Ascendo Datavault not compatible w/OSX Lion?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Huliodude, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Huliodude macrumors member

I'm not sure if any of you use Ascendo Datavault on your iPhone or not. Mine was working fine until I upgraded my Mac to Lion.

The first time I tried to do a wifi sync, all the data became corrupt. After downgrading back to Snow Leopard (don't ask), I was able to recover the datavault data from an auto-backup.

However, that one sync I did somehow corrupted something on the iPhone, since I can't boot up Datavault for iphone anymore.

When I click on the app, it asks for a password as usual. No matter what password I enter, correct or incorrect, the app just exits. Since I can't get into the software, I have no way of syncing it to the Mac and fixing the data on there, or even using the software for that matter.

I deleted the app, re-booted the iPhone, and redownloaded the app from the app store. Makes no difference, I still can't get into it.

I'm assuming when you delete the app, some data files are not being erased, contrary to what you think should happen. When I re-install the app, it uses the old corrupt datafiles, and prevents boot up? This is all just guess work on my part.

Does anyone know how to clear all data associated with the datavault software on the iPhone? I'm trying to work with the software tech support guys but so far they've not been too helpful.

2. Huliodude thread starter macrumors member

Ok figured it out with the help of the tech guys. Simply did a restore of the iPhone from iTunes.

Then I went into the app, entered the wrong password 10 times, which wiped all data.

Then I synced again with the desktop, and loaded the data back on. All works fine now. I just thought I'd post this in case anyone else destroys their data by using this software with Lion.

3. TDutch macrumors newbie

Same issue

Had the same problem. I purchased the app two days ago, then purchased the desktop version for Mac today. I successfully synced my iPad with the desktop version via Mobile Me. I had the same problem where it messed up the URL associated with a number of entries, and in some cases the username. The password was intact however.

It then bricked the app on the ipad, and then my iphone. I tried entering a bogus password 10 times, but it will not reset itself. Having to restore both devices from backup is not something I am looking forward to :-(

Fair to say: Do not sync Datavault for mac (on OSX LION) until they have fixed compatibility issues. Too bad there was nothing on the FAQ or I would not have even tried syncing.

4. TDutch, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

TDutch macrumors newbie

Fixed

The latest version of DataVault for MAC fixed the issue. The version offered by the Apple Appstore wasn't quite up to speed just yet. DataVault provided a link to a new version, and this fixed the problem perfectly after restoring both my iPad and iPhone from backup via iTunes.

[here's the solution from Ascendo]

Please try to install most recent 4.4.20 version for Lion OSX using link below and let us know if it helped
    http://www.ascendo-inc.com/ota/beta/mac/AscendoDataVaultV4_4_20.zip

5. Granddad macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue, since I upgraded to Lion DataVault is bricked on my iPad and iPhone.
    Unlike you, I can't get support to respond to any of the four emails I've sent them on this subject. I also find it strange that there is only email contact available for them, I've tried to find a phone number so I can call them but have had no success in that either.
    I tried the suggestions, d'led the version from Ascendo, restored my iPhone from a backup and tried the wrong password at least ten times and no help.
    I'm really disappointed as it seems Ascendo is spending the majority of their budget on marketing rather than on supporting what they sell.
    Dave

6. marcbolh macrumors member

marcbolh

A version of DataVault that is compatible with Mac OS X Lion is now available from the Mac App Store in addition to our web site at the link below.
    http://www.ascendo-inc.com/datavault/macos/FAQ.html

If you have any problems, please email support AT ascendo-inc DOT com or send me a private message.

Best,
    Marc
    Ascendo

7. Granddad macrumors newbie

Marc,
    I appreciate your response and trying to resolve the problem.
    I'm going to speak for myself here, I think you're missing the point. I have previously downloaded and installed the updated version from the link you provided and it works great on my MacBook. The problem is on my iPhone and iPad, after updating to Lion, when I tried to sync my Mac to the phone and the iPad it bricked the app on the phone and iPad. Now, there seems to be no method that works to remove, disable or upgrade the phone or the iPad so the app will work on them.
    So, to reiterate, the problem is not the Apple OS or the product it's running on, it's the iPhone and the iPad versions that are a problem.
    Dave :)

8. marcbolh macrumors member

marcbolh

Hi Dave,

We just updated our FAQ page with instructions that should fix the issue of starting DataVault for iOS after syncing with DataVault for Mac v4.4.14 running on Mac OS X Lion, see link below.
    http://www.ascendo-inc.com/datavault/iphone/FAQ.html#lion

If you still are having problems, please send me a private message (PM) and I will work with you and our support team to resolve the issue.

Best,
    Marc Bolh
    CEO Ascendo

9. adrianrob macrumors newbie

Hi Marc,

Today i tried to sync an ipad with a Mac. Since the wireless synchronization did not work I tried to sync by means of MobileMe. This time i got the message “parsing data. Please wait” in both equipments. 'til here everything was ok. Although I saw the ok message when I searched for the synced files I noticed there was nothing. I also searched the files in the ipad but there was nothing!

So my question is, where do I find the files that I synchronized?

Kind Regards,

10. marcbolh macrumors member

marcbolh

Hi Adrian,

Please send me a private message or an email to wallet_support@ascendo-inc.com with "MacRumors" in the subject and we'll sort it out.

Thanks,
    Marc
    Ascendo