Asian Pop Quality

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iris_failsafe, Jul 16, 2007.

1. iris_failsafe macrumors 6502

iris_failsafe

So it turns out that I have a Taiwanese Girlfriend (I come originally from Latin America). Since we started dating she always shows me a lot of Asian pop singers that she likes, but I always thought that they can't sing, have zero stage presence and do weird things like closing their eyes for the entire song.

I'm I being culturally biassed because their style is different or they truly suck?

What's your take on this?

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've got a good few jpop albums on my iPod, and I tell you this for free, half the time they can't sing (Nanase especially). It's very piercing. Some songs sound incredibly good, some don't.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

When did pop music become all about the voice and quality? :p

I have a Jay Chou album. :eek:

5. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

Dreadful, awful, lousy, crappy, dismal, sappy, maudlin, derivative, mind-destroying, extremely profitable.
    Oh, and cheesey....and bad, really bad. But, the chix are hawt!

6. iris_failsafe thread starter macrumors 6502

iris_failsafe

We all know Britney can't sing but in Asia they truly believe this people can.. that is the difference... and in her prime she was a good on stage (I used to found her sexy when she danced) but for example Shakira can sing, or Mariah, Whitney Houston (before)

You would think like for example Chinese uses 4 different tones, people will develop better vocan ranger but they don't

7. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

If it's anything like here in America, pop music is more about the image. I'm assuming it's just as bad over there since they love that kind of stuff, I mean, they think our stuff is god-like. Ridiculous, just ridiculous.

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

just because you think it's crap doesn't make it bad. it also doesn't mean you have to tolerate something you don't like. if it isn't your thing, then it isn't your thing. to answer your question, though, yes. yes, you are being "culturally biased."

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Just to comment on what I said earlier: The weird thing about having a Jay Chou CD is that I don't even understand Mandarin! I guess it's not that different to owning a Camille album despite not knowing French...

That doesn't really make any sense.

10. angelneo macrumors 68000

My personal opinion is that Asian music scene lacks diversity. I find it rather boring after sometime. Everyone seems to be singing the same old thing, wearing out the same old shirt. If at any rare moment, someone experiments with something new and it turns out successful, you can be sure that many will try to follow or copy.

11. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I think the tonal nature of the language actually makes it harder to create a musicality similar to western music. The tonality limits the melodies that can be created, makes them harder to sing in a given emotional tone, and definitely inhibits the types of vocal expressiveness that singers like Mariah, Whitney, Shakira and David Bisbal are known for.

When you have one syllable tone between the lyric "Taste my spicy horse meat, it's very pyretic" and insulting your mother, you're gonna play it safe. :D

12. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

TheAnswer is right. The Asian languages and English are as about as different as it gets! I actually like a lot of Asian singers, however. (They're mostly from Japan, though.)

• Ayumi Hamasaki
    • Kumi Koda
    • misono
    • Namie Amuro
    • Perfume
    • Puffy
    • Utada Hikaru
    • BoA

13. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

One of my favorite singers is Ayumi Hamasaki.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know anything about Asian music, but I do know that "BoA" (is that honestly how she spells it?) is Korean. I went to a Japanese restaurant with some friends, and one of them told me. She can sing in Japanese, though. Also, just because someone has a Japanese sounding name, doesn't mean they're Japanese. Many people just give themselves Japanese names. I know that from personal experience.

Weirdness.
    Not that he's not a copycat himself, but if that's true, then why did the Japanese album that Timbaland produced end up so unsuccessful in Japan? Don't know the name of the Japanese girl, herself.

15. angelneo macrumors 68000

Sorry, I naturally assumed the poster was talking about the Taiwan, China, Hong Kong market. I consider Japan to be another whole new world on it's own.

16. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

though BoA is certainly korean, her music is more j-pop than it is k-pop. she launched her career in the japanese market, and she owes her fame to her japanese songs. she had a few korean hits, many of them re-recordings of her japanese songs, but she is definitely j-pop.

17. kristiano macrumors regular

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

When comparing music, I think it is also good to consider the timeframe.

19. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Non-existant.

20. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

asian pop quality
    accurate horoscope
    authentic reproduction
    creation science
    definite maybe
    living dead
    mandatory elective