iPad ask about stolen iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by akauts, Oct 31, 2013.

1. akauts macrumors newbie

dear all,
    I need advice, my iPad was stolen at 12.30pm, 12.50pm i open found my iPad application on my pc, and its offline. then i choose Lost Mode, put activation code and put message. after wait for an hour and still offline then i decide to choose Erase Ipad. and then at 8.00pm i got email that inform me my ipad erased (it means the theft set it online)

My Question:
    1. does it still locked and the message still appears after erased?
    2. because i did it in hurry i didn't read the confirmation message prior click erase on that application that said after erased the device cant be tracked. i aware after read the manual tonight. is there any way to reactivate the tracking from the application that i opened on my pc?

thanks

2. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

3. cardfan macrumors 65816

My sister had hers stolen. I was able to pull up her serial number through itunes and checked it online through apple to see status. It said coverage discontinued or something like that.

Wondering why, i called apple support. They said it had been exchanged and told me which apple store. They were reluctant to do so but I talked her into it.

So I call the apple store and yep, more reluctance to help. After getting a manager, she confirmed that unit was at the store. We filled a police report and managed to pick it up. Took some waiting at the store though while the police met us there.

The manager treated her good though. Swapped it for a new one and added applecare+ to it since we got the run around. Whether they caught the thief, I've no idea. It was out of my hands at that point and Apple's problem.

4. akauts thread starter macrumors newbie

i just upgraded IOS 7

5. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Sorry bud, that is unfortunate.

That being said, since you upgraded to iOS 7, the ipad should have activation lock enabled now. As a result...your ipad will be nothing more than a paper weight for the thief.

6. akauts thread starter macrumors newbie

@BlueGoldAce thanks, i hope so.
    despite i choose erase? (in my mind, when choose i erased in Find My iPhone app, then it back to factory setting, and then theft able to configure it like a new ipad).

7. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5818

As you see here, you did the right thing erasing the ipad. Essentially now they can't do anything with it. They have to know you apple id and password in order to do anything with the ipad. It is will be stuck at the welcome screen you see when you first turn on a brand new ipad...but they won't be able to go any further without your info.

8. akauts thread starter macrumors newbie

@BlueGoldAce, Thank you very much for you info and detailed explanations.

9. Marrakas macrumors 6502

Marrakas

I love this, the thief probably though he was safe after exchanging the unit, but after all that information it should be a simple thing for the police to pick him up. I wish someone would film his face when arrested.

10. akauts thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, nice story with happy ending. it could happens there, but i'm stayed in a country where the apple store available in the capital of country only, and thousands miles away, where it wont possible the theft bring the stolen ipad to that store.

below is the status of my stolen ipad now, erased. but i'm glad my data and all information there erased and the theft couldn't do anything on it and base on apple FAQ above and @BlueGoldAce explanations, and hopefully message i typed in when configure erase mode appears, because i put my phone number there. I believe no body want to buy it because its locks. thanks all or your sharing.

But, is there any known techniques to unlock a stolen erased ipad mode, something like jailbreaking, etc and then it can be 100% reset to factory mode?

http://www.padusi.com/ani/general/documents/gallery/6_ Others/ipada17.jpg

11. ScottW1 macrumors regular

Just do NOT click the "Remove from account". If you do that, it will disassociate it from your account and that will remove the activation lock, allowing the thief to activate it.

12. akauts thread starter macrumors newbie

@ScottW1, ok thanks.. i will not do that.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

As of now, nobody has figured out a way to defeat this.

14. nemesis4670 macrumors member

There is no jailbreak for iOS 7 and in exchange no way for the thief to bypass the activation lock. Even if jailbreak was available (which it won't be for awhile) it would probably be difficult to bypass since the activation lock is server side with Apple. He would have to spoof the serial number somehow.

His only option is to strip the iPad for parts and sell them on eBay. But you would have to wish him good luck taking the thing apart. The iPad has one of the worst scores for it's ability to be taken apart.

Basically he was banking on the fact that you wouldn't be smart enough to lock & disable your iPad in time. But it turns out he wasn't smart enough to keep the device off the internet. So you WIN!