(ask) 2nd gen unibody mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macandra, Feb 3, 2009.

  1. macandra macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2009
    #1
    Hi guys,


    I fell in love with the unibody mbp.
    But since I'm on a budget, I find it too pricey.
    I'd have to think 1000x before spending $2K, even on something I love.
    So I was thinking, perhaps I should wait until summer 2009? (from the article: Paul Schiller on Apple's Yearly Product Timelines http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=631322)
    By then, the current 2.4 unibody would be like $1350 (just like the current price of 2.4 penryn), and (hopefully) I could save up some more money.

    Perhaps all you macgurus can enlighten me,
    1. does anyone have any clue when the 2nd generation (or revision) of 15" mbp unibody would be released? make a rough prediction, humor me..=)
    2. Is it ALWAYS true that if a new generation of 15" mbp came out, the price of old ones would be cut down to $1350 (low end) and $1500 (high end)?

    note:
    I love the cosmetics of the new mbp, I just love the simplicity of that beast.
    I don't really care about higher processor speed, 2.4 is more than enough for me.
    And no, I won't go for the macbooks. Their screen is nothing compared to mbps, IMO. and I need the 9600m GT.
     
  2. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2009
    #2
    Simply put, if you need it now, buy it now... it'll be out of date in 6 months time anyway
     
  3. macandra thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2009
    #3
    I need the current unibody to be 'out of date' since I can't afford one right now.
    That's why I'm asking, would the price be much lower (around $1350) when the new one comes up? And when?
     
  4. carfac macrumors 65816

    carfac

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2006
    #4
    Sounds more like you "WANT" one.... but you can "AFFORD" a MB. Refurbs are no where near the MB price, even used. Either get more real, or save for a while longer if you really "NEED" one.
     
  5. macandra thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2009
    #5
    nicely put :D
    so, back to the question guys,
    considering this is a 'rumor' forum, wouldn't hurt anybody if someone gives an educated guess when it'd be released..
    anyone? :)
     
  6. goMac macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #6
    I would think anywhere between March and June for a new one.

    I won't be buying a rev a simply because I find rev a Apple products are unreliable (although I'm sure people will disagree with me.) I wouldn't even buy a rev a after the price drops after all the problems I've heard about the rev a unibodies.

    6 gigs RAM max is also a big deal for me. If I'm going to be keeping this machine for 4 years I want to be able to take it to 8 gigs.
     
  7. macandra thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2009
    #7
    hmmm, I can wait until June..
    so, will the price drop be as significant as the early 2008 model?
     
  8. svndmvn Guest

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Italy
    #8
    you have already looked here,right? You can barely have a refurbished 2.4 Macbook for $1300, so my guess would be you're best choice is a used one or waiting longer.
    Since they get updated every 8 months or so, June sounds good for an update. Just wait, you'll either have more money or there will be cheaper Macs, but not that cheap anyway, sorry.
     

Share This Page