Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Pathetic comments about the film being crap due to Ashton Kutcher in 3...2...1...

(for the record, when he needs to play a serious role, he does it pretty damn well)
If this was a Paul Thomas Anderson film, I would look forward to him bringing a great performance from a subpar actor like he has done in the past.

Looking at the credits though, it appears to be mediocrity from pre-production to post. This just looks like a money grab and an attempt to get a biographical film out before the authorized version and while the Jobs hype is still somewhat fresh after his death. The fact that "jOBS" got approval as the title should be another indicator of it's overall quality. If Steve thought "iSteve" was a crappy book title, I can only imagine his reaction to this nonsensical stylization.

I imagine many of the members here will sing it's praises when it's released. After a year or two to digest it though, and after the authorized film is released, people will likely see it as being insanely average in hindsight, if not the s-word that Jobs liked to use.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Looking forward to this movie, it should be a good one. Ashton Kutcher looks like he's perfect for the role, no doubts it'll be as accurate to Jobs as possible.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I believe I will see this movie. I know little of Steve Jobs. Should be informative.

I trust you're kidding and making your statement in jest. No movie or documentary has ever come close to reality. Like every company, movie studios are in business to make money, so spin everything they can to get you to pay for viewing.

Last edited:

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I'll give it a watch, probably via rental though. But why end in 2000? Before the iPod, iPhone and iPad?

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I believe I will see this movie. I know little of Steve Jobs. Should be informative.

Hmm, I wouldn't watch this movie solely with the aim of being informed about Jobs' life. There's a great documentary on YouTube which is pretty much his whole life in detail. So you may want to take a look at that. Being a movie, it's going to have to have some sort of story arc. Although based on true events, such as The Social Network, some parts will inevitably have been changed for entertainment value.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Yeah, Ender's Game... I'm due to re-re-re-read it before being disappointed by the movie!

I've read it annually for the past ten years or so. As a heads up, everyone is roughly 8 years older at the start of the movie compared to the book, though they end at about the same age. I feel like a lot is going to be lost on account of that alone - I think the movie should have been done as pure CGI, just because the ages seemed so important and getting enough talented actors at those ages is completely impossible.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I don't know why people are hating on Ash. He is a goofy guy but he is good at drama as well.

And he looks like a young Steve jobs vey much.

stepshows

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
Can't Wait

Any project that highlights Steve's accomplishments is worth a look in my opinion. No one has made a movie of my life yet but if they do, I hope people discuss the film's content more than the title.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Ashton kutcher is banging mila kunis. Sounds like there's a lot of jealous men in this thread lol.

Kutcher is a wacko just like most Hollywood celebrities. Remember his creepy pledge with Demi Moore in 2009 to be a "servant" (his word) to our new President Barack Obama?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51kAw4OTlA0

Represent your country with pride, dignity, and honesty? What about the hot tub tryst in San Diego, Ashton???

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Will they have a scene where Ashton Kutcher plays old man Jobs of a few years ago where he pops up in a board room of some company and loudly proclaims "Yo, you have been Sue'd". He could even wear a janky trucker hat with an apple logo and have a black and white monologue with the camera where he acts all CUHRAZEEY since he just "Sue'd" some company and payback is a bitch.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Is this film going to have nudity? I remember reading an unauthorized biography of Jobs back in the 1980s, and crushing a bit on the cover photo of him.

It needs to be more than just bare feet. Feet don't do it for me.

buxtone17

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2009
Pathetic comments about the film being crap due to Ashton Kutcher in 3...2...1...

(for the record, when he needs to play a serious role, he does it pretty damn well)

Ashton Kutcher has never acted in a movie that was certified "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes. He's been in 24 movies and none of them have scored higher than 49%, with 11 of them receiving a score of 25% or lower.

Oh, and he's in that sitcom now. Two and a Half Men. I've never watched it, but I've heard it's terrible. Here's a sampling of titles from recent episodes: "Give Santa a Tail-Hole", "One Nut Johnson", "I Scream When I Pee", "Ferrets, Attack!" and "Oh Look! Al-Qaeda!"

Also, what "serious roles" has Kutcher done "pretty damn well"?

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Any casting news for the other Steve Jobs movie? Still hoping for Noah Wyle to be cast as Jobs again.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I typically avoid Park City during the Sundance Film Festival. It's too crowded with people looking for the famous people or famous people who think they are too important. Maybe I'll run up this year and catch the screening of this film.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.