ASAP advice needed! Between two 12" Powerbooks.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Adokimus, Mar 23, 2008.

?

Which 12" PowerBook should I buy??

  1. PowerBook 1 (see below)

    1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. PowerBook 2 (see below)

    26 vote(s)
    96.3%
  1. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

    Adokimus

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #1
    Ok, I need advice ASAP. I need to make a decision by tomorrow between which of two 12" powerbooks to buy.

    They are both the last ever model, with exactly the same specs: 1.5 GHz processor, 80 GB HDD, 512MB RAM. They are both in comparable physical condition.

    POWERBOOK 1:

    Battery doesn't last that long anymore, but it was replaced with the recall.
    Comes with Leopard and includes the disc.
    Price: $650

    POWERBOOK 2:

    Has a new battery.
    Has a new HDD.
    Has a new logic board.
    (Basically, everything is new, but that also means that it all had been busted)
    No Leopard, so I have to buy that on my own.
    Price: $510 + $120 for Leopard = $630

    PLEASE ADD COMMENTS to help me. Thank you so much!
     
  2. iToaster macrumors 68000

    iToaster

    Joined:
    May 3, 2007
    Location:
    In front of my MacBook Pro
    #2
    PowerBook 2... it's been fixed so all should be in working order. What condition are they in? If PB1 is cosmetically fine and so is PB2, then all is good, but if one is all dinged up and scratched, but the other isn't, get that one.
     
  3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #3
    I voted PB2, but keep in mind that for $200 more, you could have a c2d Macbook that would last you several years past the PB's lifespan.
     
  4. j26 macrumors 65832

    j26

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2005
    Location:
    Paddyland
    #4
    I voted No 2.

    Do you need Leopard immediately, or could you survive with the OS that's already on the Powerbook (Panther or Tiger)? Tiger is still damned good.
     
  5. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Adokimus

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #5
    well, here was my first post regarding just the logic board issue:

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=448828

    The only people who responded at the time seemed to voice a lot of concern over a replaced logic board. Should I not be concerned that it will likely be faulty again?

    Thanks!!
     
  6. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2004
    Location:
    South Jersey
    #6
    Out of those 2, I'd go for #2.. But, as heatmiser said, you're right on that edge of whether or not it's worth it to do this or just go for the macbook..

    I say #2 because that gives you the option of not using Leopard.. I would not put Leopard on it and save the money.. Now, if I had a family pack of Leopard with an extra license to spare lying around I'd put it on it- but I wouldn't spend any money to get it on there.. I like Leopard, but not enough to spend the money on that particular computer when Tiger would be just fine- probably better when you consider you're going to be running it on 512MB Ram.. If you HAVE to have Leopard, well, I'd just get the MacBook at that point..

    The 12" PB's are still my favorite computer that Apple has ever made, and I'm actually planning on purchasing one hopefully soon- but I'd probably pass on both of those because from the sounds of it you might need Leopard, and that will make the cost go to the point that it's hard to justify not just going with the macbook- even option #1 will require a Ram increase to really run smooth..

    Good luck and keep us posted about what you decide.. They are killer little machines, and my goal is to get one with Panther.. It will suit my very specific needs perfectly and I'll get to keep my favorite machine and my favorite OS alive for nostalgic purposes..LOL.. Nerdy, I know- wife teases me about how I used to be a big biker dude, and now I want to collect a certain lap top..lol..
     
  7. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Adokimus

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #7
    So, no one is concerned that the logic board will be more likely to fail again with option 2? Am I just too worried?

    Thanks!
     
  8. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2004
    Location:
    South Jersey
    #8
    well, I had a G3 iBook that had the dreaded logic board problem.. That failed repeatedly.. But that was a known design flaw that caused that, so I think that was a little different..

    I also had a G5 iMac that had a logic board die 1 month after I took it home.. That was 3 years ago and it hasn't had a hiccup since, nor have I ever worried about it even once.. I think that was an isolated incident.. A part went bad (happens) and they replaced it..

    I think the 12' PB falls into the category of my iMac- isolated incident of a particular part going bad (it happens)- when the faulty part is replaced everything should be fine.. I wouldn't sweat it to much if it was me..
     
  9. AMessy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2005
    Location:
    Green Bay, WI
    #9
    I say go with number 2 because after you buy it, you wont' need to stick anymore money into it (i.e. new battery). Also you can hold off on the OS 10.5, and see if you think you actually need it.

    Plus with $510 invested, if it goes to heck you can recoup a large part of the cost buy selling it for parts.
     
  10. Mo Tiggas macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 5, 2005
    Location:
    Oregon, USA
    #10
    I'll be the only one, and say go with number ONE. Its proven to work well and will continue to work well. Why did the other one have so much that needed to be done to it. Kind of like a car that just never was... right.
     
  11. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Adokimus

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #11
    You voiced my concerns completely... but, as you said, you're the only one who seems to feel that way. I need to decide by the end of today, so we'll see what happens.

    Any more last minute weigh-ins?
     
  12. zioxide macrumors 603

    zioxide

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    #12
    Option 3: the first version of Core 2 Duo Macbook.. you can probably find one used for $750.

    Those Powerbooks are using technology that's from 2001. That's insanely old and outdated. PPC is dead. Get the late 2006 Macbook (it uses modern tech!) and it will last you much longer.

    Wasting $650 on a machine that uses 7 year old technology (the G4 is from 2001) is just that, wasting.
     
  13. Mo Tiggas macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 5, 2005
    Location:
    Oregon, USA
    #13
    Option three is a good one too, but you seem set on the PB and the others just aren't the same. Its a great computer that will do just what you want from it and hopefully have no problems. You're on here looking for that last push to go ahead and get it, but you've got all you need. If the person says their PB is running well (option one), go with it.
     
  14. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

    Wild-Bill

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    bleep
    #14
    Uh, no.

    They broke the mold when they built the 12" Powerbook. I love mine, and 99.999999% of 12" Powerbooks love theirs as well.

    Sure, a Macbook is faster, more powerful, and more recent.

    ....but it ain't a 12" Powerbook. ;)
     
  15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
  16. Deadaim357 macrumors member

    Deadaim357

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    Location:
    Boston,MA
    #16
    I'd go with Option 2 but, skip the leopard if you can.
     
  17. jakealdred macrumors member

    jakealdred

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2008
    Location:
    Manchester england
  18. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

    themoonisdown09

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2007
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
  19. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

    Westsider 4 Mac

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    Location:
    On the West Side
    #19
    ditto

    ditto
     
  20. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Adokimus

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #20
    What would be the reason to wait on Leopard? Just in case the PB breaks on me so I don't waste the money?

    Also, I've seen some people sell Leopard on craigslist for a lower price than retail. One person said they tried to load it on their old machine, but it didn't work, so they uninstalled it and are selling it... is it legal to purchase something like this? If yes, will it work, or can the serial number only be registered that first time?

    Thanks for all the help so far, I'm getting pretty excited about finalizing a deal!
     
  21. Kwill macrumors 68000

    Kwill

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2003
    #21
    The 12" PB is over three years old. By this time, expect repairs. I would go for the one that already had them done. Nearly everything is on the motherboard. If it has been replaced, it is unlikely to go bad again.

    Option 3: Get your 12" PB at GainSaver and pay extra for the extended warranty. You'll have peace of mind. That's what I did when I was in your shoes.
     

Share This Page