Asking about O2's 3G connectivity..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nicholas.C, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm going to get an iPhone 3G soon, and I wnat to know, does the 3G covrage work well over here? or is it like the stats where it's rubbish?

Thanks,
    Nick.

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

it depends where you are
    like in the US, some areas have good coverage, some bad

in most towns and cities, its fine

3. tallon macrumors newbie

tallon

4. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

^ ^ ^
    Beat me to it. I'd just got the link!

People on here have been saying the 3G connectivity problem is world-wide but I haven't seen much in the way of complaints from the UK. Maybe I've just missed them?

5. tallon macrumors newbie

tallon

Perhaps the O2 network is just a bit more mature? I've travelled a fair amount over Central Scotland during the past few weeks and have had very little issues with 3G.

6. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Sounds good to me! Waiting for my current contract to end.

7. Nicholas.C thread starter macrumors 6502a

Same lol,

I guess that AT&T and America are having a horrible problem with the amount of threads on it, does anyone in England get dropt calls at all? Or is UK the best 3G network?

8. philgilder macrumors 68000

3G in the UK has been here for ages, its quite new in the US
    in the UK, '3' and vodafone have the best 3G networks, O2 is not quite as good, but i dont get dropped calls, and when i am in a 3G area, download speeds are good - even gprs is fast (for email, maps etc - you can drive at 90mph (ooppps, didnt say that) and gprs will download maps with gps fine)

9. Loopy65 macrumors 6502a

Loopy65

unfortunately this isn't a 'given' .. I live in an area that shows saturated 3G coverage and I can see the mast from my house but alas .. no 3G for me!! .. haven't had any 'dropped calls' tho at all and still LOVE my iPhone!

Loopy

10. Nicholas.C thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, the UK is a perfect place for the iPhone you say?

11. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Sounds better and better. By the time I'm ready in November the worst of the software problems should have been addressed too (fingers crossed) and then it will be the perfect place for the iPhone 3G!

12. synagence macrumors 6502a

Even though the coverage map shows me slap bang in the middle of a good 3G spot i get "no service" with 3g and barely a decent EDGE signal ....

However, this was the same case with my previous phone AND network... i live in a modern appartment block and i think they just act like a farraday cage or something ...

If i leave the complex and walk onto the main road i get a full 5 bar 3G signal and doing a speedtest get over 1.6mb connect speed.

I think modern building designs are so full of steel reinforced concrete they block a lot of signal strength.

13. KingCathcart macrumors newbie

I live just outside London at get a good 3G signal, with browsing nearly as fast as on my home wifi. I do go into London quite a bit and often find browsing slows to a crawl, which will happen if there are a lot of people on 3G in the same area.

I have had some dropped call, especially recently with the 2.0.2 software (which I guess is the opposite of what is supposed to happen). However it has not been at the annoiance level of my Windows Mobile using days.

14. jacksam101 macrumors member

I get great 3G signal at work (Bristol) - at home in Crewe only got GPRS until the 2.02 update now get 1-2 bars 3G.

Also - no dropped calls for me.

15. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

If you live in a good 3G area yes. If not no, same as everywhere else. But I think, though I am not sure that 3G coverage percentage wise is greater here than in the states.