Aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Tech198, May 19, 2019.

1. Tech198 macrumors G5

Why does Apple think its ok not to mess with Aspect ratio for Movies, but is OK for TV shows ?

The results may be better presentation on TV set, but it's not the original aspect ratio

in this case, this episode is full screen (no black bars) even though it's SD content.

This isn't the only one it happens too.. and there is noting on ATV to change this nor on TV set itself... So it looks its just how Apple does things.

I prefer watching TV shows in their normal aspect ratio, even with Black bards on SD content, so be it. as that's how it was done.

Attached Files:

2. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

It's not Apple, it's whoever (Fox?) added that tv episode to the iTunes Store.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G5

Are you saying Fox would do its own exception for iTunes? These are SD episodes, the same ones that were shown OTA...

4. waw74 macrumors 68040

try double tapping (not clicking) the siri remote touch pad, that might change it.

And Yes, it's Fox who provides the files,
    they can make the choices as to what aspect ratio they're in

a lot of times when things are added to streaming services, the provider will mess with them again.

5. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G5

ya, tried that too, but double tapping didn't do anything.. iTunes offers this in HD as well but i purchased the SD version.

I was expecting to see black bars though as SD content. But seems it must be some sort of high quality SD or something. as it takes up the full TV viewing area.