Asian Hair!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by walangij, Jul 17, 2007.

1. walangij macrumors 6502

Ok, so is it true that asian hair is just "Get up and go" hair? I believe so! I love the hairstylists here in Asia! They cut so well I cannot believe. Do any Asians back in America have trouble getting their hair cut right or finding a stylist that cuts asian hair exclusively at less than $30 a cut? I cannot find a place within 30 minutes drive in Michigan that will cut my hair correctly for a reasonable price :(. What are your experiences with asian hair?

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yup right here, I had a thread about a month ago. I've been putting off getting mine cut in fear that they'll butcher it. Especially since I'm a male and have long hair.

3. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Ehhh, from what I see, a lot of the hair here in Shanghai requires a loooooot of preparation and maintenance.

And I'm Chinese. My hair is extremely stiff. It's not get-up-and-go. It's very stubborn and needs to be tamed after I get up before I can really do anything.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I just wanted a trim. Not a styled cut. A trim. Like, straight off the bottom of my hair. I called SuperCuts who are known for being cheap and simple. Um. They quoted me $40. No shampoo, no nothing. And? They said since I said I had thicker and longer hair, they'd charge extra. :rolleyes: I found some hole-in-the-wall place that uses Aveda products that would charge me $40 period and include shampoo in that.

And my hair is NOT "get-up-n-go" hair. At all. If it's really short, I have to spend 30 minutes before it can be presentable. If it's long and I wanna leave it down for the day? I can blow-dry it for a good 15 minutes and it'll still be dripping wet. It's too thick and heavy that a high pony-tail ends up at the nape of my neck within half an hour. And I break elastic hair-ties like no other.

Plus, it's really not all that smooth or soft. :( Poo. And I've never had black hair. I wish I had that jet black hair or super light hair, but I'm stuck with boring dark brown hair. Ugh.

I recalled "I hate gettin' my hair cut" as well as "The Elders Hate the Long Hair." You're just a touch interested in this subject. ;)

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Devilot - I will trade you sight unseen, and I will throw in my chest-hair forrest, my back-hair forrest, and my hairy legs. :)

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My hair sticks up when it's short. If you like that sort of thing, it's awesome. If you want something different, you are out of luck.

I do have soft hair, and when it's a bit longer (I shave it now), it is straight and does stay down. Unfortunately, that's all it does unless I put a bit of wax or gel in it, and I hate wax and gel.

It's so much easier to shave it off.....so I did. ;) I also shave my own head, so I save money, too. The fact that my skull doesn't have a horrible shape means I look better (but older) with my head shaved, according to most of my female friends. :)

7. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I just saw the movie Babel last night and was impressed with the Asian haircuts (male and female). I realize just a movie, but the originality and present-ability of the hair-dos was nice. I imagine they use a lot of product though. And get a lot of makeup artisty-work done on it. It would be cool to have easy to manage cool hair.

I don't.

I'm not asian either. :eek:

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Ah, the back-hair forest.

I never realized this "Asian" hair was such a problem, my hair is wavy and thick, but I've been fortunate to find a good barbershop.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Gee, that's so kind of you. Heh. But the last time I checked, most hetero guys aren't interested in women w/ "chest/back-hair forrests" and hairy legs. :p

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I don't know most guys are gorillas already, maybe you'd have a shot. ;)

11. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea, not all asian hair is "get-up-n-go". When I had short hair it was a produciton to get it the way I wanted. Long hair I just put some water on it and comb it out, Usually does the trick.

Just a touch ;) There aren't many that I can talk about it with. :rolleyes:

12. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    ::: Pops head up :: Could someone open a window, its getting a little steamy in here. Whew! Thanks.

~ CB :D

13. angelneo macrumors 68000

I don't have "get up and go" hair as well, but I never use a comb, just some hair wax and 2 min in front of the mirror and I am good to go. I lived half way across the globe away from you guys, and most asians I see don't have those "get up and go" hair too.

14. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

according to molecular biology, there are basically 3 types of hair: asian, african, and everyone else. i havent had a good haircut for less than 35, and i generally try and see the competency of the hairstylists before i hop in the chair

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Actually, I think that's true for Chinese, but not for many Japanese guys. Some of them definitely have "get up and go" hair. Not sure about Philippino, Malaysian, etc.

16. angelneo macrumors 68000

Actually, I used to think caucasian hair are more "get up and go", maybe the grass is always greener on the other side? I really envy those people with that hairstyle, less hassle the better. :D, I'm that lazy.

17. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't think you can group an entire ethnicity that way. i know a lot of korean people who have a variety of hair types: curly, straight, thin, etc. my hair is get up and go only because it's so short. it would definitely need some work if it were longer.

18. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea, I always thought that too. not all caucasians but like the ones with thin wavy hair. But everyone probably has their gripes with their hair.

19. -::ubermann::- macrumors regular

I'm native american and i can see my hair is very similar to the asian, in fact many times people thought i was chinese :D
    I had a lot of trouble getting a good haircut, the one that i like the most is for free...i cut my hair by my self

20. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I'm 50% Filipino and 50% Japanese and while I have my mom's hair(Japanese) I wouldn't go so far as to say that I can "get up and go" because of the cowlicks I have in the back. I generally wear a hat anyways so I'm always good to go.

21. ambience macrumors member

When my hair is longer (which it usually is because of laziness of getting it cut) it is an absolute mess until I take a shower. I dry my hair with a towel afterwards and run my fingers through it to straighten it out, after that its good to go. When my hair is short its usually good to go. I rarely comb my hair as it makes it poofy, especially when its long. I'm white (British + German ancestry) BTW.

22. walangij thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I was pretty presumptuous to assume most have "get up and go", at least in comparison to my friends it is much less maintenance (when it is short, long asian hair is a different story). I don't know about girls though, sounds like it is way different.

I've been spoiled by the hair salons here in Bangkok, for $10 I get shampoo, cut, shampoo again, dried, styled. Thai hair is pretty much no maintenance if cut correctly, except for gel.

23. Vuzie macrumors regular

Vuzie

man when my hair was pixie short, yeah totally get up and go, esp. if there was product in it... it would look wicked. I had some kick ass chicken head as it got longer though. Now that's it's at my shoulders... get up and go again... so easy...

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think its all in how the hair is trained, I have short hair and it didn't always go flat. Im not asian tho but I don't think it matters. It depends on the hair cut, Different people have different styles of hair no matter what their ethnicity is.

25. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i want hair like the guy on the left (noel fielding aka vince noir from the mighty boosh)
    [​IMG]