Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Karvel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
England
Does the 2.0 Update give much for iPod touch users in the way of features etc. than computability with the forthcoming App Store?

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Probably compatibility with the new MobileMe stuff but that is just speculation on my part.

HSquared

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
I thought it was obvious. The iPod Touch gets everything that the iPhone will in terms of software will, minus of course, GPS. So you get ALL the corporate support, Exchange, MobileMe, blah, blah, blah...

jasonmac21

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Seriously, do people really use email and maps for their touch? I have them (jailbroken) and rarely if ever use either feature. I do have a smartphone with a data plan though so maybe that's why. But 9 times out of 10 whenever I have access to a wifi connection, I also have access to my laptop or another PC (save for school where I use the wifi quite a bit to browse the web when a computer is to obvious).

Like I've been saying all along, the only thing that 2.0 gives most touch users is the ability to buy programs.

atomheartmother

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Seriously, do people really use email and maps for their touch? I have them (jailbroken) and rarely if ever use either feature. I do have a smartphone with a data plan though so maybe that's why. But 9 times out of 10 whenever I have access to a wifi connection, I also have access to my laptop or another PC (save for school where I use the wifi quite a bit to browse the web when a computer is to obvious).

Like I've been saying all along, the only thing that 2.0 gives most touch users is the ability to buy programs.

You're forgetting one big thing: the ability to connect to corporate wifi networks. With the 2.0 update, I, and most others on university campuses, will finally be able to connect to the campus wifi network. Hopefully. That's pretty huge.

laserfox

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
new york

Well I use mail everyday, I download via wifi at home before I leave so I can skim through my mail on the trains, type up replies and when I get to work send.

Maps I seldom use, though if I am going somewhere new, I download the map before I leave my house.

I hope 2.0 has some sort of summerboard and customization like jailbreaking else I'll keep my jailbroken touch.

Has anyone ever wished there was an external wifi button to press to turn on the internet? I use my wifi quite a lot (itunes,mail,chat,web browsing) and I hate having to always go to settings. I am used to my last PDA (HP ipaq) having wifi one button away.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Has anyone ever wished there was an external wifi button to press to turn on the internet? I use my wifi quite a lot (itunes,mail,chat,web browsing) and I hate having to always go to settings. I am used to my last PDA (HP ipaq) having wifi one button away.
If you jailbreak, you can install WifiToggle. One-touch simplicity. ;)

machacker

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
does anyone know if we will be able to copy and paste? That would be helpful. I actually had no idea the 2.0 was for the iPod touch as well, so I am trying to gather information about it as fast as I can. I will be upgrading when it comes...:D

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
What is 802.1X

My campus wireless uses it. I am able to connect my computer, but not my touch. It is supposed to be added to 2.0 and I will be very disappointed if its not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.