As of now I got to keep my unlimited data (Verizon)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vdubguy18, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Vdubguy18 macrumors member

So I picked up my new 6+ today from UPS will call at 8:30. Looked over the phone and everything looked good.

I decided I would use my old sim card just because and swapped the old one for the new one. I then powered up the new 6+ and went through the setup process to include the activation.

I then downloaded the MyVerizon app and checked my status. It still showed my line with unlimited data. So I then checked to see if it updated my device which it did show the new phone. So I then checked my upgrade date on my phone which showed it had been updated to reflect the 2 yr upgrade.

Logged in once I got home tonight and it still shows me having unlimited data.

Needless to say I am a happy camper! I ordered the phone from Apple and not Verizon directly so I am not sure if this had something to do with it or not.

I am waiting for my wife to get home so I can do her phone the same way and see what happens. Her phone was ordered directly from Verizon so I am interested to see if her line maintains the unlimited data or not. I will be sure to update this once she gets home to the findings.

2. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Apple site requests info from Verizon and you picked your plan when you pre-ordered your 6 ... during that you should have seen you still have unlimited.

Mine was the same thing ... I bought mine through Apple and it requested info from AT&T's upgrade site and then just showed me currently everything I have and my unlimited was still there so I was good to go.

If anyone has unlimited they will still get to keep unlimited regardless .... I will only not have it when they say its over and have no choice.

But this should be the same for everyone still on a grandfathered unlimited plan.

3. fjd726 macrumors regular

Just tried it on Apple site and it forces you to choose a different plan. Wouldnt allow me to keep unlimited with the 2 yr contract price.

4. Vdubguy18 thread starter macrumors member

Nope I had to choose a 2gb data plan when I ordered. It showed I lost my unlimited.

5. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Yes, you did the sim swap trick which means you will keep your unlimited data.

6. Vdubguy18 thread starter macrumors member

Did not know I could do such a thing. But extremely glad it worked this out.

I just figured that my SIM was still good and did not see a reason to switch it out since it was already active on my line.

7. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

This is known as the best buy method and works for many retailers.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6964624-upgrade-and-keep-your-unlimited-data-with-verizon?v=1

The reason it works is because these non-verizon companies do not have complete access to your Verizon account to immediately make a plan change, it's put on a pending order that is completed when the sim card that ships with your phone is activated in the phone. If you simply never use that sim card your plan never changes.

8. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Mine was the same when that option came up ... if you Do Not choose any of those plans and click next your current unlimited option will be available to choose.

TO ME I think this is a trick that they do and requested of Apple as well so you THINK you have no other option and when you choose a new plan its breaks your unlimited option agreement and your screwed.

I just refused to pick any of the other options and clicked continue and there was the unlimited option on the next screen.

But awesome to hear the Sim Swap will work for those for those guys who got duped by the system and are on the brink of losing their unlimited when they activate their new phone today.

I activated my new phone with the new sim and my account still shows unlimited on AT&T ... but of course I did not choose an different option when preordering mine though.

9. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

So anyone with an available Verizon upgrade can buy it as the subsidized price and just swap the SIM to keep unlimited data?

10. Vdubguy18 thread starter macrumors member

Wife just got home and I did her phone. Low and behold she got to keep her unlimited data as well. As I mentioned hers was ordered directly from Verizon.

11. fjd726 macrumors regular

strange, wouldnt let me continue unless I picked a plan. How did you do it?

12. gbuc95 macrumors member

Me either

13. zeeyo987 macrumors regular

Anyway to do this method at the apple store instead ? Thinking of returning one of my phones.

14. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

I just clicked continue .... I remember it popping up and not seeing the unlimited plan and saying to myself "hEaalll No"

I just clicked continue, next whatever it was then there was my unlimited option. (not sure if it was different being a AT&T inquiry I dunno)

15. cnotes2019 Suspended

Att allows you to keep UDP. Verizon doesn't in most cases but there are tricks to the trade

16. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

Some people have done this and have ended up with a flagged account.