Asking for some advice with OS 9

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by KawaiiAurora, Apr 5, 2017.

1. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Hey!

I was able to get OS 9 up and running thanks to the Unsupported G4 disc the folks at MacOS9Lives provide. I was quite dumbfounded seeing OS 9 boot on my 17" PowerBook G4 as Aluminium Books don't like OS 9 (natively at least). Decided to pop it on a USB pendrive and viola, it worked! Airport doesn't work of course and the headphone jack either but that's no biggie. Everything is real fast even from USB but I have some questions..

1. I use a Toshiba TransMemory 8GB pendrive. It's enough for me and speed is decent BUT will using an OS off of it kill it?
    2. If using it off USB isn't practical, I seriously need some advice on how to backup my Leopard parition.. Don't have a Leopard DVD so I'd like to backup my Leopard parition to a disk image and restore that via Tiger after installing it on a small partition (like it is now). The Tiger DVD i have doesn't like reading FAT32 drives and the 4GB limit would make backups useless anyways. Need to do this to install OS 9 drivers :/ I should be receiving a USB 2.0 PCMIA card soon so that will make the ordeal easier!
    3. I'd appreciate any other solutions to avoid nuking my HDD :)
    Thanks,
    Aurora

Have a pic!
    image.jpeg

2. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

This is the one thing I can help you with.

Backing up your Leopard partition is easy. You can put it all into a .dmg file. First, boot into Leopard. Next, open Disk Utility. Select your Leopard partition in the sidebar and click "New Image".
    Picture 3.png

Now set up your options like this (you can name the file whatever you want):
    Picture 2.png

Click "Save" and Disk Utility will start putting your whole Leopard partition in a .dmg file, which you can use to restore the partition later in Tiger.

IMPORTANT: When the time comes to restore, don't just open the .dmg and copy the files to a partition. You have to use Disk Utility for that. You may of heard of the Restore function. If not, I'll show you how to do it. :)

3. KawaiiAurora thread starter macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Thanks ;) Sems quite simple. Yeah, ik how to use restore; the copy of Leopard I have on my PowerBook G4 is restored via an HFS+ pen drive and the Tiger DVD. Might do it if I can justify the use of OS 9.2.2 enough.

4. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

How are the graphics on OS 9?

I'm trying to do this with my PB G4 12" 1.5ghz atm:p so far I've had no luck booting it. Maybe I just did something wrong...

5. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

It doesn't work on all unsupported Macs. It only works on the first Macs that didn't support OS 9. The aluminum PB that @KawaiiAurora is using must be from 2003. Yours may be from 2005.

6. KawaiiAurora thread starter macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Graphics are okay because the 4MX is supported on OS 9. I'm not sure about OpenGL peformance as I haven't tried that yet. I get the proper resolution and colour tho so it's probably working fine.