iPhone 7(+) Asking for help to resolve inoperable 7+ iPhone - issues created by recent prompted SW upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Denisjco, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Denisjco macrumors newbie

Hello all, I am asking for advice on how to resolve issue with my 7+ - inoperable for many functions immediately after completing requested Apple SW upgrade.

I and my organisations are long time Apple customers - in my varied business models across global multinational roles, and current roles in multiple businesses. My extended family has also been committed Apple customers - iPads, iPhones, laptops, Apple Watch among many other...

I currently have a 7+ iPhone - approximately 1.5 years old. I was recently prompted to upgrade to sw release.

After the sw upgrade, the iPhone immediately had issues - incoming/outgoing calls not working, FaceTime stopped working, earpiece and speaker function not working. This has impacted businesses operations negatively at an important time.

Similar reference article:

Reference article: iPhone 7 mic failing after iOS 11.3 update? Apple may replace affected phones for free - 9to5Mac:
    https://9to5mac.com/2018/05/04/iphone-7-mic-failure-ios-11-3/

I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to resolve - reset and restore, then reset and setup as new, among other efforts. Very time consuming over 2 days. No result.

I then contacted support (Apple case 20000013663944)...many calls and notes, and also going through many diagnostic checks. The case was sent then went to engineering, which has taken another 8 days.

I have now been told today that the "SW upgrade triggered a HW issue". I have been instructed to now go to a HW location to resolve a HW issue.

This has become a very disappointing journey, and the timing of the sw upgrade with immediate issues is certainly aligned.

As a long time customer, and this device being reasonably new, having this issue at all is a general concern from a supplier and consumer perspective. There has been no offer to try and replace or fix, other than by myself...despite the start of the issues came from the promoted SW upgrade.

I am very disappointed in what has transpired, and now being told to go and spend more time "feeling like I'm on my own" - also extremely disappointing.

For the first time in my life, I am considering a total Android shift of my organization and extended businesses, as well as the other platforms. . I can't believe Apple has closed the door on me in this manner.
    I have also sent an email to Tim Cook on Oct.21, but no response to date.

I am asking for any advice/support that can be provided to replace my iPhone 7+ device based on this scenario. I am ok with reconditioned also.

Any support or advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration. My apologies for the long note.

D

2. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

At least let it check at Apple to know if its hardware related. Their service is top notch

Never heard of a hardware issue forced by software update. Definitely not common.

If u r in europe or have apple care they should offer u replacement for free. Otherwise u can still decide what to do and if u wanna switch to android. But mobiles go kaputt even androids...

3. Denisjco thread starter macrumors newbie

Reply:

Thank you for your reply. I’ve been told taw triggered the issue.

How might I escalate to get a result, we don’t have AppleCare here - looking for executive support to help me get a fixed, reconditioned or replacement unit.

All advice welcome to help me resolve.

Thanks again.

4. AlthePal macrumors newbie

AlthePal

Unfortunately without AppleCare, Apple only warrants their products free from defects for one year. I agree that your unit shouldn’t have failed only 1.5 years into owning it and I would be upset as well, especially if a software update somehow triggered a failure of hardware. I can definitely tell you that what happened to you is very uncommon. You also won’t find much recourse on here as I don’t believe this forum is in any way affiliated with Apple. You could try to visit an Apple store, plead your case and, although unlikely, see if they will replace it under good will.