asp with standard Apache OS 10.6.3

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Kelon, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Kelon macrumors member

Hi
    Thanks for stopping by. Hope I can be clear because I'm a bit tangled up with this.

Pre-existing websites
    I've got pre-existing websites in asp I've been asked to develop. They're on Apache 1.3 running the chiliasp handler.

Best way forward
    I'm looking for thoughts really and maybe guidance.
    Are these options viable?
    • Just install the handler into my Apache (My impression is that chiliasp doesn't not seem readily available any longer)
    • A different handler will cope such as....?
    • A module available for Apache now will do it?
    • Other....?
    Humm... obvious I'm a bit lost, huh. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction - ^'ll do the leg work. All views welcome though I'm afraid I'll ignore suggestions I install Windows emulation.

Thanks

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

No point in helping then.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

A quick Google for "apache asp" found this little gem: Apache-ASP

4. Kelon thread starter macrumors member

Hi, thanks for taking the time...

I thought it might prompt something (Cromulent). Installing Windows emulation for a couple of small website projects just doesn't justify itself IMHO. I've had Windows emulation on the mac before.

Hi Wrldwzrd89. My journey on this topic has taken me round in a circle to Apache::asp. Just finding the documentation there a bit heavy weather – I'm feeling out of my depth is why. I did successfully install Apache and php on the old Apple OS without resorting to MAMP etc., but it's a while since I did it., so perhaps I'm just really rusty. Thanks for looking.

I'm not really looking to do any asp development is the truth, because someone else has ownership of that. However, I could do with a way of parsing the asp pages locally so I can test out changes to CSS and html within the asp.

All the best and thanks.

5. Ap0ks macrumors 6502

Saying Windows emulation on a Mac isn't justified because of the size of the projects is just plain silly, ASP is a Microsoft technology.

Since you say you aren't developing the ASP code, only the HTML & CSS whats to stop you just commenting out the ASP? Unless the HTML & CSS changes are part of the ASP output, in which case can't the developer give you access to a test server?

6. Kelon thread starter macrumors member

...well I've not spent time thinking through a full justification for not wanting to install Windows emulation for an asp project running on Apache Unix, not Microsoft.

The structural code is output by the asp and it's the mechanism for accessing the database. Quite a lot about this project is not unfortunately clear cut and straightforward. Would that it was.

Something I need to explore though I believe the answer there is no.

Thanks for your comments. I'm exploring other avenues.