Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you could choose;

• 16:9 aspect ratio with notch and screen sharp edges

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • 19:5:9 aspect ratio without notch and rounded edges

Votes: 28 71.8%

• Total voters

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
If you could choose... what will you prefer?

Always thinking in an “full screen” body design:

1) Traditional aspect ratio 16:9 with notch

2) New aspec ratio 19:5:9 without notch

Vote!

Last edited:

phatAsianboi

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2019
2. Cuz I’m pretty comfortable with my Xs and I mostly don’t realize the notch. I even sometimes kinda like the design for some reason

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Apple's promotional images for all new iPhones completely hide the (horrible) notch. It's as if they're embarrassed by it too (and they should be).

image.png
image.png
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reactions: nouveau_redneck

alphaswift

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
Holy hell, people. If you don't like the notch stay on the 8 or buy a Samsung. Apple has literally sold tens of millions of these phones with notches. People don't care. Move on.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
Holy hell, people. If you don't like the notch stay on the 8 or buy a Samsung. Apple has literally sold tens of millions of these phones with notches. People don't care. Move on.

How many would they have sold if the ugly notch did not exist?

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
Apple's promotional images for all new iPhones completely hide the (horrible) notch. It's as if they're embarrassed by it too (and they should be).

View attachment 830671 View attachment 830672 View attachment 830673 View attachment 830674

They are very deceptive images. I was in the Apple Store explaining to my brother why I wasn't attracted to the new models, namely due to the notch and he had no idea they even had one. I showed him a display one in person and he couldn't believe they look so different to the posters in the same shop.

I wonder if any people who don't live near an Apple Store ordered them online on the strength of the images thinking 'Phew, no notch this year.' were disappointed to see what arrived. The images should clearly show the notch if it's really NOT a bad thing...

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
How many would they have sold if the ugly notch did not exist?

People that aren't going to purchase the phone because of the ears wouldn't have bought it regardless.

Remember, the 'notch' isn't removing from the display. Apple chose to give back the portion of the display next to the sensors rather than hide it all in a bezel. Now, we have some data there signal strength, time, battery level, etc, that would otherwise have to reside on top of your normal viewing area.

The ears/notch do not remove any functionality. At most, it's a minor aesthetic decision (reduce the display by a larger amount with a bezel, or reduce it by a smaller amount with a notch/ears), and one that will not have put off many people that weren't already inclined not to purchase an iPhone.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
People that aren't going to purchase the phone because of the ears wouldn't have bought it regardless.

I'm just one case that proves your statement incorrect. Of course there are many more.

I was eagerly waiting the X version of the iPhone, cash in hand. I was extremely disappointed and didn't upgrade. A couple of months later, still disappointed, I ended up buying the 8+, refusing to own a phone with a screen so awkwardly unbalanced. The notch is clearly a mistake. I've said it before, and saying it again. Watch Apples iPhone sales soar once they get rid of that abomination. Mark my words and tag this point. It will happen.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The notch is clearly a mistake. I've said it before, and saying it again. Watch Apples iPhone sales soar once they get rid of that abomination. Mark my words and tag this point. It will happen.
It won’t.

Slower unit sales are nothing to do with the notch and everything to do with the decelerating pace of technological enhancements. Consumers no longer need to upgrade with the frequency they once did to have a phone that meets all their needs. Faced with the choice, consumers are pocketing the savings rather than pay a premium for a phone that’s only marginally better than the one they already own.

Everybody was dubious about the notch. Myself included. But after two minutes of handling an display model iPhone X in the Apple Store, I knew it was a total non-issue.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
It won’t.

Slower unit sales are nothing to do with the notch and everything to do with the decelerating pace of technological enhancements. Consumers no longer need to upgrade with the frequency they once did to have a phone that meets all their needs. Faced with the choice, consumers are pocketing the savings rather than pay a premium for a phone that’s only marginally better than the one they already own.

Yes, I've seen this posted and have read the reports on slowing sales. I understand the various factors at play in slowing device sales, and vendors responses in trying to open new markets, etc. I get that. It's a trend has occurred in multiple technology areas as devices move towards saturation and commoditization.

Once that trend starts to weight on device sales it becomes of paramount importance to build in either greater value, or features that create a desire among the masses to upgrade even when an upgrade is not necessarily called for. That is where the notch, camera bulge, feature stagnation, etc. come into play. The X iPhone line is nowhere near what it could be. It is a bad compromise in order for Apple to claim no bezel, when a very small top bezel would be more balanced and athletically pleasing to a large number of people.

The notch was a misstep by the industrial designers at Apple. A design that is polarizing. There is a split among iPhone users. Some like it, some just get used to it, some hate it and won't buy it. They need to do much better in the design department to overcome other market forces. I still maintain there are enough people like myself waiting for a non-notch phone from Apple to create an explosion of purchases when the time comes.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Yes, I've seen this posted and have read the reports on slowing sales. I understand the various factors at play in slowing device sales, and vendors responses in trying to open new markets, etc. I get that. It's a trend has occurred in multiple technology areas as devices move towards saturation and commoditization.

Once that trend starts to weight on device sales it becomes of paramount importance to build in either greater value, or features that create a desire among the masses to upgrade even when an upgrade is not necessarily called for. That is where the notch, camera bulge, feature stagnation, etc. come into play. The X iPhone line is nowhere near what it could be. It is a bad compromise in order for Apple to claim no bezel, when a very small top bezel would be more balanced and athletically pleasing to a large number of people.

The notch was a misstep by the industrial designers at Apple. A design that is polarizing. There is a split among iPhone users. Some like it, some just get used to it, some hate it and won't buy it. They need to do much better in the design department to overcome other market forces. I still maintain there are enough people like myself waiting for a non-notch phone from Apple to create an explosion of purchases when the time comes.
Totally get what you’re saying, but I think you’re overestimating the number of people who are not buying because they don’t like the notch. There will always be a few - there are even members of this forum who, to this day, refuse to buy an iPhone with a camera bump - but the numbers are insignificant in the context of Apple unit sales.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I was actually very confused initially I thought the notch was removed. Was very disappointed to find out it was just the wallpaper making the notch hard to see for me.

Reactions: wib

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I’m confused by the survey choices. First, I assume by sharp edges you mean sharp corners. If a screen has sharp corners, then how does that work with a phone that has rounded outside corners and no bezels? Either it has to have some bezels—and they would need to be substantial for the sharp corners to not look weird against the round corners (edit- in which case there would be no need for a notch)—or the phone itself must have sharp corners—which is a little impractical because it could cause pain.
Also I don’t know how one can get rid of the notch AND bezels, and not have at least a hole punch for the front camera, and that’s without Face ID.

Last edited:

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I’m confused by the survey choices.

It's just a bad survey period. There are 8 permutations (two aspect ratios to choose from, no or no notch, sharp or rounded corners). Of the 8 different permutations of those options, you get to decide between two. Whatever the results are from this poll, they're completely useless and provide no real value.

Reactions: Kram Sacul

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
It's just a bad survey period. There are 8 permutations (two aspect ratios to choose from, no or no notch, sharp or rounded corners). Of the 8 different permutations of those options, you get to decide between two. Whatever the results are from this poll, they're completely useless and provide no real value.
Yeah arbitrarily limiting choices is not good too, but I don’t even understand the two choices that are there haha.

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
I was actually very confused initially I thought the notch was removed. Was very disappointed to find out it was just the wallpaper making the notch hard to see for me.

Yes, I think a lot of people were tricked by those advertising images too.

This thread is a little late for April 1st. The notch hate is so 2017.

The posters were a little 'April 1st' don't you think? 'No notch, look.' - 'Ha, ha! April Fools!'.

The people that didn't like them in 2017 were unfortunately still disappointed in 2018.

This is an impossible scenario I know, but I wish they could put out a design with a tiny bezel absorbing the notch and another with the notch, and see which one sells best...

I'm just curious.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
This is an impossible scenario I know, but I wish they could put out a design with a tiny bezel absorbing the notch and another with the notch, and see which one sells best...

I'm just curious.

The answer ought to be obvious. There are very few people who actually enjoy the look of the notch and would hate to see it go. It's just that most people have moved on and most of them realized that it just fades away during normal usage. That doesn't work for everyone of course. But most seem to not have too many issues with it. Very few people desire a notch for the sake of having a notch.

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
The answer ought to be obvious. There are very few people who actually enjoy the look of the notch and would hate to see it go. It's just that most people have moved on and most of them realized that it just fades away during normal usage. That doesn't work for everyone of course. But most seem to not have too many issues with it. Very few people desire a notch for the sake of having a notch.

Sorry, yes I realise that. I was being a bit tongue in cheek about it as some people who have embraced the notch are often dismissive or critical of those who don't, and defend it like it's a feature of the design, rather than something they wouldn't be upset to see removed.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Yes, I think a lot of people were tricked by those advertising images too.

The posters were a little 'April 1st' don't you think? 'No notch, look.' - 'Ha, ha! April Fools!'.

The people that didn't like them in 2017 were unfortunately still disappointed in 2018.

I'm just curious.

My question is did Apple choose a wallpaper to try and hide the notch or did they choose a cool wallpaper that HAPPENED to basically hide the notch?

I mean there is no reason to believe that Apple would try and hide it...right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.