Aside from iOS 5, does anyone's homebutton on their iPhone 4 not responnd sometimes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by helloimD4NNY, Jun 7, 2011.

1. helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

Mine is on and off. It wont work, literally 100 clicks later it'll start working. I went to the Apple store yesterday but my phone decided to be a troll and not replicate it. -______-"

Has this happened to anyone else?

2. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

Strange mine just started doing this. It's really odd. Most of the time it works fine.

3. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I haven't had the issue to the extent you have, but it is widely known that the home button gets "worn out" over time. Often when I double click to open multi-tasking it will register as a single click or a hold. I got my iPhone 4 on day 1 last year and the home button started to get weird within 3 months.

4. psub57 macrumors newbie

Same here - i have a launch iphone 4, no problems with home button until iOS 5 version 5. Not sure if its the button wearing out, or a software glitch. anyone know for sure whether its a software issue?

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Mine's definitely worn out. Most times won't respond to double-clicks, single clicks, click-clicks...

6. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

Just a quick question.. I've been seeing alot of these posts lately, Are any of you guys using 4.3.5.. Maybe it's a software issue..

James

7. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

I just had my launch day iPhone 4 replaced for free out of warranty for this problem. Now with my new phone I forgot how responsive the home button was supposed to be.

take your phones in now and get them replaced if you can!

8. tygrubb macrumors regular

For some it may be a software issue, but it seems for most that it's hardware. I'm on my third iPhone 4 replacement.....all for home buttons gone bad.

My current device's home button is going out (responsive only a small percentage of the time), but now it's out of warranty, so no more free replacements for me. Just going to make do until iPhone 5 comes out.

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Mine started acting up, and then I (accidentally) dropped it. Now it works again!

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

11. JustLeft macrumors 6502

Mine has issues sporadically, haven't found any pattern.

12. Donoghan macrumors regular

Donoghan

Yep, had mine replaced under warranty for a faulty home button back in November.

13. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Small crack in screen on the bottom edge on mine. They probably wouldn't replace it.

14. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It has absolutely nothing to do with software. It's most likely a case of a cheap button. It's not normal for a button to fail so quickly. In the case of iPhone 4 it's a routine problem. Apple's replaced three iPhone 4's of mine thus far. Granted I use it a lot, but I also use the buttons in my car a lot too. Granted it's a BMW, but the iPhone is also supposed to be a premium product.

No iPhone I've had before this model had this problem. Therefore it's pretty indicative that Apple got cheap with these. As long as I keep getting replacements for free, I'm going to stay with it till iPhone 6 is released. No matter what the iPhone 5 is comprised of, I'm not interested. There'll be too many advantages built into iPhone 6 to waste money on it's predecessor.

15. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

This has happened to me twice, - like yourself, my iPhone didn't want to replicate my problem, but the Genius Staff Member took the benefit of the doubt and replaced it there and then.

But, with the replacement, this happened to my phone once more, (about 3 weeks ago) again, it was replaced. - Let's see how long this one lasts :\

16. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Really weird! Im in the exact same boat. iPhone 4, day 1, and have never had a problem with home button. 2 months ago it started acting weird. Strange thing is that just when I think it's getting worse, it starts functioning normally. Like right now it's pretty much fine. I originally thought the contacts were wearing out, but now I'm thinking it's a sofware issue. Especially after reading the above posts the symptoms are pretty much identical.

17. iFiend macrumors 65816

It is a well known problem.

And I must have got an awesome genius when I took mine in. The days leading up to my appointment I was worried that my phone wouldn't cooperate and replicate the problem. I told him my issue, he didn't even check out my phone, and said "let's get you a replacement". The serial number ended up not being a 5K either! It was literally the least painful Apple visit ever and I got a new phone.

For those that are getting turned away - I'd try again. I really think a lot of it has to do with who you get.

18. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I had a launch day iPhone 4 and the home button started slowly missing some of my presses. It got to the point where I would sometimes have to press it 4-5 times to get it to exit an app. And double pressing for the multitask tray was like a game because it would hardly work. The Apple store replaced it within seconds and I now have a new iPhone 4 that works perfectly :D

19. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was talking to a apple employee the other day when my friend was looking at a new iMac. As we were talking the "warranty" subject came up and we started talking about what apple care included. Long story short, the guy told us that the genius bar can pretty much replace anything. Phones dropped in toilet, smashed screens, etc. He literally said "it all depends on who u get and what mood they are in. And for people that come in screaming and yelling, or with a bad attitude, they can forget it. But if u come in nicely, explain ur situation about how the phone dropped out ur office window and into a lake, they most certainly have the option to replace ur device." pretty good to know. So don't give up if one guy tells u "no". Keep going back until u hit the one genius that actually feels some sympathy that day.

20. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

This may sound weird. But trust me... Clear out your multitasking tray...
    My girlfriend had this problem. Went to apple store. They cleared out her tray. Problem solved...

21. 808? macrumors 6502a

Very common problem, just do a soft reset and you should have your home button back to normal.

22. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

It's a known issue with the iPhone 4. If you can replicate it in-store the genius will likely replace it for you. Otherwise you might be SOL until it just stops working altogether.

23. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Wrong. Symptom worked around, problem still exists... :rolleyes: