Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
So I started tutoring a middle schooler. His mom approached me because I work at the local library where they're running an after-school program, and her children and nephew are enrolled. Apparently my boss sold me as a good influence on these kids, so this parent became interested in hiring me. I said I'll do a test run up to the next report card and ended it with that, so that we can talk about pay later.

After about 2 hours of working with the kid, I went home. The kid's pretty bright or at least he seems to know what's he's doing. I mean, I did teach him a few simple things, and he was clearly able to regurgitate the information.

Anyways, I'm wondering what to ask for my salary. The after-school program is my first job and makes a nice $10+ per hour. But, with tutoring, I have no idea what's a reasonable price to ask for because she didn't make any offers either.

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
My wife's a 6th grade teacher. She says that a decent rate is $20-30 per hour. This, of course, depends on the area you live in. If you're tutoring in Beverly Hills, you could command a much higher price. Hope that helps.

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Well my math tutor who is 25 but hes is friggin useless get 25 euros per class which lasts around 45 minutes.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You can make a LOT being a tutor. Of course, you might need to look at his parents financial situation first. I know you should charge the same for everyone, say $20 per hour, but if his parents are poor and you wanted to do somenthing good, maybe charge $15 per hour?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
when i got tutors for high school they would want like 50+ but then again they are full teachers.......

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
When I tutored Chemistry in college, my going rate was $20 an hour. I was considered a deal, and recommended by the advisors. I think you can pull at least this, especially if your students enjoy working with you. I'd request 20/hr your first semester and then move up as demand rises.

Jim

Edit: EJ, $40/hr really? That seems like overkill, but I have lived in the south most of my life... I guess things are cheaper down here.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
What subject are you tutoring the kids in? Since you are seventeen, I would not get too pricey with whatever you decide to charge. Some replies have cited up to $40 an hour, but I see that as clearly excessive. I would be curious to know what the mother considers reasonable if, and when, she gets back to you on that issue.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Well, the mom is a single mother, but is a doctor. However, she's trying to get certified in the US because they are an immigrant family. She just hasn't had the time to stay home and help out her son. Her daughter is doing well in school and also a nephew that's doing well, too.

At the moment, I'm tutoring the kid in middle school math. Not sure what level of math it is because I was in Pre-Algebra when I was in sixth grade and this kid is learning about dividing decimals, fraction computation, solving simple equations (like 2 + n = 4).

Thanks for the info, everybody. I'll negotiate something sometime. I'm feeling $20 per hour.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
applekid said:
Thanks for the info, everybody. I'll negotiate something sometime. I'm feeling $20 per hour.

I appreciate the reply and believe the fee is basically where it should be. Best wishes with your tutoring.

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England
Don't devalue yourself because your young, you possibly have the enthusiasm and have studied in school recently so are familiar with how the school programme is.

I started teaching guitar when I was 13 for £15 an hour I now charge £20 p/h or £15 for a half hour (incentivise them to do longer)

Make sure you are professional and always charge one in advance so if they cancel you at late notice you don't get left without the money having avoided making plans etc.

Theres very good money in tutoring but remember its about helping people as well!

Good Luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.