Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
Getting my second Homepod today.......

Zero regrets and it's more than I ever thought it would be.
The fidelity and bass response is absolutely amazing.....can't wait to try it with two of them, and looking forward to Apple release of stereo capability.

Everything has worked beautifully for me......Siri works for everything I would expect of it on a high fidelity speaker.
Airplay works great and Siri icloud music works terrific.....never skipping a beat.
Paid $24.99 for iTunes match and I'm wondering why I never did that previously it works so slick.

Guess I don't understand some of the expectations and disappointment, but each person needs to make their own decisions.

Reactions: andresandiego

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Don't get me wrong, but I'm heavily invested in Apple... I got every device it produced from the iPhone 3G to iPhone X and HomePod. I even got heavily invested in the stock itself.

So now you know where I'm coming from. Don't attack me for posting this. HomePod is the worst product I ever experienced coming from Apple. Of course I got it on the first day (2/9/2018) it was available. I was pleased with its sound quality for so many days going through hundred of my playlists on Apple Music.

Then Brandi Carlisle's new album came out and I was pleased listening to it, so much so that I asked for more of her work. What do you know! Siri started serving all kinds of songs from all kinds of artists. I got mad and said so to Siri and truth be told, she was diplomatic about my swearing. Anything I ask, she serves me garbage!

This is not the Apple I know. So this product is going back to Apple.
Oh wow, talk about supporting your stocks ;)! Never heard anyone heavily invested on Apple hate one of their current products that much.

The HP is not that bad IMHO...it is an awesome speaker and an adequate personal assistant. To me it is a speaker first and Siri second. That’s what I was expecting since it was introduced.

And yeah, I’ve only been invested in Apple since the very first iPod Shuffle.

Last edited:

Endorphine88

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Don't get me wrong, but I'm heavily invested in Apple... I got every device it produced from the iPhone 3G to iPhone X and HomePod. I even got heavily invested in the stock itself.

So now you know where I'm coming from. Don't attack me for posting this. HomePod is the worst product I ever experienced coming from Apple. Of course I got it on the first day (2/9/2018) it was available. I was pleased with its sound quality for so many days going through hundred of my playlists on Apple Music.

Then Brandi Carlisle's new album came out and I was pleased listening to it, so much so that I asked for more of her work. What do you know! Siri started serving all kinds of songs from all kinds of artists. I got mad and said so to Siri and truth be told, she was diplomatic about my swearing. Anything I ask, she serves me garbage!

This is not the Apple I know. So this product is going back to Apple.

Your point is very valid - HomePod's biggest weakness is how heavily reliant it is on Siri. From my own experience (which has been stellar so far) and from reading up on others' experiences, I think it's either a total hit or a total miss. I've read about a ton of people who just can't seem to win with Siri. She does have brain farts some times (last night I asked her to play something in my car and she arbitrarily chose something else. Repeating my command fixed the problem).
I think Apple needs to allocate some serious resources in Siri development if they want the HomePod;s approval rating to go up.

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
I think the first thing they should do is make it so you can have more than one users account associated to the homepod. Siri works good enough for now. Not being able to switch accounts seems like a missed opportunity. My wife should be able to access her apple music playlists when I am not home, etc.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Your point is very valid - HomePod's biggest weakness is how heavily reliant it is on Siri. From my own experience (which has been stellar so far) and from reading up on others' experiences, I think it's either a total hit or a total miss. I've read about a ton of people who just can't seem to win with Siri. She does have brain farts some times (last night I asked her to play something in my car and she arbitrarily chose something else. Repeating my command fixed the problem).
I think Apple needs to allocate some serious resources in Siri development if they want the HomePod;s approval rating to go up.

If you learn how to control HomePod through iTunes on your Mac and through control center on iOS, you technically never have to use Siri at all. It works really well.

andresandiego

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
San Diego, Ca
If you learn how to control HomePod through iTunes on your Mac and through control center on iOS, you technically never have to use Siri at all. It works really well.

I am sure most people did not buy it to only control it via their Mac or iPhone. You can do that with any Bluetooth speaker. It is supposed to be a "smart speaker" that can be controlled with your voice.

Endorphine88

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
I go back and forth. If I want more control of what's playing I will use my iPad or phone, but when Im getting ready for work in the morning, I don't wanna waste time pulling out a device, I just wanna give a command and listen to music instantly. I personally am not experiencing any issues with Siri on the HomePod, but it seems like there are quite a few

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Agreed and I just hope the rumours of Siri improvements coming in IOS 12 is correct.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have decided to keep my homepod as realise it does what required for my needs. I will use it mainly for reminders/podcasts/music and to control my lights. I will use it everyday for my lights alone.

I have faith we will see improvements with Siri going forward to improve even the basic of tasks. I know for some this isn't an amazing product but does what I need it to. Not like this is a product I would update every year. Hopefully this lasts a good number of years and improves over time with updates.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I have been sitting on the fence for a while but have definitely decided to return it tomorrow. I don't even like listening to it because of the overpowering bass.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Not a chance. It’s done everything I’ve asked of it. It’s done what I expected it to do from what I knew before buying it and the sound/WAF is pretty damn good.

I’ll probably buy another one when AirPlay 2 rolls around (and the wife’s forgotten how much money I’ve been spending :D)

There’s room for improvement of course, but that’s pretty much par for the course with new products from Apple. Get the basics out of the door to start with and improve the feature set with software updates over time.

But I really can’t complain just now and I love that I don’t have to scream at the top of my voice to be heard over music or the TV like I did with my Echo 2.

Diane B

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Western NC foothills

I have CarPlay and ifnd it quite different from Homepod Siri where there is NO lag at all, hears me even at almost a whisper and has only once not understood me.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
Prospective Homepod owner chiming in again: I understand that it interacts with Apple Music natively using Siri... HOWEVER, is there a way in which I can use Apple Music on my phone to select albums/playlists and have them play natively on the Pod or will that only be doable through Air Play? Side question: does sound quality suffer by using Airplay as opposed to natively using Apple Music on the Homepod?

Might seem like an odd distinction, but honestly Siri often has a hard time figuring out what I'm asking for music-wise or will play some weird live or alternate version of a song I'm asking for so I usually just give up on Siri and take the faster route of using the Apple Music app with my fingers... does it interact with the Homepod in that way or do I just need to get good at being very clear and explicit to Siri to get the actual music I'm looking for to play on the Homepod?

Diane B

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Western NC foothills
I go back and forth. If I want more control of what's playing I will use my iPad or phone, but when Im getting ready for work in the morning, I don't wanna waste time pulling out a device, I just wanna give a command and listen to music instantly. I personally am not experiencing any issues with Siri on the HomePod, but it seems like there are quite a few
I haven’t had any issues either—use it constantly. I’ve been more than pleased with Siri’s reponses (very fast for tasks and music), answering questions I didn’t realize I could get answers to, responding to volume percentages (works better for me)—and happy with sound quality across a number of genrés. I will likely buy a second for stereo.
[doublepost=1519328672][/doublepost]
Prospective Homepod owner chiming in again: I understand that it interacts with Apple Music natively using Siri... HOWEVER, is there a way in which I can use Apple Music on my phone to select albums/playlists and have them play natively on the Pod or will that only be doable through Air Play?

Might seem like an odd distinction, but honestly Siri often has a hard time figuring out what I'm asking for music-wise or will play some weird live or alternate version of a song I'm asking for so just select the music on my phone with my fingers is usually faster and easier... does it interact with the Homepod in that way or do I just need to get good at being very clear and explicit to Siri to get the actual music I'm looking for to play on the Homepod?

I use my phone a lot to select music (or podcasts) because I can’t remember name of playlist or want to try something new, browse in genré, etc. in control center on phone, just choose Airpod (in your list of Airplayable devices) and you’re good to go. Just now I asked for an artist I heard in carPlay radio but think I didn’t pronounce it quite correctly so am going to check what I think is close to spelling to find it-and then play and add to playlist. You can’t favorite over Airplay but you can add to a playlist by telling HP Siri.

Reactions: jigzaw

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Prospective Homepod owner chiming in again: I understand that it interacts with Apple Music natively using Siri... HOWEVER, is there a way in which I can use Apple Music on my phone to select albums/playlists and have them play natively on the Pod or will that only be doable through Air Play? Side question: does sound quality suffer by using Airplay as opposed to natively using Apple Music on the Homepod?

Might seem like an odd distinction, but honestly Siri often has a hard time figuring out what I'm asking for music-wise or will play some weird live or alternate version of a song I'm asking for so I usually just give up on Siri and take the faster route of using the Apple Music app with my fingers... does it interact with the Homepod in that way or do I just need to get good at being very clear and explicit to Siri to get the actual music I'm looking for to play on the Homepod?

You can most certainly use your iPhone (and in the next iOS release Apple Watch) as a rather good “remote” for the HomePod.

The quickest way I normally do it is to pull down Control Center and expand the audio widget. There you see a separate entry for the HomePod. Tap on it and it takes you into Apple Music using the iPhone as a remote.

Speaking to the HomePod gives you most of the control you have with the app. For instance you can say
‘I don’t like this’,
‘Don’t play this again’
‘What song is this’
‘Who sings this’
‘When was this released’
‘Play more like this’
‘Make a station from this’
‘Add xxxxx to Up Next’
and ‘I like this’ among many other vocal controls.

As for AirPlay quality, I believe it’s more compressed than direct streaming, but that should improve with AirPlay 2. Whether or not you hear it however is subjective.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
As for AirPlay quality, I believe it’s more compressed than direct streaming, but that should improve with AirPlay 2. Whether or not you hear it however is subjective.

Both Airplay and internet streaming I believe are lossless playback. The source, however, is a different matter. You can Airplay from lossless files if you have them, but you can only direct stream lossy music on the HomePod because Apple Music and iCloud music are lossy. But yes, whether one can hear the difference is another debate.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Both Airplay and internet streaming I believe are lossless playback. The source, however, is a different matter. You can Airplay from lossless files if you have them, but you can only direct stream lossy music on the HomePod because Apple Music and iCloud music are lossy. But yes, whether one can hear the difference is another debate.

True, I should have worded that differently. I was referring to the fact that currently anything you send via Airplay is (assuming higher source quality) downsampled to 16 Bit / 44.1kH. But still, lossless CD quality isn’t bad at all. Though if you’re using something like Spotify it’s still only a maximum of 320kbps, or was last time I checked which to be fair was a while ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: subjonas

iJC-1976

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Seattle WA
I'm keeping mine. For the last year and a half I had a poor man's HomePod setup using a couple docked iPods in different areas in my apartment. I used to control my HomeKit and HomeBridge devices and they worked okay, but Siri sometimes had trouble understanding my commands. I was able to replace them by placing my HomePod in a centralized location. Siri now hears and understands all of my commands without me having to shout. She even works when I'm in a different room and speak a command in a normal conversation volume.

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
You can most certainly use your iPhone (and in the next iOS release Apple Watch) as a rather good “remote” for the HomePod.

The quickest way I normally do it is to pull down Control Center and expand the audio widget. There you see a separate entry for the HomePod. Tap on it and it takes you into Apple Music using the iPhone as a remote.

Speaking to the HomePod gives you most of the control you have with the app. For instance you can say
‘I don’t like this’,
‘Don’t play this again’
‘What song is this’
‘Who sings this’
‘When was this released’
‘Play more like this’
‘Add xxxxx to Up Next’
and ‘I like this’ among many other vocal controls.

Using control center on my iPhone for the HP as a remote might just have saved it from being returned to Best Buy. The HP and I thank you.

Got any more tips? :)

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Using control center on my iPhone for the HP as a remote might just have saved it from being returned to Best Buy. The HP and I thank you.

Got any more tips? :)

Probably nothing you don’t already know, but just in case here’s a quick rundown of some of what I consider to be the most useful things.

You can tweak how HomePod works to some degree by opening the Home App and Force Touching the icon for HomePod then selecting Details from the bottom right of the screen.

In here you can for instance, turn off the HomePod display or add an audible beep so you know that you’ve invoked ‘Hey Siri’ properly and it’s listening.

You can also restrict who gets to use AirPlay by choosing from Everyone, Anyone on the same network or Only people sharing this Home.

If you have kids and don’t want their delicate little lobes unexpectedly bombarded by your classic NWA collection, you can turn off explicit content.

You can also turn off the listening history in here, so that your personal recommendations aren’t affected by said kids repeatedly playing whatever that damn song from Frozen is.

Open up Control Center on your iOS device and expand the audio widget. There you'll see a separate entry for the HomePod. Tap on it and it takes you into Apple Music, using the iPhone as a remote.

Returning to some “Hey Siri” commands, in addition to the examples I listed above, You can do things like setting the volume level exactly by saying ‘Set volume to xx %’ instead of just invoking the up and down volume commands.

You can get songs you barely remember by saying, for example, ‘Play that famous song from The X Files’

As well as being able to play songs by mood or genre individually, you can also mix and match these up. So instead of saying ‘Play some Chill music’ you can say ‘Play some Bedtime Chill music’ or ‘Play Upbeat Party music’ and so on.

Add a song to a playlist by saying, yeah you guessed, ‘Add this song to my xxxxxxx playlist’

Send a text/iMessage by saying ‘Hey Siri text xxxxxx’ (You can also use WhatsApp among others).

We know HomePod, annoyingly, can only do one timer. But as a workaround for now just use reminders by saying ‘Remind me in xx minutes to do xxxxx’

Another alternative to the one timer situation is to use Alarms instead of Reminders, as you can have multiple Alarms on the HomePod too. Which makes the timers situation all the more bizarre.
Anyway, you can either say;
‘Set an alarm for xx minutes time’ or
‘Set an Alarm called xxxxx for xx minutes time’ or of course
‘Set an Alarm called xxxxx for xx:xx hours’
and it works much the same way.
To further enable/disable/delete/add/edit Alarms on the HomePod manually, go to the Home app and force touch/long press the HomePod icon and select Alarms from the bottom left of the screen.

If you play a song and it’s not by the artist you were expecting, just say ‘Play a different version’ to hear it from an alternative artist.

If you’re listening to things like the News and getting bored, speed things up by saying ‘Play Faster’ Likewise you can say ‘Play Slower’ to take things down a notch.

If you want your iPhone/iPad to be the device which responds to your requests, as HomePod will almost always be the default option if it can hear you, you either need to raise to wake your device, or hold the button to activate Siri on your device first.

Other commands for "Hey Siri" when you're listening to music include:
‘I don’t like this’,
‘Don’t play this again’
‘What song is this’
‘Who sings this’
‘When was this released’
‘Play more like this’
‘Add xxxxx to Up Next’
‘I like this’

And there’s always the trusty ‘What can I say’ command which will prompt Siri to tell you some things you can do, you can do this more than once for different answers.

Those are just the basics. Otherwise Siri works just like any other iOS device. You can ask it almost anything, get it to control your smart devices and everything else you’ve come to expect. With just a few limitations related to Calendars, having no screen to display information and so on.

*Edit:

Just so I've put all my inane waffling on this into one place, I've integrated my earlier HomePod use tips into this list.
Only because I'm going to direct my wife to it for a read so she can bloody well speak to the thing herself. Instead of asking me to ask it, I kid you not :rolleyes:

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The HomePod in control center is great as for podcasts it’s good to know how long is left on there...

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Ok hopefully there will be some updates at wwdc for HomePod mainly calendars and the ability to make and answer calls. However at this point Alexa and google home despite being more advanced don’t fit in with the devices I have.

I’ve looked at some reviews and I’ve decided to get the HomePod. Got the message to say it’s ready to pick up in store so will get it later on today. I’m moving next week so it will be a nice home moving gift to myself.
[doublepost=1519371337][/doublepost]
Probably nothing you don’t already know, but just in case here’s a quick rundown of some of what I consider to be the most useful things.

You can tweak how HomePod works to some degree by opening the Home App and force touching the icon for HomePod then selecting Details.

In here you can for instance, turn off the HomePod display or add an audible beep so you know that you’ve invoked ‘Hey Siri’ properly and it’s listening.

You can also restrict who gets to use AirPlay by choosing from Everyone, Anyone on the same network or Only people sharing this Home.

If you have kids and don’t want their delicate little lobes unexpectedly bombarded by your classic NWA collection, you can turn off explicit content.

You can also turn off the listening history in here, so that your personal recommendations aren’t affected by said kids repeatedly playing whatever that damn song from Frozen is.

Returning to some “Hey Siri” commands, in addition to the examples I listed above, you can do things like setting the volume level exactly by saying ‘Set volume to xx %’ instead of just invoking the up and down volume commands.

You can get songs you barely remember by saying, for example, ‘Play that famous song from The X Files’

As well as being able to play songs by mood or genre individually, you can also mix and match these up. So instead of saying ‘Play some Chill music’ you can say ‘Play some Bedtime Chill music’ or ‘Play Upbeat Party music’ and so on.

Add a song to a playlist by saying, yeah you guessed, ‘Add this song to my xxxxxxx playlist’

Send a text/iMessage by saying ‘Hey Siri text xxxxxx’ (You can also use WhatsApp among others).

We know HomePod, annoyingly, can only do one timer. But as a workaround for now just use reminders by saying ‘Remind me in xx minutes to do xxxxx’

If you play a song and it’s not by the artist you were expecting, just say ‘Play a different version’ to hear it from an alternative artist.

If you’re listening to things like the News and getting bored, speed things up by saying ‘Play Faster’ Likewise you can say ‘Play Slower’ to take things down a notch.

If you want your iPhone/iPad to be the device which responds to your requests, as HomePod will almost always be the default option if it can hear you, you either need to raise to wake your device, or hold the button to activate Siri on your device first.

And there’s always the trusty ‘What can I say’ command which will prompt Siri to tell you some things you can do, you can do this more than once for different answers.
Thanks for these tips. Didn’t know it worked with what’s app.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Ok hopefully there will be some updates at wwdc for HomePod mainly calendars and the ability to make and answer calls. However at this point Alexa and google home despite being more advanced don’t fit in with the devices I have.

I’ve looked at some reviews and I’ve decided to get the HomePod. Got the message to say it’s ready to pick up in store so will get it later on today. I’m moving next week so it will be a nice home moving gift to myself.
[doublepost=1519371337][/doublepost]
Thanks for these tips. Didn’t know it worked with what’s app.
Yeah you can ask Siri if you have any WhatsApp messages which is good

Enjoy hope you like it.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Utterly stupid question regarding the 14 day return window, please don’t shoot me!

I bought mine on Friday 16th Feb. Can I return it on Friday 2nd March? I said it was a stupid question, ha! Just to want to be crystal clear that it’s okay returning it exactly 2 weeks to the day, that Friday 2nd March is “within” the window. It’s the most convenient day for me to physically return it to an Apple store.

I’m glad lots of people like their HomePods, part of me wants to keep it but there’s a few issues that I have for my usage that mars the experience.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Utterly stupid question regarding the 14 day return window, please don’t shoot me!

I bought mine on Friday 16th Feb. Can I return it on Friday 2nd March? I said it was a stupid question, ha! Just to want to be crystal clear that it’s okay returning it exactly 2 weeks to the day, that Friday 2nd March is “within” the window. It’s the most convenient day for me to physically return it to an Apple store.

I’m glad lots of people like their HomePods, part of me wants to keep it but there’s a few issues that I have for my usage that mars the experience.

Yeah should be fine, it is a full 14 day inclusive window, so the 2nd would be your last day for returning it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.