Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peejer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
TN
I replaced my HD from my MBP (2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo). I can't get this drive (WD 320gb asata 2.5") to work in an external HD enclosure.

My latest HD is a WD scorpio which I took out of a My Passport external HD. It works great in my MBP, however the one I removed had some issues and it was under warranty. WD was great and replaced this twice without any issues. They even upgraded me to a 320 GB 2.5" ASATA. However I can't get this one to work at all. I have tried it in two separate external HD enclosures. I have used several different cables. I even even tried it on two different computers both a PC and Mac. I have also tried to use a Y usb plug to plug into two separate USB Ports at the same time to try to increase power. The drive doesn't work.

I would like to use this drive in a USB 2.0 external HD case to use a video scratch disk. Is this possible without an additional power source? Any thoughts why I can't get this to work?

Thanks,
peejer

peejer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
TN
Good question and sorry I didn't make this more clear.

The LED light on the external case will light up, but the drive will not show up on either computer. I took the top of the case to determine if I could hear the drive spin and I could not.

Is there any chance that the drive isn't getting enough power?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I don't think it's getting any power at all. My external drive will try to spin up but fail when it's connected with only one cable of the Y-connector to the USB 1.1 ports on my iBook G3. It works fine when both cables, but not with one. However, I do get some activity.

Have you checked the power cable connecting drive and enclosure?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.