Asked manager if I could switch departments, now I feel bad.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by amazingdm, Sep 4, 2010.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

I started work in one department, worked there for about a year then transferred to another and have been there for like five months..But it's been nothing but stress. Instead of working with in store items all I do is work with special order items that have to arrive at a customer's home and it's always an issue. I work with 4 other girls, 2 of which are cool the other 2 are catty cliquey and just pains in the asses. Then there's the department supervisor. He's a young guy, nice enough.. but he takes his job sooo seriously and it's like he always has to bring up an issue with me like what I did wrong.. he even wrote me up once but felt bad so he ripped it up. Bottom line, stress stress stress in this department. Then there's the other thing. It's BORING!

So today I asked the store manager and the scheduler if I could go back to my old department and they were more than happy to accomadate me. They were also running short on hours because the other 5 people in that department (that I'm still in and hate) all are full time.

Another reason to go back is that since I've left it left a big whole and they keep having to bring in other people from other departments to fill in even though they hate it. So it's not fair to them.

But I feel hella bad. I was actually helping out a lot for the department supervisor so now he's going to lose one person out of five other than him who actually did stuff in the department. And we've been pretty cool and talked like friends and stuff. So I don't know, it's probably going to bum him out. But the truth is there are days where I am so miserable there. Should I go back to my old department? If so what do I say to him?

To top it all off tonight they just told me that I did extremely extremely well in sales this week and was going to make the dept. look really good. Oye.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You need answer to your professional goals, not his.

'Nuff said.

It's not you, it's me. Seriously, tell him while you like him, the department he runs is too stressful for you. Though you really owe him no explanation.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

4. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

5. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Never feel bad for doing what is best for you at work. When it comes down to it other people will do what is best for them and best to believe companies/corporations are only out for themselves.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Do what advances you and what you need to do in your career. I doubt the supervisor would turn down a promotion stating that he can't leave you because it's such a joy supervising you. He would just take the promotion with a heck yeah!

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If you have learned all you can from that position, move on. Pain well spent.

Going backwards?? Well, that's up to you. But will you gain anything as a result? (Comfort does not count. ;))

Is there another department which has your interest, and might afford a further challenge to you?

8. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

I will release stress. It's not a new challenge but a comfort zone. My career is not at this store so I am not interested in moving up.

9. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

When a job is too hard the best thing to do is jump ship and let other people sort it out.

(j/k) :D

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It is do what is best for you. Screw the company because they would lay you off I'm a heart beat if it could make them an extra buck. Do what is best for you. If it lines up with the company that good if not well that is the companies problem not yours.