ASmall Dillemma: Sell iMac for new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adamlbiscuit, Jan 17, 2010.

1. adamlbiscuit macrumors regular

I have a 2007 White MacBook, and an Early '09 24" iMac. I bought the iMac last year because I just generally wanted a more powerful computer for my own personal enjoyment and satisfaction more than anything. I was going to save for a MacBook Pro initially, but in the end got the iMac because I figured I could get a more powerful computer for a lot less.

A year on, I've started some voluntary work which I need my computers for. I now work in an office, however I can't exactly lug my iMac there everyday, that leaves me with my white MacBook as the only possible machine I can use for my work. Its a shame though, because my MacBook is so weak compared to the iMac.

Then I thought I should get a MacBook Pro for work, but saving up would take its sweet time. It hit me then, should I sell my iMac to get a MacBook Pro that will give me power both at home or work?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If you find you need to have your computer on the go, then look into a more powerful portable.

Are you sure you need all the heavy lifting power of the MBP? The new MB's are pretty agile.

Also, take a look at the refurb store - you can save a couple of hundred dollars there, which will help make your iMac sale funds go a little further.

3. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

You could sell both of your computers and buy;

refurbished macbook pro of your choice; and

refurbished 24" apple display for $599

Now you have the 24" display for the "iMac" experience and the macbook pro for the portability experience. Now you have only one computer and need not worry about syncing.

4. adamlbiscuit thread starter macrumors regular

I want at least a 15" MBP because thinking about it, I need a larger screen just for the design side of my work. At the moment its all crammed on the 13" screen of the MacBook. My backpack has an in-built laptop case which will fit the 15" in it also. I definitely don't have enough desk space at work for the 17".

Thats an interesting suggestion, the only problem the MacBook is also used my mum and dad when its at home. I doubt they'll take kindly to me selling it. :( I dunno how much it'll sell for anyway, its old and its suffered from the palm rest cracks and bezel cracks.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I wholly support the 15" - I'm typing on one right now and it's just enough screen space to work in dreamweaver, photoshop, and flash with their sidebars and windows (each in a different spaces space).

Condition is everything with a mac and those cracks will cost you too much value to make it worth trying to sell it (and keeping mom and dad happy is always a good idea!).

You can pick up a non-apple external display for much cheaper than an apple version and the extra screen real estate is a nice option.