on completely redoing my PowerBook as I've been putting it off.
    New hard drive, msata maybe but most likely a newer 7200 or 5200 drive with some more storage, new thermal paste (arctic silver 5 because I already have it) and a new pram battery. I'm just going to leave the RAM at 1GB as I never really need anymore out of this system.

2. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

As you know the decrease in speed and increase in noise are signs that the HD is on its way to the rubbish bin. So in the words of someone who knew better and hasn't always listened - backup your data.

3. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

If you have a Hitachi Travelstar chances are it'll still survive with some level of SMART status warning, Toshiba drives on the other hand won't trigger a SMART alert(Disk Utility or SMART Reporter) until it crashes :eek:

4. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

Thanks, mine is a Toshiba drive so thats nice to know
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2016 ---
    I don't keep anything to important on my PowerBook but I'll definitely make sure to back up a few things when I get home

5. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I have had bad luck with both Hitachi and Tosiba drives... I stay away from both of all possible

6. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

I would prefer to go with an mSata since it's both faster and more sturdy when it comes to bumps and jumps while sitting in the bag as your daily companion.
    Two external USB-drives will do a good job for both mirrored extra storage and partitions for TM and images. That's how I currently use my fellow iBookG4 - one external drive optionally in my bag and the other as a backup at home. Gives you also the chance to swap the computer while having all data and backup-images at your side.
    I'm also happy to use webDAV with the whole range of old and new devices.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Not exactly a scientific survey. From the tens of thousands of IBM/Lenovo laptops we support at work those with IBM/Hitachi Travelstar drives are at the least troublesome. Fujitsu are nearly as good, then Seagate. WD fail most often even though they're fitted to a minority of machines.