iPad Aspiring iPad 4 buyer

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dimi94941, Mar 4, 2013.

  1. dimi94941 macrumors regular

    Oct 25, 2010
    Hello everybody.

    I have been saving up to buy an iPad for quite a while now, because it is just too damn convenient for college.

    With that being said, what would you do in my case, go ahead and finally buy it, or wait for the 5th one? I know the all "if you wait, you will never buy" and "might as well wait for the 6th one with that mentality", but the reason I ask is, because the 4th one was surprisingly introduced in October, so, is there a chance of the new iPad BEFORE October 2013? I know Apple is unpredictable (like with the release of the 4th one, but still), but if the new one will not be introduced before october, i'll definitely not wait, but if it will... then, I think, if I waited this long, I can wait a little bit more.

    Also, an unrelated question: iPads are unlocked right, I can use any SIM card for internet, right?

    Thanks for the answers in advance
  2. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020


    Mar 19, 2012
    Buy one now. I doubt apple will be releasing a new one any time soon. If they do end up releasing one at the end of this month or next month, sell your iPad 4 the second the invites are going out. Your loss will be minimal. The iPad 4 is already plenty fast for every app currently in the app store and will be for a while until apps catch up with hardware. IF the iPad 5 were to be released in the next couple months I wouldn't expect anything more than a new design to match and a minor spec bump. I doubt we'll will see anything with the A7 until the iPhone.

    Anything anyone says though is purely speculation. Nobody knows and the best advice I can give you is to just buy now.
  3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

    Sep 18, 2010
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Buy one now. Seems like you need it.

    Who knows, Apple could've just shifted the iPad release to October to maximize profits in the holiday season.
  4. syd430, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013

    syd430 Guest

    They just released a 128gb model last week. I doubt they are going to replace it in a month.

    edit: released last month* point still stands
  5. maxosx macrumors 68020

    Dec 13, 2012
    Southern California
    Apples lusting over wristwatches at the moment.

    Smart, they'll do anything to keep the blogosphere talking about Apple.

    In fact I do believe the brand "Apple" is now more valuable & influential than anything they build.

    iPad? Oh that's so last year. Just buy one. No questions asked. ;)
  6. virginblue4 macrumors 68000


    Apr 15, 2012
    United Kingdom
    How badly do you need one? If it were me, I'd wait. I remember when they announced the iPad 2 in March 2011. I was ready to buy one around June 2011, but I decided to wait until the iPad 3 was announced 9 months later. But as I said, that's just me! :)

    It was announced January 29th. We are now in March.... It wasn't last week.
  7. yokken macrumors member


    Feb 3, 2013
    I'd wait. If you don't NEED it, which I'd argue most people don't, then just wait for the revised model with the new body style. Hopefully it will be noticeably lighter. I don't much mind if it's thinner, but I would love if they shaved off .3lbs. It's a bit heavy as it is (iPad 4) but I don't mind it. That said, the second Apple starts sending invites for their event, I will be selling mine to buy the new one. :D
  8. jgag macrumors member

    Sep 19, 2012
    Buy it. When Apple releases the next iPad and you decide you would rather have that one, sell the iPad 4 and buy the iPad 5. Rinse and repeat.
  9. Small White Car macrumors G4

    Small White Car

    Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    Here's the thing. If they DO come out with a new one so soon...if they are apparently moving to a 6-month schedule...then the changes will be minimal.

    So maybe it'll have a slightly faster processor or a brighter screen. Who knows what, exactly, but I can tell you it won't be a big change. Such is the nature of the fast refresh cycle. (If it's even going to happen. Personally, I'm not so sure.)

    But that's the beauty of it. Either way, buy now, and there will be no regrets.
  10. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

    Sep 12, 2009
    Currently, Apple is very unpredictable. iMore suggests that Apple is considering announcing the new iPad 5 in April. If you could, I'd wait a month - iMore has been a reliable source.
  11. Cheffy Dave, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

    Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

    Cheffy Dave

    Feb 5, 2007
    Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    The new iPads will be released in April, the iPad 5 will be in the new thinner form factor, same size screen, less bezel, nice Retina screen, with a 128GB SSD option,improved battery life.TheiPad mini same as it is now with the exception of a Retina Screen,and the 128GB SSD option. I sold my iPad 3 to Gazelle,months ago, have been limping along with the original iPad.I will buy the 5 in WiFi flavor, and the Mini w/Verizon LTE for the business .
    Wait, I am!

    Don't flame me over the specs, it's going to happen!:cool:
  12. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

    Jan 20, 2010
    The 3rd gen was the surprise, the 4th gen was released on schedule.

    Incorrect. iPads are locked to carriers just like iPhones.

    To answer the actual question: buy what you need. If you need an iPad now, get it. If not, wait. I honestly doubt we'll see a new iPad before the fall event, though.


    The fact that you're talking about SSDs in an iPad shows that you must know exactly what you're talking about. I won't deny the possibility, but I think it unlikely.
  13. RenoG macrumors 65816

    Oct 7, 2010
    What do you have to loose? Buy now, use it now, be happy. If the 5 comes out decide if you want to even be bothered with it, if not you lost nothing, if so sell the 4 as soon as 5 is announced and buy the 5 with the funds of the 4.
  14. teknikal90 macrumors 68030


    Jan 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    macrumors says that they are...but look at their past predictions (also from macrumors):

    Got the price wrong, and it doesnt have a retina display. and it doesnt look the same as the big ipad.

    screen size change was disputed

    I like Kuo's (analyst) track record better:

    and he says no new ipad until the fall
  15. virginblue4 macrumors 68000


    Apr 15, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Actually, you are wrong. All iPads up until the iPad 4 had been announced in the Spring. Then they announced the iPad 4 in October.
  16. teknikal90 macrumors 68030


    Jan 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I think the off timeline of the iPad 4 was in response to market pressure brought about by Apple's inability to bring the A6 to iPad 3.
    the iPad 3 was released with iPad 2's (re: 1 year old) internals. At the time, this was okay as there were barely any good ipad competitors out there. They had slack.
    However, had the iPad 3 be kept in the lineup towards the holiday season, Apple'd be betting its tablet business on an almost 2 year old technology against the influx of new tablets just released/to be released with modern specs (nexus, surface, galaxy..)
    I think the iPad 4 was supposed to have the new design. but they brought it 4 months early, sacrificing the new design for better internals to keep it competitive and keep the iPad name superior as people started researching prior to the holiday season.
  17. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

    smoking monkey

    Mar 5, 2008
    You Only Live Twice
    I'd wait until April and if there is nothing then grab one.

    Personally I think the next ipad will be a big change:

    Thinner, lighter, redesigned with possible less reflective screen and slightly faster.

    Those are pretty big factors in a device like an iPad.
  18. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

    Jan 20, 2010
    You are correct! After I made my comment, I happened to see a timeline of iPad releases, and I realized my error. My bad!
  19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

    Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA

Share This Page