Assassins Creed - MBP

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by digitalpencil, Apr 15, 2008.

1. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Anyone managed to get AC working on an MBP? Or is just not worth bothering with?

2. Oraichu macrumors newbie

It runs perfect

... why wouldnt anyone bother? o_O

I run it at full graphics at 1200x720, with good framerate.

3. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Haven't played it on the Mac but if that is the only format available to you then go for it - highly recommended game.

4. digitalpencil thread starter macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

I heard it was like Crysis for system resources and haven't seen any reports of it running on an MBP (you generally see youtube vids for all new games)

Great that it runs though, didn't want to buy it until I found out I could run it.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I run it at 1440x900 @ all max in XP. Minor lag, but at least 30 fps even outdoors.

6. c7blackjack macrumors newbie

help

How did you get it to run? did you have to do anything special. Because mine keeps quiting out while loading the game.

7. Oraichu macrumors newbie

I also read an article on the net about AC needing more PC power than Crysis.

... but this is ******** you know. ;) AC got higher MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS. While Crysis got probably 5 times the Maximum Requirement as AC. ;)

Sorry dude... but it sounds like you've downloaded the game. I know the downloaded version had problems with crashing. And that you couldnt get past Jerusalem within the game(These have been fixed in newer versions anyhow...).

8. steinlager macrumors regular

I played AC with 1200x800 at high graphics. No problems.

9. hybryd131 macrumors newbie

I just started playing AC on my MBP this weekend running 1920x1200 on an external monitor but had to turn some of the effects down. For reference I have also played Crysis through. Both play perfectly if you don't have shadows etc. turned all the way up.

10. Barham macrumors regular

You know, it never fails to amaze me, the MacRumors definition of perfect when it comes to game framerate and playability. Why is it that people seem so determined to use that word, "perfect"? I have the new 2.4 MBP and I can't run World of Warcraft "perfectly". Don't get me wrong, this machine is excellent and plays that game really really well (steady ~100fps in old areas, ~60fps in outland). But that's not 'perfect'. It stutters heavily when loading things from the disc (as it should considering it has a 5400rpm drive). I would be shocked if this machine could play AC 'perfectly'. Not to mention, the act of reducing graphical settings takes it out of the 'perfect' category.

In my experience the XBox 360 version of this game is excellent, though the game itself has some flaws. Please refrain from using this term 'perfect' unless it runs as well and looks as good as the 360 version (or PS3 for that matter, though my experience there is only based on HD vids that I've seen).

That said, I would give it a try. It will probably be a bearable experience if you don't have a 360 or PS3, but don't overestimate your machine. They're great, but physics only allows for so much power in such a package at this point in time.

11. c7blackjack macrumors newbie

"Perfect"

I'll admit that this game does have some flaws, but once i finally got it running on my MBP, it runs better than my friends Dual 3.06 GHZ tower. Granted i have a better graphics card, but the case for AC does say that they don't support the laptop versions of these graphics cards. My friend even said that even without all the settings at full, i have a much more crisp picture and more detailed images of the buildings.:)

12. MacBain macrumors newbie

How do you get it to run so smothly? My game runs very bad on my mbp. never more than 20fps even if I run everything on low. I have windows XP pro sp2 through bootcamp.:(

What drivers etc are you using?

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Have not tried AC yet but COD4 runs better once a defrag app was used in windows. I use Diskeeper. Before defrag it will stutter occasionally while something is loading, with the program installed no stuttering that I remembered.

Some might want to update their Bootcamp drivers http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/windows/
    or try these graphic card drivers
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5377806#post5377806

For those that don't realize it, there are DIFFERENT versions of MBP with various video cards, various HD capacity, various HD speed, so it might work well for some MBP but not others with older MBPs. But defragging windows regularly will improve the speed.

Barefeats.com has gaming performance of different MBPs.

It's also better to run an external monitor with internal LCD turned off for gaming, so no power is used by LCD board and more power can go to processor, and less heat from the LCD power converter being off.