Aspyr Celebrates 20th Birthday With Massive Sale

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mac game publisher Aspyr is celebrating its 20th anniversary this week, and to mark the occasion, the company is discounting all of its games and DLC on both the Mac App Store and Steam.

Games deeply discounted include Borderlands 2, Civilization V, Bioshock Infinite, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Sim City 4, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, Sims 2, and many more.

Aspyr also plans to give away free Steam and Mac App Store game codes on its Twitch stream through 9/16, and it's running a contest on Facebook to win an iMac and the complete Aspyr game catalog.

Article Link: Aspyr Celebrates 20th Birthday With Massive Sale

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I remember when I used to play these games -- primarily Sim City and Civilization. Unfortunately no time these days. I prefer games on the phone or ipad that I can play on the run.

Reactions: miknos

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Oldies but goodies—I like the IdTech engine (Doom III, Quake 4, Prey). Always seemed to perform well.

If I had to recommend one, I think Prey was underrated and extremely cool. (Very unusual multiplayer deatjmatch included, if you can round up some friends.)

Sad to see Quake Wars no longer available! I think it still runs on current OS versions, just without sound—but I guess it's bootcamp from now on. (Or fire up an old un-updated Mac.)

Reactions: ikir

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
There's no games in this collection that I don't have but want, but my 9 year old iMac doesn't run macOS (and it's painfully slow on El Capitan), so I've entered the sweepstakes just for the opportunity to get a newer iMac for free.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Thinking of picking up Call of Duty for $10. Any reason to purchase on Steam vs. the MAS? I've seen some comments of limitation of buying though the MAS.

RoboCop001

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
They need to bring Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force (the first one) back! Loved that game. Can't install it anymore, as far as I know. It's too old now.

Unless someone here has gotten it to install on the latest OS?

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
Looks like I'll finally be picking up Bioshock Infinite and Civ:BE.

I also considered the Borderlands Prequel for a minute but there's no way I'll play that instead of Overwatch. Well, tbh chances are slim I'll play much of anything besides Overwatch but I always wanted to try those first two. So... nostalgia purchase? :p

bladerunner2000

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2015
Thinking of picking up Call of Duty for $10. Any reason to purchase on Steam vs. the MAS? I've seen some comments of limitation of buying though the MAS.
Buy on steam and play your games in Windows. You'll get way better performance.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

ikir

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Bioshock Infinite is a masterpiece
[doublepost=1474004864][/doublepost]
Reasons pls
Mac App Store so with family my girlfriend have the game free and we can play togheter with 2 different account with 1 purchase Mac App Store also is not bloated

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Steam, if you're always going to be connected to the Internet. Generally better options for DLC, etc.

But if you're going to be playing anything offline, MAS is probably the better bet. And, as noted above, if you want multiple members on the same "family" account to play it, MAS is better - Steam limits to one copy running at a time, even with family sharing on.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Steam, if you're always going to be connected to the Internet. Generally better options for DLC, etc.

But if you're going to be playing anything offline, MAS is probably the better bet. And, as noted above, if you want multiple members on the same "family" account to play it, MAS is better - Steam limits to one copy running at a time, even with family sharing on.
Thanks for the info. What's DLC?
[doublepost=1474039693][/doublepost]
Probably not, as long as you're getting the best price. If you're planning on buying more games over time you'll find the selection on Steam is much larger though and that games come out sooner on the Steam platform.
They are charging the same price at the MAS and on Steam for all of their sale items, as far as I can see. I guess these prices expire today but they don't say when.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
DLC = downloadable content. Expansion packs and such. Steam often has sales on this stuff but it's rarely discounted as App Store IAPs, and not always available as IAP.

May not apply so much to older games - these are often sold with all expansions included anyway. Be sure to check exactly what is being offered from each source.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
Thanks for the info. What's DLC?
[doublepost=1474039693][/doublepost]

They are charging the same price at the MAS and on Steam for all of their sale items, as far as I can see. I guess these prices expire today but they don't say when.
Sale ends Monday I believe.

Stick with Steam if you do multiplayer. Mac ports are typically limited to matchmaking via Game Center unless the developer spends a lot of time and resources to rebuild multiplayer from the ground up. A prior post in this thread links to a lengthy explanation on why this is so. :D

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Sale ends Monday I believe.

Stick with Steam if you do multiplayer. Mac ports are typically limited to matchmaking via Game Center unless the developer spends a lot of time and resources to rebuild multiplayer from the ground up. A prior post in this thread links to a lengthy explanation on why this is so. :D
It's the multiplayer thing that's so confusing. Some MAS buyers of COD say they can't use multiplayer at all, others don't report this as a problem. It's sort of pot luck.

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
I'm not much into games, but Civ has always been one of my favorites. I tried to buy Civ V Complete but I can't seem to find it on the Mac App Store. Clicking "buy now" takes me directly to Steam. I don't want to join up with some "gaming community" to download and play one game. Does anyone here know how I can get the game on the Mac App Store?

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I'm not much into games, but Civ has always been one of my favorites. I tried to buy Civ V Complete but I can't seem to find it on the Mac App Store. Clicking "buy now" takes me directly to Steam. I don't want to join up with some "gaming community" to download and play one game. Does anyone here know how I can get the game on the Mac App Store?
I don't know about the Mac Store (MAS) but you can completely ignore the "gaming community" part of Steam and still get tremendous value from the service.

1. Updates come sooner and more reliably than the MAS.
2. Developer support in general is going to be more robust because Steam is likely a bigger source of revenue.
3. Cloud data (mostly saved games) on Steam is more reliable than cloud data in iCloud.
4. Your purchase includes a license for all possible platforms. So if you're ever on a windows machine (maybe a work laptop?) you have full access to everything you purchased.

There are probly a few more good ones but this much at least is off the top of my head.

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
I don't know about the Mac Store (MAS) but you can completely ignore the "gaming community" part of Steam and still get tremendous value from the service.

1. Updates come sooner and more reliably than the MAS.
2. Developer support in general is going to be more robust because Steam is likely a bigger source of revenue.
3. Cloud data (mostly saved games) on Steam is more reliable than cloud data in iCloud.
4. Your purchase includes a license for all possible platforms. So if you're ever on a windows machine (maybe a work laptop?) you have full access to everything you purchased.

There are probly a few more good ones but this much at least is off the top of my head.
Thanks for the input. None of that would really apply to me though.
The game came out in 2010, so I doubt there are going to be much in the update path for it at any point in the future. No need of a multi-platform license at all. I just want to run this on the home iMac. I'm fortunate that I can run my business off my iPhone so no Windows in this life, thankfully! Regarding the cloud data... I must be missing something there - why would I need cloud data for a game?

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
Thanks for the input. None of that would really apply to me though.
The game came out in 2010, so I doubt there are going to be much in the update path for it at any point in the future. No need of a multi-platform license at all. I just want to run this on the home iMac. I'm fortunate that I can run my business off my iPhone so no Windows in this life, thankfully! Regarding the cloud data... I must be missing something there - why would I need cloud data for a game?
If you delete the game and then reinstall it a year later... all your saves will be there waiting for you. :D

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
If you delete the game and then reinstall it a year later... all your saves will be there waiting for you. :D
Also, for those who use multiple computers (e.g., an iMac and a MacBook), your saves will be available from all machines that sync to the cloud.

Reactions: bpcookson