Aspect Ratio Complaints

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sekazi, Mar 31, 2012.

1. sekazi macrumors 6502

I always hear people complaining they do not like the iPad because it is 4:3. They say it should be 16:9.

I have never understood this because when holding a 16:9 sideways it just does not work. You cannot read any webpages this way so really your only position the tablet is useful in is landscape.

Then you have the people complain that there will be black bars when watching movies. I hate to burst their bubble but most movies are still in 2.4:1 ratio which will give black bars even on a 16:9 screen.

I think the same with computer monitors except that I think anything wider than 16:10 is almost useless.

2. xak macrumors regular

Meh, I like it. Isn't 4:3 the proportions of regular lined paper? Just some thought.

I agree with the 4^2:3^2 being basically only good in landscape. Probably why Apple decided on a more versatile proportion.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It's impossible to get the aspect ratio to be ideal for all situations. It's all about compromise, design, overall usability, marketing and perception.

4. jltj macrumors member

I prefer 4:3 too. 16:9 is good for some videos but crap for everything else. Read or browse the web on a 16:9 tablet and in landscape, it is lacking in vertical height, in portrait, it's like reading text printed on toilet paper! Just seems awkward either way. When you're using a desktop monitor, these problems don't really exist because of the larger size of the screen, but on a mobile device screen, you start to feel it...