Assign Text alerts to people? Can it be done

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by westernmass, Jan 29, 2008.

1. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

I seached here and could not find specifically the answer. Is it possible (none hacked phone) to assign text alerts sounds to people? I mean my wife would get X tone, my friends Y tone etc... Like ringtones assigned when they call but for when they text me. Would or could this be possible?

2. oseary macrumors member

It is not possible. Sorry!

3. westernmass thread starter macrumors 6502

westernmass

4. rmk8838 macrumors newbie

updates?

Is it still true now (fall 2010) that one cannot assign different text tones to different contacts? Is this possible if one has a jailbroken phone?

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

On a stock phone running current firmware, it's not possible. On the 4.2 beta, someone reported a couple of days ago that the stock text sounds could now be assigned to contacts, but there was no sign yet of the ability to add custom tones for texts.

On a jailbroken phone, the stock text tones can be changed to custom sounds. Additionally, the latest beta of the Cydia app BiteSMS allows you to assign any ringtone on your phone to any contact, not just the stock text alerts. This feature is only compatible for iOS 4.0-4.0.1. Bite is so versatile, it's well worth JB'ing for all on its own.