Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benny-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Berlin
Long story short I bought my 13" rMBP just under three months ago new from the Apple Store to replace my two year old iMac that developed a logic board problem.
Up until a few weeks ago I was using it as a desktop on a stand with a keyboard and mouse connected.
Now my work has changed I'm needing to travel and ive noticed my keyboard and sometimes my mouse stop responding. The computer meanwhile works fine with an external mouse connected.
Apple have now ruled out a software problem and agrees it needs a repair, I assume keyboard/mouse and or logic board.
The genius said to me this could take 10 days and a maximum of 14 plus another 7 days if Ieft the shop today and needed another appointment as none are avaliable on the whole schedule.
I asked if instead of a repair the machine could be replaced and it was a no. He mentioned I could always claim on my house insurance but as far as I'm concerned that's not for faulty goods.
I called apple care and mentioned the EU consumer legislation regarding goods under six months old must be repaired or if that's of inconvenience to the customer a replacement.
The gent on the phone said that I certainly can progress with that however Apple can't bring up the EU legislation only a customer can initiate such action and I must fill out a form at the store from which I bought it.
40 mins on hold and I got through to someone at the original Apple store that I purcheased my machine from. She said I must speak to a manager all of whom were in a meeting and I should email them. The email was for the store not an individual.
Now I'm waiting to see what if any response I recieve.
I'd like to hear from anyone else who has had a similar experience or from anyone who can give me some advice.
I know many people will perhaps look unfavourably upon me for wanting a replacement instead of waiting 17-21 days for a repair.

rmackner

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
Long story short I bought my 13" rMBP just under three months ago new from the Apple Store to replace my two year old iMac that developed a logic board problem.
Up until a few weeks ago I was using it as a desktop on a stand with a keyboard and mouse connected.
Now my work has changed I'm needing to travel and ive noticed my keyboard and sometimes my mouse stop responding. The computer meanwhile works fine with an external mouse connected.
Apple have now ruled out a software problem and agrees it needs a repair, I assume keyboard/mouse and or logic board.
The genius said to me this could take 10 days and a maximum of 14 plus another 7 days if Ieft the shop today and needed another appointment as none are avaliable on the whole schedule.
I asked if instead of a repair the machine could be replaced and it was a no. He mentioned I could always claim on my house insurance but as far as I'm concerned that's not for faulty goods.
I called apple care and mentioned the EU consumer legislation regarding goods under six months old must be repaired or if that's of inconvenience to the customer a replacement.
The gent on the phone said that I certainly can progress with that however Apple can't bring up the EU legislation only a customer can initiate such action and I must fill out a form at the store from which I bought it.
40 mins on hold and I got through to someone at the original Apple store that I purcheased my machine from. She said I must speak to a manager all of whom were in a meeting and I should email them. The email was for the store not an individual.
Now I'm waiting to see what if any response I recieve.
I'd like to hear from anyone else who has had a similar experience or from anyone who can give me some advice.
I know many people will perhaps look unfavourably upon me for wanting a replacement instead of waiting 17-21 days for a repair.

Why would you expect a replacement macbook for just a random issue with your keyboard/mouse. If you are using external keyboard/mouse have you tried in on another computer? I would break out the USB and restore the OS to factory and see how it works from there. Other then that you are in the hands of apple if you don't want to perform the repairs yourself.

Benny-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Berlin
Why would you expect a replacement macbook for just a random issue with your keyboard/mouse. If you are using external keyboard/mouse have you tried in on another computer? I would break out the USB and restore the OS to factory and see how it works from there. Other then that you are in the hands of apple if you don't want to perform the repairs yourself.

The problem isn't with the external keyboard and mouse it's with the built in keyboard and trackpad mouse, my apologies .
So far I've reset Pram/ SMC
Reformatted and a fresh install of both Mavericks and Yosemite also an upgrade to Yosemite over Mavericks each time from fresh the MacBook keyboard has stopped working even when completely vanilla with nothing installed.

rmackner

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
The problem isn't with the external keyboard and mouse it's with the built in keyboard and trackpad mouse, my apologies .
So far I've reset Pram/ SMC
Reformatted and a fresh install of both Mavericks and Yosemite also an upgrade to Yosemite over Mavericks each time from fresh the MacBook keyboard has stopped working even when completely vanilla with nothing installed.

The "stops working" is a bit vague and kinda hard to direct you to the next step. If you can explain what happens when it stops working it would help us help you ;).

Benny-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Berlin
The "stops working" is a bit vague and kinda hard to direct you to the next step. If you can explain what happens when it stops working it would help us help you ;).

Absolutely, sorry it's been a long week I've been on 2 flights and it's only Wednesday:S I filmed a few instances of when it happened to help with the Genius Bar.
The computer doesn't lock up I can still use it normally with the trackpad (if that also hasn't stopped working) and an external keyboard.
So the computer isn't crashing just the inbuilt keyboard and sometimes the trackpad just stops working as they have been turned off.
A restart fixes the problem.
As mentioned above there's no method to it it's random. There's no same software running and the keyboard has stopped working even after fresh installs with no software or updates installed.

rmackner

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
Absolutely, sorry it's been a long week I've been on 2 flights and it's only Wednesday:S I filmed a few instances of when it happened to help with the Genius Bar.
The computer doesn't lock up I can still use it normally with the trackpad (if that also hasn't stopped working) and an external keyboard.
So the computer isn't crashing just the inbuilt keyboard and sometimes the trackpad just stops working as they have been turned off.
A restart fixes the problem.
As mentioned above there's no method to it it's random. There's no same software running and the keyboard has stopped working even after fresh installs with no software or updates installed.

I have seen issues with the trackpad when you have a spike of hardware usage or the laptop is running hot. At this point all you can do is redownload yosamite then get it on a bootable usb drive. Completely wipe your drive with software like http://download.cnet.com/Permanent-Eraser/3000-2092_4-10668789.html
then perform a reinstall. If it still fails at that point it's 100% hardware related.

Benny-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Berlin
I have seen issues with the trackpad when you have a spike of hardware usage or the laptop is running hot. At this point all you can do is redownload yosamite then get it on a bootable usb drive. Completely wipe your drive with software like http://download.cnet.com/Permanent-Eraser/3000-2092_4-10668789.html
then perform a reinstall. If it still fails at that point it's 100% hardware related.
Thank you, I will give that a try tonight. The keyboard has stopped working even a few mins from being started up multiple times.
Even when the laptop is still somewhat cold from being in my office overnight.
I've got both a Mavericks and Yosemite usb stick made through disk maker, when using it I've wiped the SSD securely using disk utilities.
A number of times whem the keyboard has stopped working I've checked my App Minitor and CPU, RAM, network and disk usuage has all be very low as expected when I usually just have mail and pages open.

rmackner

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
Thank you, I will give that a try tonight. The keyboard has stopped working even a few mins from being started up multiple times.
Even when the laptop is still somewhat cold from being in my office overnight.
I've got both a Mavericks and Yosemite usb stick made through disk maker, when using it I've wiped the SSD securely using disk utilities.
A number of times whem the keyboard has stopped working I've checked my App Minitor and CPU, RAM, network and disk usuage has all be very low as expected when I usually just have mail and pages open.

Disk utilities doesn't really completely wipe the drive when formatted. I had tons of computes mac and windows that will do odd things till the drive is completely wiped with 0s. I would also redownload and load yosemite back onto the drive to completely rule out any type of software conflict.

Benny-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Berlin
Disk utilities doesn't really completely wipe the drive when formatted. I had tons of computes mac and windows that will do odd things till the drive is completely wiped with 0s. I would also redownload and load yosemite back onto the drive to completely rule out any type of software conflict.
Will do, I've also installed Yosemite using Internet recovery to help rule out a bad USB copy. It's been used on my friends exact spec MacBook and also an iMac and it has been fine for them but again I'll try Internet recovery again.
Can only think that if it is hardware I'm going to be stuck waiting for an appointment and then the repair itself which would be a real pain due to travelling abroad with work.
Last time that I had hardware problems with a MacBook was 2007 on a laptop much older than mine currently is and they swapped it for a new one without me asking and that was just for a speaker fault.

tumas

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014

Off Topic:
Overwriting the entire drive 35 times? That is quite paranoid and outdated (The Gutmann method is good only for very old HDDs) :) And hopefully you do not try this with SSDs. Even for HDD 1x overwriting with random data is more than enough.
http://download.cnet.com/Parted-Magic/3000-2094_4-10663999.html, make a bootable usb and using the secure erase command would be the best way to go. Takes about 5 minutes + will not "destroy" your SSD.

But to be honest i doubt, that this will solve the issue with the keyboard.

rmackner

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
Off Topic:
Overwriting the entire drive 35 times? That is quite paranoid and outdated (The Gutmann method is good only for very old HDDs) :) And hopefully you do not try this with SSDs. Even for HDD 1x overwriting with random data is more than enough.
http://download.cnet.com/Parted-Magic/3000-2094_4-10663999.html, make a bootable usb and using the secure erase command would be the best way to go. Takes about 5 minutes + will not "destroy" your SSD.

But to be honest i doubt, that this will solve the issue with the keyboard.

I've had tons of windows and mac boxes that had strange software issues that can't be resolved till the drive is completely wiped. The built in disk partition utilities in mac and windows aren't very good. Also it's just simple troubleshooting steps, if you completely wipe the drive but are still having issues it's 100% hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.