Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
The last time I ever had a 'no common encryption algoritims' or 'SSL_CYPHER_OVERLAP' error, I was attempting to browse a SSL-secured site (https) on Internet Explorer 5.1 on Windows 98 SE. Has been a long, long time since seeing one on a browser, especially a modern browser. YouTube is still working fine for me, but I'm using Firefox Quantum with YouTube Redux extension (which restores 2011-ish YouTube)

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Isn't Unity based off of GNOME 3? While I often love what everyone else hates (I actually adore TouchWiz--perhaps I'm Samsung's target demographic?) I can't say I actually was fond of Unity. Just something as innocous as moving the window controls to the left bugged me. But that was just one problem I had with it.
Unity 7 used GTK 3 but it was created for the express purpose of moving Ubuntu into the Convergence dream, with MIR replacing X11.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
The Pinephone isn't viable right now. The only way it will get there is with your support, my support, and others.

The most likely outcome is Pinephone fails. Be part of the change you want to happen!
Pinephone will always be a niche player. It's got zero chance of being anything more than a plaything for geeks.

Without a corporate sponsor with deep pockets, the platform is all but guaranteed to fail.

CANXOR

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2021
To accelerate progress you can donate money to the projects and developers who are building these features. GitHub Sponsors has a way to pay a monthly susbscriptions to projects you support, I've added 4 in my first month of using Linux. After all, Free software is free as in speech, not as in beer.
It just doesn't have anything that will appeal to the average consumer to allow it to stand against the likes of Android phones/iPhones.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Interesting timing

Looks like some folks at LTT are going to do a Linux challenge, where they'll be using Linux as their main OS for an extended period of time.

Forgive me if I don't find this hilarious. I mean, I had Linux for my main OS for the better part of 17 years. They don't know how easy they have it now. While I can easily go back to it (I still have a VM running Slackware), I went away from it just because I got tired of maintaining everything myself. It's easy, but I just got tired of doing it day in/day out.

Again, it's easy, but you just have to know what you're doing, and my fear is that most don't know what they're doing, which is why they run back to what they know.

BL.

Reactions: sracer

crymimefireworks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
sorry but Linux on phones to rise like iOS and android is nothing but fantasy

Here's to the crazy ones.
The misfits.
The rebels.
The troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things differently.
They're not fond of rules.
And they have no respect for the status quo.

You can quote them, disagree with them,
glorify or vilify them.
About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.

Because they change things.
They push the human race forward.

While some may see them as the crazy ones,
we see genius.

Because the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
The misfits.
The rebels.
The troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things differently.
They're not fond of rules.
And they have no respect for the status quo.

You can quote them, disagree with them,
glorify or vilify them.
About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.

Because they change things.
They push the human race forward.

While some may see them as the crazy ones,
we see genius.

Because the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world, are the ones who do.
thing is android is already open source and has freedom, so Linux cannot get strong foot hold

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Hilarious.

Now tell me what's so radical about Pinephone.

Ubuntu had deep pockets and they failed.

Having a Linux distro on a phone isn't "thinking different". It's a geek playground.

Noone outside geekdom cares about such a need. It's not supported by any US carrier and given that there's zero regulation on any part of the OS, it's one battery fire away from some nasty PR.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
thing is android is already open source and has freedom, so Linux cannot get strong foot hold
Only partly true with most phones, which have proprietary software (which may impact freedom--and poses real privacy concerns).

A deGoogled Android phone can offer privacy, freedom, etc--but it's not an easy option from what I hear. But it's the most viable option for that balances some idealistic goals with some real world usability. Certainly it's miles more viable than Linux phones at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: TiggrToo

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Apparently you seem to be unaware of what the Pinephone is.

Android uses the Linux Kernal, but it's no distro.

Pinephone is designed to run full distros on the phone.

Linux server distros (and containers) are where Linux shines.

Linux desktop distros have never made it past "geeks plus" stage.

Linux phones like Pinephone are solutions looking for non-existant real life problems.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Linux phones like Pinephone are solutions looking for non-existant real life problems.
And let me add that coming to market with a new product in a mature industry is incredibly hard.

I can't see this succeed, only the die hard linux geeks will try it out. Just look at the forums, and even the videos posted on pine64.org. They're more interested in you trying to load many different distros on the phone instead of providing a polished distro that has all the basic and required apps that a phone needs in 2021. You know, texting, social media apps, games etc. They seem more focused on showing people they actually can run fedora on a phone then trying to provide a full solution. At least System76 did that right with Pop_OS

Also as I mentioned, Android, is open source, and there are custom roms available (provided you have a phone you can root). I think you'd be better off using a custom rom and use all of androids tried and true services and apps.

Let me just add the LTT video that pine64 linked too basically said its not a daily driver phone but rather for those on linux who want to play with it.

Last edited:

crymimefireworks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
And let me add that coming to market with a new product in a mature industry is incredibly hard.

I can't see this succeed, only the die hard linux geeks will try it out. Just look at the forums, and even the videos posted on pine64.org. They're more interested in you trying to load many different distros on the phone instead of providing a polished distro that has all the basic and required apps that a phone needs in 2021. You know, texting, social media apps, games etc. They seem more focused on showing people they actually can run fedora on a phone then trying to provide a full solution. At least System76 did that right with Pop_OS

Also as I mentioned, Android, is open source, and there are custom roms available (provided you have a phone you can root). I think you'd be better off using a custom rom and use all of androids tried and true services and apps.

Let me just add the LTT video that pine64 linked too basically said its not a daily driver phone but rather for those on linux who want to play with it.

Appreciate your perspective here.

I need your help understanding this stuff.

1. The phone I want to use someday in the future is open source software and open hardware.
2. I understand this doesn't exist today
3. What can I do today to support this future?

crymimefireworks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Hilarious.

Now tell me what's so radical about Pinephone.

Ubuntu had deep pockets and they failed.

Having a Linux distro on a phone isn't "thinking different". It's a geek playground.

Noone outside geekdom cares about such a need. It's not supported by any US carrier and given that there's zero regulation on any part of the OS, it's one battery fire away from some nasty PR.

1. The phone I want to use someday in the future is open source software and open hardware.

I'm trying my best.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

I'm trying my best.

That’s the issue. You are focused on what YOU want when you are in the microscopic minority.

Most people don’t want what you want.

Most people want a device that they can take pictures with, send to their friends using whatever App their friends use and then look at their bank details and finally pay for something.

That’s not the market Pinephone targets.

Putting a full Linux distro on a phone is neither exciting, new or groundbreaking.

It is a security nightmare for normal folk and given the lack of controls, it’s very easy to break the device, overheat the battery or any number of issues.

Stop thinking YOU represent the future - you don’t. There’ll probably be devices that fit your need for some time, but they’ll always be niche and never ever mainstream.

Reactions: LeeW and bradl

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
That’s the issue. You are focused on what YOU want when you are in the microscopic minority.

Most people don’t want what you want.

Stop thinking YOU represent the future - you don’t. There’ll probably be devices that fit your need for some time, but they’ll always be niche and never ever mainstream.

Microsoft tried this once, back in 1998-1999 with Internet Explorer, when they created their own BGSOUND tag to add background music (to the web page author's choosing) and tried to pass that off as HTML standard, despite:
  1. It only worked in Internet Explorer, all .ASP pages, and Microsoft Frontpage,
  2. Only a very small sample of people ever used that tag, and
  3. it had absolutely no support at all from the W3C, let alone even came up for discussion for inclusion into the HTML 4.0 spec, let alone standard.
It turned out to be that Microsoft WANTED it, only wanted what THEY wanted to work, and make/try to pass that off as the standard for everyone.

3 years later, Frontpage and ASP were gone. Now even Internet Explorer is gone. IF history shows the trend, what one person wants for the standard for everyone doesn't end very well.

BL.

Reactions: TiggrToo

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The geek inside of me thinks the idea of a Linux phone is intriguing and in some respects it might be fun to play with but as Anthony in the LTT video posted above, its really something to toy with and shouldn't be a daily driver.

There's a reason why Andy Rubin and crew created Android instead just porting Linux. The Linux operating system isn't designed, or geared towards a tiny, processor, small screen, and a touch first interface - and wanting good battery life. Android is open source and if someone or the OP wants to support open source, then use Android.

Personally, I find it a mistake to base one's purchasing decisions on wanting to promote a cause or an agenda. I prefer to find the best tool for the job. For me that's windows for the desktop/laptop and iPhones/iOS for mobility.

As for Open Source, I can't put my finger on why, and its certainly could be tainted by my biases, but I just don't see Open Source being a force to reckon with in the mobile sector - not now, nor the future. One could argue that circumstances and timing that gave rise to Open Source was perfect for such a movement, but that never really materialized on the mobile front - mostly because Microsoft (remember WinCE), Apple and then Google were controlling the narrative, that is, looking to profit with regards to the app store.

Reactions: max2

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Forgive me if I don't find this hilarious. I mean, I had Linux for my main OS for the better part of 17 years. They don't know how easy they have it now. While I can easily go back to it (I still have a VM running Slackware), I went away from it just because I got tired of maintaining everything myself. It's easy, but I just got tired of doing it day in/day out.

Again, it's easy, but you just have to know what you're doing, and my fear is that most don't know what they're doing, which is why they run back to what they know.

BL.
Preach it. I remember what things were like back-in-the-day during those early days. LTT is just hyping it up for the clicks. From installation process, packed in device drivers, and plethora of highly function highly polished apps, there is virtually nothing in common with the Linux experience now from those days.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Interesting timing

Looks like some folks at LTT are going to do a Linux challenge, where they'll be using Linux as their main OS for an extended period of time.

they are so entertaining and I learn a thing or 2 with Linus et all!
fun fun!

too bad linux knows the person's geek level and will not load any disto on such these peoples laptops

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
really the the iPhone was introduced to mature industry and it won.

But Linux phone is just a fad in the geek world

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
really the the iPhone was introduced to mature industry and it won.
I have to disagree, smartphones were a brand new category back in the early 2000s Just look at all the different design choices, whether we're talking blackberry or Sidekick or the palm treo.

Apple did something completely different then anyone else, and it caught on. Just look at how both MS and BlackBerry scoffed and dismissed the iPhone

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.