aspect ratios...humor me.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by decksnap, Feb 14, 2009.

1. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

One thing I don't know much about... just curious... most movies I rip look like Superbad (below) but some are super wide like Step Brothers (below). What are the ratios of these movies and is this just a factor of how they were mastered, or something I can change in Handbrake?:confused:

Also, why does Handbrake rip to m4v instead of mp4 now? I just don't get it.

Attached Files:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's up to the studio, Superbad is 16:9 (looks to be anyway) and Step Brothers appears to be 2.35:1.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

According to IMDB Superbad is 1.85:1 (slightly wider than 1.78:1 aka 16x9) and Step Brothers is 2.35:1. Yes it something that was finalized when the movie was finished and no it's not something you can change (at least not change w/o cropping or distorting the image).

Lethal

4. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

Thanks... I was worried something changed in Handbrake or something. I hate the super wide ones.

I also start second-guessing whether or not the peoples' heads are stretched... maybe it's just me.

5. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

I think m4v allows them to rip h.264 compatible files because in the past the h.264 videos wouldn't run on my ipod.

6. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Those Quicktime screenshots you posted, are those directly from Handbrake?

If so, I don't understand why Step Brothers isn't 16:9 and letterboxed to 2.35:1? Does handbrake remove any letterboxing it detects? Or is there some secret where you can use other aspect ratios without manual letterboxing?

(I've only ever been able to master a DVD to 4:3 or anamorphic 16:9, and if I want anything wider, I have to manually letterbox it.)

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Whenever I use HB, it automatically removes the letterboxing.