Assessing Performance

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by rokey, Sep 21, 2011.

1. rokey macrumors member

Mac mini Mid 2011
    i5 2.3GHz (98% Idle)
    500GB HDD (75% empty)
    8GB RAM 1333 MHz DDR3 (70% available)
    1 hour uptime
    Disk permissions repaired 2 hours ago
    Only Chrome and Mail running in the foreground

Some tasks take a while to complete, and dont max (or even HEAVILY increase) CPU usage. For example, I can launch iPhoto (which takes 21 seconds to become fully operational) and 3 out of 4 CPU threads will remain 90% (or more) idle, while one thread will be nearly maxed.

Why do some things seem to lag like this?
    All help is greatly appreciated!!!

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Launching applications is almost always delayed by your hard drive. If you wanted to see that go away you'd need an SSD. I have one and I just timed my launch for iPhoto. It was 2 seconds to become fully operational.

3. rokey thread starter macrumors member

That is one thing that I seriously considered already, I suppose my worry about that idea however is that, when launching iPhoto (with over 55GB of files) my HDD never reaches a Read or Write speed higher than 5 MB/s.

Now, I know that SSDs can have very fast max read/write speeds, but my HDD shouldn't be limited to that 5MB/s.

Thanks for your reply!

4. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The HDD is limited by random or small read/writes. SSDs really excel in this area. For example OWC claims their Pro 6G is up to 98 times faster. The reason is 4k read/write when a standard HDD only manages less than to slightly more than 1MB/s.

5. rokey thread starter macrumors member

Well now that makes a ton of sense in the long run. For the last month I've been eyeballing a 512GB SSD on the egg but it's still up around $800, a little high for my wallet. Do I need a drive just big enough for my OS + Apps, or OS + Apps + their files (like the iPhoto Library)

6. rokey thread starter macrumors member

also, i've been starting to get an issue with spotlight. it runs very sluggish sometimes, and sometimes once i start typing a search the spotlight bar gets um... lost?