Assembling iPhone 4s or iPad 2 at home.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by F4ctor, Sep 22, 2012.

1. F4ctor, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

F4ctor macrumors newbie

Hello. I thought about one crazy idea. That idea is to get all parts for iPad or iPhone, and assemble it myself at home. One downside is, no logic board. Only thing that I can find pcb's for Logic boards, but i can't find chips for them to solder on them so, is it possible to get a new logicboard not from ebay where it cost like 200 dollars or 130 pounds. But cheaper, because I found logic boards which say for iPad 2, but I think they are fake, and wouldn't work in it. Here it is for iPad 2 and for iPhone This one Are they fake or not? If so please tell me where I can get good ones, because this would be a project worth watching.

2. F4ctor thread starter macrumors newbie

3. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I guess you could find every part from other retailers, save for the logic board, but is it worth the hassle, compared to the price of a second hand unit?

You don't HAVE to have the latest tech, you know? ;)

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

You'd not only need all the parts, but things such as tape adhesive and screws as well. I'm not sure if you can find all of the right ones for electronic specific use.

5. F4ctor thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I thought about that, but luckly, I can find all screws, tape or other needed parts. Just logic board is missing.

Yeah, I know that I don't have to have latest tech, but still, iPhone 4s or iPad 2 isn't new. Still, it would be a project worth doing, or, I will get android powered phone. And personally I think, this is worth it, because you don't know what you get in second hand unit, it may be water damaged, and repaired so it could be sold. Or other crazy ***** done.

6. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

7. F4ctor thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah, ask for help and find post saying this is spam. I may say same thing about your post, it makes no sense at this topic so it's off topic. If you can help me or give useful advice then write it, otherwise, don't write nonsense and go back to main page of forum. Thank you, have a nice day.

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

How much is your time worth?

You say you don't trust second-hand, yet you'll trust a bunch of random separately-bought components?

Even if your time is only worth U.S. minimum wage, you'll probably be financially losing doing this.

Obviously, if you consider the assembly to be a learning experience worth the time investment, do it. But don't try to use the excuse that it's cheaper. Especially when your alternative is an Android.

You can get an iPhone 4 on-contract for *FREE*, a 4S for $99. Presumably you would get cellular service for the device, therefore buying the parts and assembling will not possibly be cheaper than buying a complete one.

9. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

You can say the same thing about my post? Do I have hyperlinks going to random websites within my post? And am I a brand new user? Also, this is a forum, and you are not a moderator, so I will write what I like where I like, as long as it doesn't break any forum rules.

However, I appreciate your intellectual input.

10. F4ctor thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, this would be cheaper, since I don't live in US. Second, it would be worth my time, because I don't want to get contract and other stuff. And Third one, about random components, simply, I know those components are brand new, and no dumb fat kid did sorts of stuff to that part and it's aint messed up. Android is the way to go - yep, but still, I want to try something new, because in our country iPhone cost ~900-1000$. No kidding.

I don't think that person who asks for help, may be a spam bot. And it doesn't matter that I'm a new user who registered here recently, fact is, I don't want to go and be like " Buy this ****** you don't need" I'm asking if those logic boards are good or not. Thank you, have a nice day.

P.S. I can't say DON'T POST IN MY THREAD, I say, if you don't like what you see, and you can't help just don't bother writting, you may be just wasting your time. :)

11. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

If you find a logic board, it will probably be 2nd hand, taken from a damaged phone, and 3rd party parts are often knock-offs. For instance, for an iPhone 4, you can buy a $5 camera alright, but it won't have autofocus.