Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by ManhattanPrjct, May 21, 2010.

1. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

Just noticed it's now available for pre-order - to be released November 1st.

I am playing AC2 now, and I have to say, while the game is entertaining, I feel like I paid the right price for it ($25 used). It's a little surprising Ubisoft's follow-up is being released so soon after AC2... maybe it'll be a "continuation" and not a "sequel" (which implies wholesale improvement in game engine). I guess the MP addition is worth something!

Plot: "Live and breathe as Ezio, a legendary Master Assassin, in his enduring struggle against the powerful Templar Order. He must journey into Italy’s greatest city, Rome, center of power, greed and corruption to strike at the heart of the enemy. Defeating the corrupt tyrants entrenched there will require not only strength, but leadership, as Ezio commands an entire Brotherhood who will rally to his side. Only by working together can the Assassins defeat their mortal enemies and prevent the extinction of their Order. And for the first time, introducing a never-before-seen multiplayer layer that allows you to choose from a wide range of Assassin characters, each with their own unique weapons and assassination techniques, and match your skills against other Assassins from around the world. It’s time to join the Brotherhood."

2. kid1008000 macrumors newbie

Thanks for this, but where did you say you bought this off again?

3. rezenclowd3, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    I know this isn't constructive as constructive as many would like, but I just want to say it:

My thoughts on the AC games:
    "Hold A for 10 hours to complete game.":cool:

If there was more depth to the actual gameplay and controller, I would quite enjoy this series.

4. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

I agree that the game overall was quite easy. But I still loved it for some reason. I liked Ezio and I looooved the Renaissance Italy setting. I watched some gameplay footage for Brotherhood showing off some new abilities. I'm not sure it'll actually make the game harder per se. There were a couple of times that I found free running to be challenging (tombs mostly) in AC2. I hope they have refined that aspect even further for Brotherhood. Sometimes I would just nose dive off a tall building into a cobblestone street. Not the sort of thing a super smooth assassin would do...

Either way, I'm the type who (usually) waits until prices dip before I pick up a game, so it'll be awhile before I find out.

5. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

If that's your thoughts, you couldn't have played AC2 much. As the other poster mentioned, the tombs can be quite complex and knowing what to do and where to go next is important. In fact I got to a point in one tomb where I didn't know what to do and I wish they would create a hint system where it would tell you where you have to go next. In some cases AC2 required combinations of different key presses to get things done.

The mutli-player in AC:Brotherhood looks like an interesting addition that adds MP to the game in AC style. It's not simply adding MP deathmatch as other games have done, but a multi-player that actually fits into the AC style of play.

6. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

I smell a troll...the assassins creed games are awesome,what are you talking about ?

7. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I was probably one of the few people who loved the first installment. Still haven't played the second as my 360 went kaput. Im glad the series is doing well though, i thought many people were too harsh on the first one

8. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I enjoyed the first one for awhile...but it got really tedious and repetitive, and the simple game mechanics just became too obvious and predictable after awhile. I sold my copy on Ebay on the day I finished it.

I skipped part 2, but now with the release of Brotherhood the series has caught my attention again, so I am planning to pick up AC2 (now in the half-price region!) very soon. Apparently they did improve a lot of the stuff that bothered me in the first one!

9. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Invalid :cool:

(To the others, you'd get it if you read the thread "Post your last purchase XIV") :D

No, just stating my thoughts on the 2 games that I rented, gave a thorough chance, but still returned after less than 2 hours of gameplay each. I agree with the first sentence of the poster above. Sorry, boring and overly easy. If you enjoyed it, congrats for having your own opinion and voicing it.

10. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Picked up ACII for 30 bucks and started playing last night. So far, it looks nice, but I haven't really been able to get into it. Only played about an hour though.

I think what bothers me most is that you see all those busy "digital" elements from the animus the entire time...little displays that pop up, the "synchronizing", etc...it kind of kills the immersion factor for me when the game keeps reminding me every 10 seconds that "THIS WORLD IS NOT REAL, IT'S JUST A DIGITAL SIMULATION".

Italy is a beautiful setting for the game, and I would love to get lost in it, but so far, it's just too busy with all the digital stuff. But it also still feels like a tutorial phase of the game, maybe it will be a little more relaxed later on...

11. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

@Taustin Powers ^^What is a animus ? I think you mean the "HUD" ?? One hour is little time to criticize a game ?...AC2 is awesome

12. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

If I have to explain the term "animus" to you, I am probably more qualified to criticize this game than you are. :rolleyes:

13. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

Nice try, but that was lame

14. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Ah well, if you say so. You are obviously cooler and smarter than I am, so I am not going to argue. :cool:

15. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Hahaha. +1:p

The animus is the system used to recall the memories through DNA.

16. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

Invalid...

17. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Cool online persona, bro. Your posts are an inspiration for us all. Are you just as cool in real life?

:confused:

18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

IIRC, in AC2 they added indicators over guards' heads to show their threat/awareness level. This was the first thing I turned off - for me they interfere with the immersive nature of the game.

In fact, one thing that bugs me about many games is how they rely too much on HUDS or the mini-map rather than on the game engine itself. For instance, there are several chases in AC/AC2 which would be near impossible without using the mini-map; but that just means you're chasing a dot around a 2D map - you might as well be playing Pac-man!

Wouldn't it be much better if the character you were chasing left real-world tracks behind him. Foot prints.. maybe he kicks up a cloud of dust which hangs in the air, maybe he knocks stuff down when he climbs buildings so you know to look up and see him. For me, this would be far more fun and immersive than just following a dot.

19. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

You need to get a girlfriend

20. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

I think 2 hookers and an 8 ball got to you partyBoy. Education would be good for you:)

(Just having a little fun because of your username. Gosh knows I'd love to change mine....but alas I created it WAY before I knew it's implications)

But honestly buddy, people are allowed, and encouraged to have opinions. When arguing a point, it is best to have more background knowledge than your competition, for example you not knowing what the "Animus" is. I have made similar stupid mistakes when arguing a point before, and it always makes one look foolish online because someone will inevitably point out your mistakes. Such is the way of the series of tubes. :cool: (youtube series of tubes if you don't get the reference)

I feel that most games coming out in the past decade are overly simplistic, and fail to achieve the triple A status that they could have been.

21. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

My type of party:p

22. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Worst advice ever. My girlfriend would be royally pissed if I brought home a new one! :D

Seriously though, you need to come up with better one-liners. Your act is pretty lame.

23. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I love the immersive feel of the game too. The HUD drives me crazy and I feel like it takes away from the game

24. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Apologies for the stooopid question but is Brotherhood a single-player game as well? I looked at a box in a local shop and it said multiplayer only.. Or is there more than one version?

If it's single-player too - how long is the campaign? Is it as long as AC/AC2?

25. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yes, AC Brotherhood also has a singe-player story mode. Not sure how long it is versus AC2 but I do know there are 9 sequences in it.

As to the HUD complaints, AC:B now lets you turn the HUD off!