Asking: How to create scrolling arbitrary output in Terminal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrCheeto, Dec 8, 2009.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I'd like to create the look that something is happening in Terminal without actually doing anything. Sort of like how the Apple ]['s ROM checksum was used for the first-person view in The Terminator.

I'd prefer something that was just providing output, like a checksum, NOT moving or editing files or directories.

[​IMG]

Terminator ][? o.o

The 12 Gauge auto-loader, the .45 long slide with laser sighting, phase plasma rifle in a 40 watt range, the Uzi 9mm... two oxen died crossing the river

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

One idea that comes to mind is the tail command with the f argument on something like the system log that is updated pretty often.

3. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

The only thing I can think of involves deleting LOTS of files... but it provides LOTS of output.

You would need to install Xcode and then run the uninstall command. It scans each directory of system folders, and then deletes everything used by Xcode.

But it's a lot of trouble for nothing...

4. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Surely there's a better way to just get a lot of output, even if it's not ongoing, like I said much like the Apple ][ ROM checksum.