Assassin's Creed II

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gibbz, Nov 15, 2009.

1. gibbz macrumors 68030

Who is going to get Assassin's Creed II? I pre-ordered mine last week for only $31 on Amazon!! (used a $20 coupon that came when getting CoD MW2)

The additions and storyline look pretty awesome. It looks like this one may be a little less repetitive than the original. I can't wait until Tuesday.

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I've got it preordered in a bundle with a 250GB PS3 Slim (second PS3, I have an original 60GB launch model with a 320GB HDD in).

I'm hoping ACII will be a step up over AC, as the original looked pretty but got repetitive quite fast. However, I've heard only good things so far.

3. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I've got the same $31 order, I'll be playing it tomorrow. Ordered the PS3 version because I also plan on getting the PSP one.

4. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

I just preordered it earlier today, planning on picking it up at midnight. I'm excited!

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Im not pre-ordering it. I wasnt that blown away by 1st one.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I hoped it would be dynamically different to the first and much improved. From the video footage and preview missions I have seen, it is not. Therefore I don't need another AC game to get bored 20% into the story.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Exactly...It was the same for me but I was only 5% in and got totally bored with the thing and never touched it again. I'm really hoping it MUCH better because I plan on giving it another chance.

Bless

8. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

I'm a couple hours in, and it's pretty sweet so far.

9. gibbz thread starter macrumors 68030

Good to hear. Mine is out for delivery. Can't wait.

10. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

11. Nuck81 macrumors regular

It's worth a rent for me, I didn't like the first one enough to buy...

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

in austria the first day release got the extra bonus map "arsenal shipyard" included in the "standard edition"
    and to top it off a retailer had a special deal where you would get the 2 other extra maps "palazzo medici" "santa maria die frari" with the game as well

which means i got the 3 bonus maps of the limited black edition for the price of the normal edition

installing now...

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Some decent weekend/first day offers in Ireland too.

I managed to pick up the Limited Edition with the Belt & Enzio statue, plus the bonus maps for €39.99 - €5 store discount = €34.99 (normal price games are €54.99) :)

Wasn't in a rush to get the game, but when I saw the deal I had to go for it. I bought the 360 version, installing it to the HDD now :)

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm surprised theres still a difference between big mofo AAA releases.

Bought this (and L4D1, both on Xbox) for my brother for christmas. So come Jan I'll finally get a go. I liked the original but not enough to really want to play another, similar game.

15. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I liked the first one a lot but I will wait for a price drop on this one.

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I have the Master Assassin's Edition that I pre-ordered thru GameStop. It includes two exclusive in-game maps (Palazzo Medici, Santa Maria Dei Frari) and a 8.5" tall Ezio Statuette, among other things.

17. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I absolutely love this game. :) Best I've played in a loong time.

Looks beautiful.. a lot more variety in the gameplay and missions. Seems to balance the storyline & free-roaming play well. You neither feel you're stuck on rails, nor wandering around for no purpose.

(But then I liked AC 1 too, in spite of the repetitiveness of the missions, so feel free to take with a pinch of salt..)

18. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

It's really surprising how much AC2 goes away from the basic mission structure in AC1, and actually has missions that relate more to a story.

19. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I'd love to get this game, but things are a tad tight right now and I already have my recent game purchase with Modern Warfare 2, so I'm gonna have to wait for this one. :(

Hopefully more money will be in my immediate future. I'm at that phase at DigiPen where I start submitting resumés and have interviews. As of late I've been trying my hand at Microsoft, Gas-Powered Games, Neversoft, Zynga, Disney Interactive, and LucasArts.

20. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Just finished the main story line (at least I think so?) and it is a surprise. No spoilers out of me. Beat it yourself :D

Time to go find all the feathers and treasure.

21. Sobek macrumors newbie

I've was interested in ACI but never got around to getting it, but ACII has really got me interested - mainly due to the settings as I know Florence & Venice well.

But - do I need to have played ACI for backstory? It's cheap enough to pick up these days, about £10 on ebay rather than the easier but more expensive option of a direct download from XBL (£20!!). Should I get it first?

22. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

You would be able to follow the story to a point and still enjoy it. I would suggest at least watching these if you don't want to spend the time playing AC. It did get tedious and repetitive.

23. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I actually really liked AC (must have a very high boredom threshold) but ACII certainly has a stronger, more varied story to it, and without forcing the gamer along a linear path.

What I really like too is how, very unlike AC, the game changes as you progress through it. In AC, after a couple of hours, you knew exactly what you'll be doing all the way to the end, but in ACII there are new gameplay elements added, new collectables as you progress. And most of the collectables aren't just ("You have 239 of 300 Wotsits"), but lead to useful money/info/weapons/techniques/backstory.

You don't need to, no. They do try and quickly fill in the backstory at the start of ACII, so you should be ok. The one thing which you might not realise if you've not played AC, is (and I don't think this is a spoiler of either game) that "Altair" who is often mentioned in the second game, is the character you play in the first.

24. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

Is it easier to jump into the sequel than any of the MGS games? :D

25. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Probably much more so; considering you play a new character in this game (kind of..) so it's new to everyone. It's only the 'scenario' which requires some explaining, and you could do that in a couple of sentences.