Aspect ratio - MB via HDMI to Plasma

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by monolith23, Jul 8, 2009.

1. monolith23 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

just lost my previous thread because I was logged out while submitting it so I'll be brief.

Here's the chain

mb (fall 2007)
    mini-dvi to hdmi adapter
    hdmi cable
    plasma (panasonic tx-p46g10)

the screens are not mirrored;

when playing fullscreen video via vlc player and maximising to plasma screen there is a slight zoom when in 16:9 preset (plasma) and a slight distortion when in scan or auto preset (plasma) - the picture is then not cut off horizontally but vertically , leaving out about ten lines on top and bottom. this pertains regardless of video source (16:9)

Is there any way to fix this? Possibly via qtpro?
    Sorry for the garbled style - first time was nicer. ;)

Thanks.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

In mirrored mode, unless you have the option of "overscan" in your display preferences for the TV, you won't fill the screen. This is due to 16:10 on the MacBook's side as opposed to 16:9 for the TV. Mirror mode is mirroring your 16:10 ratio (1280x800) to your 16:9 screen, which is why when you force 16:9 on the TV's side, you lose some picture from the top and bottom.

You should be able to get a perfect fill using extended desktop mode. That's how it is with my UMB going MiniDisplayPort-->HDMI. In VLC player, you can select your TV as your monitor to use in extended desktop mode for full screen viewing in the Video drop down menu and then in one of the sub-menus, device maybe? And select your TV as the default fullscreen device (I don't recall as I'm not on my UMB at the moment)

3. monolith23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sorry - in my first post that was lost, I laid it out more clearly.
    Yes, in mirrored mode I have the black margins to all sides. The problem I am describing occurs when the screens are not mirrored. (the mention of that above is not an edit)

and what happens is that either the picture is slightly zoomed or that it fits horizontally but is stretched vertically resulting in a slightly squeezed picture
    i.e. not all information is displayed.

thanks for your answer though. I am guessing that this one might not be easy to figure out.

Fabian