ASAP! Samsung 470 SSD question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fugue, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Fugue macrumors 6502

I was just offered to purchase an OEM version of the Samsung 470 256GB SSD for $295. This means that it will come with no warranty, but from everywhere from the web, this drive is extremely reliable. At $1.15 per GB, this is an amazing deal.

Should I go for it, knowing that I will not have a warranty, but I will have a reliable drive?

Also, is there a firmware update for Macs? If so, how is it done for the OEM version (read: not the aluminum drive, it's plastic but with the same components inside).

Need answers ASAP. Thanks

2. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I've bought OEM mechanical drives in the past, never thought twice about it, never had a problem. I'd jump on it.

Can't answer your second question, sorry. Don't think there would be though.

3. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Be Careful

Doesn't sound right. With SSD's you need a warranty nowadays, although Samsung is pretty good. I have a 470 and it has been fine. From Samsung site, no firmware update for OSX

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

SSDs are quite unreliable atm (yes, even Samsung 470 although it appears to be one of the best) so I think it is a bit risky to buy one with no warranty at all. The price is great but that is about it.

Your call but I wouldn't, $300 is still $300.

5. Minhthien macrumors 6502

From where? Who is the seller?

6. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

It's your call, but think about this: If the SSD craps out on you in a month or two, you've lost $300. While the deal is good, I don't think SSDs are there yet, in terms of reliability.

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Yeaaaaaaaah, I wouldn't buy an SSD without a warranty.

8. Photios macrumors member

Photios

I totally agree. I have had 3 SSD's go bad on me. Two GSkill and one Crucial. I'm currently using the Samsung 470 256gb drive, and no problems so far after about three months. However, after my experience, I would not purchase one without a warranty.