assessing water damage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Craftysince86, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Craftysince86 macrumors newbie

i googled it, i know it seems like a super rhetorical topic but was not satisfied with all the advice given, so i took mine apart. didn't want to wait to week for it dry out or stick it in a giant bag of rice etc. nearing finals and this could not have happened at a worse time

anyway, i took it all apart... fair warning i am a computer noob, but was wondering if in fact my logic board was shorted would i be able to tell by looking at it? i assume there would be the heat marks and discoloration like any heat/electrical damage.

i spilled a very little amount of water onto the key board, maybe a table spoon if even that. flipped it and turned it off right away, wiped it down of course and let it sit for a few hours. charges with green light, but the battery level on the side does not display nor does it turn on. thats when i decided to take it apart, and thats about where i am right now :confused:

any help appreciated of course

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

There's a good chance the damage is invisible. Take it to an Apple service center and have it checked out.

3. Craftysince86 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i was thinking that... was hoping maybe i could see how far the water had seeped in, i didnt see any wet spots on the logic board, or even anywhere else as a matter of fact. also hoping it would help with the drying process if it was all in pieces

should i refrain from trying to start it up?

4. /user/me macrumors 6502

In short, yes. At least until you get it checked out.

5. Craftysince86 thread starter macrumors newbie

i guess nothing left to do but cross my fingers really

is it possible that plugging it in could have caused any further damage? when i first plugged it in there was no indicator light on the charger, i tried to turn it on nothing. i tried the charger on another macbook and it was working so i plugged it back into mine and it lit up this time, i left it on for minute, but still it wouldn't turn on nor did the battery level on the side function. thats when i started to disassemble

6. /user/me macrumors 6502

Once you spill water on an electronic device, all bets are off. There's no way to check without bringing it in, unless you have an ohm meter and are good with electronics.

7. Craftysince86 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have neither :(

thanks for all the quick responses fellas

8. Craftysince86 thread starter macrumors newbie

I re assembled and cleaned it out good with some air and hit it with a blow dryer on the inside the chasis as well as the logic board, let it sit all night in pieces I just assembled it and the battery meter on the side is now working! Not sure if I should try and turn it on but I am now hopeful