Aside from the App Store, what does 2.0 give the iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Karvel, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Karvel macrumors regular

Does the 2.0 Update give much for iPod touch users in the way of features etc. than computability with the forthcoming App Store?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Probably compatibility with the new MobileMe stuff but that is just speculation on my part.

3. HSquared macrumors newbie

HSquared

I thought it was obvious. The iPod Touch gets everything that the iPhone will in terms of software will, minus of course, GPS. So you get ALL the corporate support, Exchange, MobileMe, blah, blah, blah...

4. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

An awesome calculator!!! Thats what I am looking forward to.

5. amusiccale macrumors 6502

I hope it will have the full erasing option for the paranoid among us.

6. jasonmac21 macrumors member

Seriously, do people really use email and maps for their touch? I have them (jailbroken) and rarely if ever use either feature. I do have a smartphone with a data plan though so maybe that's why. But 9 times out of 10 whenever I have access to a wifi connection, I also have access to my laptop or another PC (save for school where I use the wifi quite a bit to browse the web when a computer is to obvious).

Like I've been saying all along, the only thing that 2.0 gives most touch users is the ability to buy programs.

7. atomheartmother macrumors regular

You're forgetting one big thing: the ability to connect to corporate wifi networks. With the 2.0 update, I, and most others on university campuses, will finally be able to connect to the campus wifi network. Hopefully. That's pretty huge.

8. Xavier macrumors 68020

9. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

Well I use mail everyday, I download via wifi at home before I leave so I can skim through my mail on the trains, type up replies and when I get to work send.

Maps I seldom use, though if I am going somewhere new, I download the map before I leave my house.

I hope 2.0 has some sort of summerboard and customization like jailbreaking else I'll keep my jailbroken touch.

Has anyone ever wished there was an external wifi button to press to turn on the internet? I use my wifi quite a lot (itunes,mail,chat,web browsing) and I hate having to always go to settings. I am used to my last PDA (HP ipaq) having wifi one button away.

10. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

If you jailbreak, you can install WifiToggle. One-touch simplicity. ;)

11. machacker macrumors regular

does anyone know if we will be able to copy and paste? That would be helpful. I actually had no idea the 2.0 was for the iPod touch as well, so I am trying to gather information about it as fast as I can. I will be upgrading when it comes...:D

12. illidian macrumors 6502

I don't think full MS Office support has been mentioned yet in this thread. That's a big one for some folks.

13. linden macrumors regular

linden

What does that do?

14. Xavier macrumors 68020

What is 802.1X

My campus wireless uses it. I am able to connect my computer, but not my touch. It is supposed to be added to 2.0 and I will be very disappointed if its not.

15. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

that is a good one. I haven't tried my touch with the school network yet. I hope getting 2.0 will nip any problems I may have in the bud.