Asking for replacement of Macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by suwandy, Apr 26, 2010.

1. suwandy macrumors regular

Hi,

a friend of mine just bought a new Macbook pro last month, the 13" one, but he isn't reading MacRumors so isn't aware of possible new lines of mbp coming. When the new lines eventually did come out, I told him that he should be able to ring up Apple and tell them what has happened to get the brand new one (especially since there was price drop and better specs).

The reason I believe this is possible is because I've read about it somewhere on the forums in MacRumors, but just to be on the safe side, is this still true? Did someone try this somewhere in the recent past and successfully got a shiny new MBP? What should I say to Apple to get the replacement?

Appreciate the quick reply because I will be visiting the store with him in a few hours.

:D

2. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

I believe this kind of situation is usually covered in the 14 day return policy. Your friend is probably SOL.

3. suwandy thread starter macrumors regular

Hey thanks,

that's unfortunate. I guess I might go anyway since it's nearby and see if he might be lucky =)

thanks for the quick reply. ^^

4. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

I'm curious to know what happened. Did he get a deal?

5. suwandy thread starter macrumors regular

Hello,

in case anyone is interested on the outcome of this.

I went to the store with my friend and walked up to one of the reps and told them the situation. He said there is only 2 condition that must be satisfied:
    1. That it is bought within a month (true to it, my friend bought the product on 27th March, and yesterday was 27th April so he got the deal)
    2. The item must be bought in that store for the deal to be honored (which he did)

So they took my friend's MBP and gave him the newer one. (And since it was cheaper, they also credited back $50 to his cc)

You rock Apple! =)

6. DoorMouse macrumors member

nice! that's pretty cool :)