Asking a girl to prom..

da meat tree

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Hey Macrumors, its that time of year again.

I'm trying to find the best way to ask a girl to prom, but I want to be original.
I was obviously thinking of putting up a poster in the hallway, or on my car, and playing her favorite song and giving her roses, but that's not very original.

I pretty much have an unlimited supply of materials so I can do whatever, but I'm looking for some suggestions from you guys, or any advice you can give.

Thanks

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I guess times have changed, there was little fanfare when people asked people to proms when I was in school.

Pull her hair, punch her in the face and tell her you like her and would like to go to prom with her.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Hit in head with club. Grab hair. Drag to prom. Give nice flower for steal happy couple soul with picture box. No forget matching cummerbund. Suggest leopard skin. No can go wrong with leopard skin.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
I'm trying to find the best way to ask a girl to prom, but I want to be original.
You want to be original?

Geeze!

Gather up your courage, look her in the eyes and say, "I really think you're special. It would mean so much if you went to the prom with me."

Who needs a poster, when you could have sincerity?

SteveMobs

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Washington D.C.
You want to be original?

Geeze!

Gather up your courage, look her in the eyes and say, "I really think you're special. It would mean so much if you went to the prom with me."

Who needs a poster, when you could have sincerity?
+1, retro is original, too many people over thinking it now.

Elixer

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
The poster is a horrible idea in my opinion. I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate the extra pressure of knowing that everyone knows you are asking her out. This should be kept personal just talk to her one on one IN PERSON and ask her. Do not do it over the phone, via the internet, hand written letter, etc.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
If you have actually been different places with her, you could turn it into a scavenger hunt where she follows clues of different places you have been together, even if they are just random places. Eventually at the end, she finds you.

I'm not sure what it is like where you live, but it seems like when I was in high school, it was important to the girls how they got asked. I guess its similar to how a guy proposes, she's gonna have to explain the story to her friends so it better be good.

iMJustAGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2007
Beach, FL
Window paint her car and leave flowers in the seat. Don't be hiding or anything. Let her share the moment with her friends and she also won't be pressured to answer right there (unless you know she'll say yes then this part doesn't matter). It will make her call you.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Just keep it simple (flowers always work well) and don't over-do it like some people have said.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
I remember one of my prom dates, it was awesome, so was how I asked her out.

I was working a shift where I work and she came in. She goes to a different High School but man she was so beautiful! I spoke with her briefly and overheard her saying how she loves our lemon herb chicken. I knew her friend and he came in quite often, so I asked him where she lived. Jeez only a 30 minute drive from my house. I went to the other restaurant in our company that was closer to her house and bought her the Lemon Herb platter. I drove all the way to her house and just knocked on her door.

She was totally surprised to see me, she didn't recognize me at first. I asked if I could come in and I told her I thought she had the most gorgeous eyes and some other blabby stuff. She was really psyched, turned out to be the best prom date I ever had.

Then one time I asked a girl to homecoming, I gave her flowers and when I asked her I jokingly said I hiked three hours up into the mountains nearby to get those flowers, and then hiked three hours back. She thought I was serious until I told her when we bumped into each other outside of school some year later (she also went to a different school).