Assassin's Creed II

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by themoonisdown09, Jan 4, 2010.

1. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I just beat the first Assassin's Creed over the Christmas break and I loved it. It was a bit repetitive, but it didn't really bother me since I loved the whole concept.

I ordered Assassin's Creed II last week for my PS3 and should get it sometime this week. I'm so excited about playing it after all the good reviews I've read about it.

I was wondering what people thought about the game on here. Please, don't mention any spoilers.

2. Nuck81 macrumors regular

I just picked up the first Assassins Creed for $20. It's a good game and is right up my alley since I love the whole Adventure/Explorer genre.

I've currently got three games I'm working on but as soon as I'm done with AC i'll look for a copy of ACII

3. gibbz macrumors 68030

I have ACII and I think it is a nice improvement over ACI. Just overall gameplay, features, etc. are better IMHO.

I think you'll enjoy it.

4. airwalke macrumors member

Yeah, if you liked the first Assassin's Creed, you should definitely dig the second one. Overall, I really enjoyed the first game, but the sequel is just an improvement across the board. The social AI is much more intelligent; one thing that really bothered me about AC1 is that as soon as I did something "socially awkward" in game, the crowd around me would become really offended and the guards would start chasing me. (He climbed onto a box! THAT'S HIM, GET HIM!) Missions are not as repetitive, the main character is much more likeable. So far, I'm just really impressed.

5. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

6. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

Would I need to have played AC to understand what's going on in AC2?

7. themoonisdown09 thread starter macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I beat Assassin's Creed II this weekend and it was amazing! I do believe this is my favorite game. I really love the story and I'm ready to find out what's going to happen in the third one (which probably won't come out for another 2 years).

You don't necessarily have to play the first one, but you should probably read the plot on Wikipedia or something to understand what has happened.

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Alright, pent up rant time.

I'll start with nice things. The graphics are very nice. The clothing in particularly looks awesome on Ezio and the cities are very pretty. The skin texturing is horrid, making most look like they have a layer or two of varnish on them, but thats okay.

The cities are very well laid out and feel big.

Killing dudes looks cool, and feels cool.

Thats about it.

I can't get over how boring and ho-hum this game is. Kill a guy because he made you mad, then repeat. OH! but wait, I have to kill him before he runs in the church! And he has tons of body guards! Oh... all I have to do is climb on the roof and throw a knife at him, or hire some sluts who happen to be standing RIGHT outside the gates and woo the guards away so I can stab him. Rinse and repeat.

But there is still to collect.... like feathers.... which do nothing.... OH! But there is codex pages. .... oh... all I have to do is again use whores or mercs who happen to be standing right outside the door I need to get the guards away from (because, you can only get the codex page if you are not causing trouble for some unexplained reason), so I pay the hookers 150$ (which is mere pittance after a while, the game practically heaves money into your pocket) to show their goods at the guards while I walk in, grab the damn page, walk over to Leonardo Da Vinci, who will say the SAME DAMN LINE EACH FREAKIN' TIME "Hmmm... let me see... I move this here and that there....AHA!.... I GOT IT!" then walk back to my house and put the page on the wall.

Death is really not any threat at all since you can carry half a dozen potions around with you at any time which have no cool-down time or anything so just chug some down if a guard hits you then carry on. And if you happen to run out, don't fret since a doctor is around every corner who will heal you for pennies and will refill your potions too. About the only time you need them is when you fall some distance after Ezio does something you don't want him to because the controls are floaty and the game gives no indication if you can make a jump or not. But most times there are one of a seeminly infinite number of wagons of hay to jump into so even falling to your death is rare. And what the hell is with the game making MOVING complicated? Push the stick to walk, hold A to walk faster, hold right trigger plus A to run, hold right trigger and mash on A to sprint. Why not make it like every other game and to walk you tilt a little, to run more, to sprint hold A.

Wandering around is slow and tedious since the game wants you to go from one end of the city to the other, which is made all the more annoying that climbing on roofs gets you in trouble with guards, which is annoying only in the sense that it takes valuble seconds to use the games equally boring combat system. Hold a button to block, then when a guard swings, push another button to instantly kill him in some horribly gruesome fashion (which I'll grant looks cool), repeat for the next 6 guys. Oops, now my infamy meter is full. Darn. Guess I have to press B on a few pages magically stuck to random walls to get rid of it, or pay some dude $500 to make it go away. And speaking to tedious, the map is all veiled in the fog of war until you climb on of 66 towers to "sync" with them to reveal a portion of the map. It's rarely fun to climb the towers since the climbing is essentially done for you. Just hold up on the stick until he stops, then press A to jump up, then hold up again.

But I have just wasted a bunch of money on hookers, soldiers, giving it to average people so I can cringe when I hear "MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!!" for the 1000000th time, so I need more. Well, I need to check back in at my villa to grab my cash. Hmmm... well I suppose I need to run through the town (which again is slow and tedious) to the stables, where I sit through a load screen, then get to my hometown, run through it to my house (YET AGAIN, slow and tedious), out into the house, grab the money, then do the reverse to get back to where I was. Oh, but while home I partake in the the much talked about economic system. And just like economics classes, it's a waste of time. I go into a menu, after hearing the architect say FOR THE 100TH TIME THE SAME THING, simply click "Buy" to as much as I can afford then leave. That's it. Why not just give me the damn money in my pocket to begin with?! Why not just let me warp to my house instantly?!

But the game is edgy, your mom says Vagina :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I feel better. *ahh* How this game is talked about in the same league as Uncharted 2 or Batman is beyond me.

9. Foreign Feeling macrumors member

I love it. I borrowed it from a friend (both copies 1st and 2nd) and I'm halfway through the second one (at least I think). Though it is a bit easy, I think many of the features of the game make up for it, such as the free running, the kill animations, and the story.

10. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    I fully agree with your whole post. The game is so very boring, and much to simple. Glad I rented it through Gamefly first to give it a shot.

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I just beat it yesterday (got all the achievements too yay). I enjoyed it. I thought the plot was fun and I'm interested in the 3rd one. The gameplay was much improved from the first one too. It's not the best game ever by any means but it was worth the play I thought.

12. Foreign Feeling macrumors member

I think compared to the first one, the second one improves on the quality of the game soo much more. the first one had was soo repetitve so if you thought the second one was boring, just try playing the first one, it was god awful now that I think of it in terms of gameplay.

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well i would say in a heartbeat Batman: AA is the best comic hero franchise game ever made but don't overrate it (apart of the scarecrow scenes ... those were brilliant)

for somebody who did grow up without batman (or any other super-hero) comics i sure always felt i was missing out a lot of stuff which is simply "fan-service" ...

i didn't knew AC1's story and still the second one was brilliant.. if i hadn't seen all the movies and some episodes of the old live series and the original animated series i would have been rather lost with batman

and the batman boss fights sure weren't the best either.. the joker fight was rather meh in the end...

i played both and you obviously love batman way too much .. in fact i would even say infamous was a better game than batman
    IMHO a movie would have been better than a game for batman AA

14. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

AC2 is awesome i like the fact that you can run on the roofs and i like when your on the edge of a bldg and you just yank the enemy and he falls to the ground...the game IS NOT boring like some people have said in this thread...it is brillant !

15. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

I first played AC2 and now I am about a quarter of the way on AC1 so I did it backwards but I love the game. The freerunning and the assassin kills are the best part of the game and I can't wait for AC3!

16. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

Stay tuned for level progress...gamefly said "we've shipped"

[​IMG]

17. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

Ok so i am on the 2nd mission after the wing thing that flies mission...since ac2 does not go by levels but my memories,which i dont know which one i am on ?

18. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

I finally finished the game...can't wait till november for assassin's creed 3

19. radleywotson macrumors newbie

Assassin's Creed 2 is one of the best games of the year in my opinion. The story, soundtrack, voices, and everything about the sound is stellar.
    This is what Assassin's Creed needed to be!

20. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Call me the odd man out but after playing through both, I found that I enjoyed AC1 more than 2. I'm not saying I thought AC2 was bad, it clearly had more depth and polish, but the setting, story, characters (Altair), and time period of the first game just resonated with me much more, and ended up in making the better experience.

It didn't help that my favorite part about AC1 was those great "philosophical discussions" that Altair and his marks had after he killed them. They were engaging and pretty deep. In contrast, the "conversations" that Ezio had with his targets were lame in comparison.

Also, for some reason I can't really explain, the cities in AC1 seemed that much more believable than in AC2. It's hard for me to describe, but when I ran around cities in AC1 it really seemed like they were alive and inhabited. In AC2 they came across more as static landscapes populated by computer AIs walking around. I know it's wierd that I feel this way because I know there are obvious improvements in AC2 vs AC1 (crowd blending mechanic, shops, etc) but it just didn't quite capture that same "feel" as the cities in the original. Again maybe it was that I loved the time period and setting of the first so much, that my impressions have been colored.

Ruahrc