Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Endorphine88

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
There's so many more issues that I would at least wait for a major firmware revision before you jump on this train. You'll get a good open box deal at this rate.

I have yet to encounter any "issues". I think it's unfair to hold Apple up to a standard that it never set for this product. This is SPEAKER above all - focus is on music. Yes, Alexa can do so much more, but if you care about all those other things then get an Echo. I think the HomePod is very reliable and my experience with it has been nothing but pleasant. That being said, I do live exclusively in the Apple ecosystem which doesn't play nice with any competitor and why should it?
I can't order pizza or an Uber or play jeopardy with my HomePod, but I also don't need all of that - I've decided I want something that sounds good and can do basic things like control my temperature and lights.
I also think, the HomePod is very competitively priced. I personally was expecting it to drop at $499 at launch and was surprised by the price - https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/14/homepod-component-costs/
I know that we're supposed to nit-pick with Apple products, but I think critiquing needs to be relevant and reasonable, not harsh just because it's Apple.
I'll get on board with not being able to make calls or use bluetooth to stream, but most reviews I've gone through so far look at this device from a very warped perspective in my opinion.

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
I have yet to encounter any "issues". I think it's unfair to hold Apple up to a standard that it never set for this product. This is SPEAKER above all - focus is on music. Yes, Alexa can do so much more, but if you care about all those other things then get an Echo. I think the HomePod is very reliable and my experience with it has been nothing but pleasant. That being said, I do live exclusively in the Apple ecosystem which doesn't play nice with any competitor and why should it?
I can't order pizza or an Uber or play jeopardy with my HomePod, but I also don't need all of that - I've decided I want something that sounds good and can do basic things like control my temperature and lights.
I also think, the HomePod is very competitively priced. I personally was expecting it to drop at $499 at launch and was surprised by the price - https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/14/homepod-component-costs/
I know that we're supposed to nit-pick with Apple products, but I think critiquing needs to be relevant and reasonable, not harsh just because it's Apple.
I'll get on board with not being able to make calls or use bluetooth to stream, but most reviews I've gone through so far look at this device from a very warped perspective in my opinion.

X2
I agree 100%

Absolutely zero issues here also.....very pleased with the Homepod and it's amazing fidelity.
I'm personally glad the HP uses WF for music...Bluetooth is just to plain buggy for me and fidelity is lacking.

Also, Mac OS has issues with Bluetooth music streaming stuttering, so it would suck to have to use that instead of Airplay.

Endorphine88

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
X2
I agree 100%

Absolutely zero issues here also.....very pleased with the Homepod and it's amazing fidelity.
I'm personally glad the HP uses WF for music...Bluetooth is just to plain buggy for me and fidelity is lacking.

Also, Mac OS has issues with Bluetooth music streaming stuttering, so it would suck to have to use that instead of Airplay.

OMG!!!! This is really dumb, but you just gave me an A-ha moment. Of course this makes sense now - I've noticed that no matter how improved Bluetooth is it will always cause loss of quality/fidelity when streaming music. I see it with headphones, I see it in my car - a wired headphone always sounds better and when I'm playing songs in my car a USB connection always wins over Bluetooth. This makes total sense now for the HomePod. Funny

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
OMG!!!! This is really dumb, but you just gave me an A-ha moment. Of course this makes sense now - I've noticed that no matter how improved Bluetooth is it will always cause loss of quality/fidelity when streaming music. I see it with headphones, I see it in my car - a wired headphone always sounds better and when I'm playing songs in my car a USB connection always wins over Bluetooth. This makes total sense now for the HomePod. Funny

Glad I could help..... :):):)

I have the whole Bluetooth setup on my BMW motorcycle with in helmet audio and controls.....while it works OK, the fidelity and bugginess of it makes it less than a stellar option.
Fidelity isn't crucial on a motorcycle cruising down the highway at 70MPH anyway. ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One of the oddities with Siri is that I tell it to stop [playing music] and it doesn't. The music keeps going, then 5 to 10 seconds later it stops

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003

Yes, but AirPods are Bluetooth, and they are totally solid and reliable in use. No loss of quality, no stuttering or pauses. I haven't had any issues at all, so it can work, and since Apple made it work for the AirPods, they must have been able to for the HomePod too. They opted not to for whatever reason.
[doublepost=1519142641][/doublepost]
One of the oddities with Siri is that I tell it to stop [playing music] and it doesn't. The music keeps going, then 5 to 10 seconds later it stops

In my case, it stops pretty much immediately, and then sometimes starts again later.

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
Yes, but AirPods are Bluetooth, and they are totally solid and reliable in use. No loss of quality, no stuttering or pauses. I haven't had any issues at all, so it can work, and since Apple made it work for the AirPods, they must have been able to for the HomePod too. They opted not to for whatever reason.

Wi-Fi streaming uses a lossless codec thanks to its wider bandwidth, meaning no degradation of audio quality. What your wireless device sends out is exactly what your receiver picks up.

In order to stream stereo audio, Bluetooth devices use data compression, which does affect sound quality. Bluetooth is getting better, but it's still a compromise with audio fidelity.

.....that's not even getting into the range issues with Bluetooth vs Wi-Fi with a decent router.
Most people use Airpods tied to their iPhone which is just a few feet away.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

Siri is buggy as heck trying to play one’s music, it is all over this forum stating that. A big big negative for the HP. You have not come across this issue? It is almost laughable when I ask to play something from my library and what Siri comes up with.

Reactions: Shanesan

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
Siri is buggy as heck trying to play one’s music, it is all over this forum stating that. A big big negative for the HP. You have not come across this issue? It is almost laughable when I ask to play something from my library and what Siri comes up with.

No issues noted here........using iTunes Music match. 8000 song iCloud music library.
Playlists also work just fine...

Endorphine88

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
I have had absolutely no issues with that - I ask for specific songs or playlists most of the time and Siri delivers in seconds. Even when I ask for a "mood" or style, she plays DJ very well. I'm sorry your experience has been the opposite

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I'm returning mine. Sound quality is the most important aspect to me, and the Homepod is just ok: it sounds only marginally better than my $200 Marshall Kilburn Bluetooth speaker. I haven't heard any kind of a soundstage from the HP no matter what room or location it's in: all instruments and vocals are easily localized in that cylinder. I didn't expect a soundstage until I read some reviews, but I don't hear it. I'm glad that others love theirs: if you love what you're hearing, I'm happy for you. I'm going to wait for the next generation.

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I'm returning mine. Sound quality is most important aspect to me, and the Homepod is just ok: it sounds only marginally better than my $200 Marshall Kilburn Bluetooth speaker. I haven't heard any kind of a soundstage from the HP no matter what room or location it's in: all instruments and vocals are easily localized in that cylinder. I didn't expect a soundstage until I read some reviews, but I don't hear it. I'm glad that others love theirs: if you love what you're hearing, I'm happy for you. I'm going to wait for the next generation.

I am always looking for alternatives, if the HP was as great at music sound quality as some folks make it out to be I would not have to. But that is not my experience, it more mimics your experience. It is not bad per se but for $349 it is not great.

Good reviews on amazon and Best Buy on the Marshall so I will look into it.

Reactions: Pipper99

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I am still thinking about it, but i will probably return it, still got three days to decide.

For me it just has too much bass which becomes very annoying after a while. Even songs that don't have much bass in them the HP seems to introduce it with a constant drone in the background.

I think the HP just isn't how i like a speaker to sound, i prefer more treble and less bass, but i can understand how people will like it and think its great if they like a lot of bass, i think it is more tuned for the younger listener. If it had an equaliser or some presets then it would appeal to all users.

So for me it is probably not worth keeping and there are plenty of alternatives out there, so i will probably try one of those, would have liked to stay in the Apple eco system though.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
still 50/50 at the moment

if i return it will get the echo and the dot most likely.

reason is not using the sound to it's advantage. I'm using it more for my lights/timers then anything else and rarely for music. I said I would use it more for podcasts but not used it much for that as of yet.

If i keep it then it would be more of being hopeful siri gets improved as it needs it..

Last edited:

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Never encountered that with my HP at all...mine does my commands with no delay and rarely mistakes my requests for something else.

Maybe yours need a reset.

And to answer the OP, I’m keeping mine and will be waiting to get another one, not to pair with the one I have but to keep sealed so one day, the humans in the future can marvel and reflect at this amazing tech we have right now...j/k...of course I’ll be pairing them! ;)

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
No issues here either. Works like a charm for everything I want it to do. Don't have any need for it to be a super smart speaker assistant. Looks awesome on my counter too. Blows all of the competitors away in the looks department.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I feel whatever shortcomings Siri has can be improved via a software update.

Uh-oh - Another comment plucked out of 2012! :D

Teasing of course, but in all seriousness, if anyone is counting on Siri to get better to make the HomePod a better purchase for them, you should return it now.

Tech products absolutely should only be evaluated based upon current features, not hopes about the future, especially if one of them is "Apple improving Siri".

If one likes it as is just for the sound, I'd say the user is good to go...waiting on Siri to get better?
We've been waiting for 1/2 a decade now..

sigomez

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Houston, TX
I am torn...love the sound quality but also miss some of the commands I could give Alexa.

For example -- Alexa will turn on my TV via my logitech control, hoping the HomePod will have this feature soon.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I am torn...love the sound quality but also miss some of the commands I could give Alexa.

For example -- Alexa will turn on my TV via my logitech control, hoping the HomePod will have this feature soon.

Return it (see my post directly above yours)

If it ever comes you could repurchase the HomePod then and revaluate the offering at that time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.