ASAP max ram for a 2007 macbook pro 17inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akira2501, Aug 27, 2010.

1. akira2501 macrumors regular

Currently I have 4 gigs in here. I want to know if it is possible/advisable to upgrade to 6 gb. If so what is the performance boost that I'll see. First hand experience is greatly appreciated. It is a 2.4 santa rosa 17inch mbp 800mhz with a 667 ram bus.

Thank you so much

2. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

you could probably use this or this to find you answer. is your computer running super slow? what kind of apps do you use? these are pretty standard questions.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, it is possible to upgrade to 6GB of RAM. I have 6GB of RAM in my early 2008 MacBook Pro. If you are seeing a lot of page outs then it would be worth it. (You can find out in Activity Monitor. A lot would be the page outs being 25% or more of the page ins. e.g. if you have 400 page ins you want to have 100 page out or less) Personally, it was worth it for me, as I see fewer page outs and faster performance because of that. Although you might also look into getting a SSD, because that will make more of a difference.

4. akira2501 thread starter macrumors regular

thnx

thnx for all the help. I bought it a while back and its awesome when virtualizing and running apert @ the same time. No lags or slow downs @ all.

thnx