Ask a Friend to Buy a 3G iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by objectuser, Jul 15, 2008.

1. objectuser macrumors newbie

Hi, everyone,

I searched for this but didn't find an answer.

I would like to get a 3G iPhone, but I'm currently not upgrade eligible. I have a friend, however, that is upgrade eligible and doesn't care about getting a new iPhone. He is willing to get the phone for me and extend his contract.

However, I don't want him to end up having to have a data plan, etc, long term, since he doesn't use his phone for anything but calls and text messaging.

What is the best way to take advantage of my friend's offer but not cost him any extra money?

Thanks!

2. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

So, your friend is going to walk in and buy a 3G iPhone for you and put the phone and plan on his credit card? :eek:

3. harodude macrumors regular

Hey there,

In response to object user...

You should have no issues getting your friend to buy you and iPhone.

1. Give him the money to buy phone
    2. Have him buy phone and sign contract
    3. Have him call 611 and tell them to take off the data plan, and add his current phones IMEI back onto his line
    4. Have him take out the sim chip in the iPhone, and put it into his old phone, because his old sim will be deactivated.
    5. You call 611 and make sure that you have some type of data plan for iPhone, if it be the $30 regular package, or $45 enterprise.
    6. Give your friend a hug or pat on the bat for letting you use HIS UPGRADE!

Does that all make sense?

4. objectuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, perfect! Thanks very much. I was worried that he wouldn't be able to get the data plan removed. And I assumed he'd just use his old sim in the new phone, so that's good info.

So my current sim will work fine in the 3G iPhone? Or will I need a new sim?

And I'll give him a bottle of 12 year old scotch for his trouble! :)

5. objectuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes! He's a great guy for sure!

6. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Once you sign the iPhone contract plan, you can't take the data plan off it.

The plan is iPhone specific. The only other plans are MediaNet which are not for the iPhone, and can't be used.

7. objectuser thread starter macrumors newbie

So the contract includes agreeing to have a data plan for the term of the contract? I mean, if you break your iPhone, do you still have to use the iPhone data plan for the rest of your two-year term?

If my friend has to keep a data plan that's a deal breaker: no way I'd ask him to do that.

8. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

That's exactly what you're (or your friend) is agreeing to. AT&T agrees to subsidize the iPhone and in return, you agree to pay for a specific plan for 2 years. Since smartphones aren't insurable (same with all smartphones with all carriers), you are basically out. What a lot of people are doing to cover accidental damage is adding it as an electronic device on their homeowners insurance.

If you buy a car, and you crash it, does that mean you don't have to pay as much? It's a contract just like everything else.

If he signs up for an iPhone 2 year plan, he has to pay for that plan for 2 years.

9. harodude macrumors regular

Have you actually called and tried yourself to take off the data plan..?

I have 4 iPhone 3G's and ALL of them have had the data plans removed..

It really frustrates me to see people so confused and misinformed about the data packages/contract stipulations.

10. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

wow if this is true then thats crazy, I didnt think you could remove the plan once you signed that contract, because then in essence AT&T is losing money on your 4 iphones. the whole point of subsidizing is to make the money back with the more expensive data plan for 2 years.

I'm not calling you a liar or anything but you might want to call and make sure that those plans were removed and you aren't paying for it or anything, maybe you spoke to an AT&T rep who was misinformed.

Then again anything is possible i guess, maybe it's an oversight and you got away with it or maybe its a huge loophole that many people will expose until AT&T catches on.

11. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

You done what AT&T call "Buyers remorse". You have 30 days from purchase to cancel. When you remove the data plan, you are basically cancelling your iPhone plan. By doing that, you have to return the iPhone, or be charged full price for the phone.

12. AMcBroom81 macrumors regular

AMcBroom81

Yeah, if he does this for you give him a big pat on his bat :eek:

LOL J/K :D

13. 0eyvind macrumors member

Why? I mean... why? :confused:

14. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Call me crazy, but I think an at&t rep would have a better idea of this being possible than some guys (and gals) on an iphone forum... Have you even tried?

Just be honest. You aren't really trying to cheat at&t out of anything. you are using a valid upgrade so there might be some way of transfering the iphone to your account. They might have to do some tricky manouvering but there is probably a way they can help you to achieve what you desire.

and if they yell at you then you can try whatever trickery and advice that is given to you by random, (mostly) uninformed strangers on an apple forum.

15. jess127 macrumors member

Would this work if you wanted to use the iphone in another provider?

16. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Harodude is correct. By the way, your data plan has no bearing on your subsidy.

The subsidy comes out of the calling plan only. Data is for data and profit.

17. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

You get the subsidized pricing on an upgrade, because you're signing a 2 year contract with AT&T. Just because you sign a contract doesn't mean you cannot add/remove services (such as the iPhone data plan) to your plan during the 2 years.

18. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

The iPhone plan requires data, there is no option to remove it.